Carry Airsoft gun to India

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
GoldenEagle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Carry Airsoft gun to India

Post by GoldenEagle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Hello guys,

I have placed an order for an air soft pistol from Airsoftgi.com,U.S.A.

My friend who who owns a gun license is planning to bring it to India with him.

I would like to know if anybody has faced any problems while carrying it along with yourself from some other country.

As far as I know, It is just an Air soft gun and bringing it with you shouldn't be a problem.

Kindly advice!

Thank you.
Cheers,
GoldenEagle

For Advertising mail webmaster
sniper22
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Carry Airsoft gun to India

Post by sniper22 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Hello GoldenEagle,

Carrying an air soft gun in personal baggage should not be a problem as long as its in the check in baggage and the airline made aware of it.

And as far as customs here in India is concerned its not a problem. I carried an air soft pistol back from one of my trips and had no problems.

sniper22

shadowsabhi
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by shadowsabhi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:05 pm

hey golden eagle i want your phone number please pm it :)

GoldenEagle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by GoldenEagle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Thank you sniper22 for your advice.

But, Its a Full metal gun. Are you sure that won't be a problem? May I also please know if carrying BBs is allowed? Do you have any suggestions on what my friend should tell the authorities if they confront him. Can you please tell me how you convinced the authorities?

Thank you sniper22 once again for your advice.
Cheers,
GoldenEagle

sniper22
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sniper22 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:10 pm

The air soft pistol that I have is all metal and gas blow back and I too was carrying BB's(non metal) along with the gun. The customs at Mumbai airport noticed the gun while scanning the bag and I told them it was an air soft gun and they didn't have a problem with it. I was not even asked to open my bag. Going as per my experience I don't think its going to be a problem.

sniper22

GoldenEagle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by GoldenEagle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Hmm..Hope everything goes smooth..Well, the person who is bringing it is an American Citizen. Will that cause any problem?
Cheers,
GoldenEagle

sniper22
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sniper22 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:29 pm

I don't think that should really matter, but I suggest he carry it in its original box along with the manual which will make things easier for him to clarify if he is questioned.

sniper22

GoldenEagle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by GoldenEagle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Okay! :) Thank you so much for your advice,Sir . I will keep you posted.
Cheers,
GoldenEagle

airguns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by airguns » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:31 am

Well, if not already purchased, do not import the airsoft pistol. Instead import one of the German built Umarex Co2(pick your fancy Walther, Colt, Beretta etc.) .177 Pistols. Most airsofts are basically Taiwanese built toys, very low power and hardly any accuracy. On the other hand the Umarex pistols (actually they are Co2 revolvers, that look like pistols), are well built and realistic repilicas of their firearms counterparts, require no licence, have reasonably good power and can actually shoot nice groups upto 20 yards with quality Lead pellets.

Like Airsoft they do not require a Licence. If carried as baggage (Umarex Pistols are treated as airguns) the hassles of importing one are minimal.

BTW, most airsoft and regular Co2 pistols use Co2 cartridges, which are not allowed to be carried in checked baggage. So make sure you can source these locally (usually available for around Rs. 150, per cartridge, in major metros), otherwise consider importing a springer or pump.

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:28 pm

is it fine to get an airsoft pistol with metal BBs ?
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

sniper22
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sniper22 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:55 pm

airguns wrote: Most airsofts are basically Taiwanese built toys, very low power and hardly any accuracy. On the other hand the Umarex pistols (actually they are Co2 revolvers, that look like pistols), are well built and realistic repilicas of their firearms counterparts, require no licence, have reasonably good power and can actually shoot nice groups upto 20 yards with quality Lead pellets.

Like Airsoft they do not require a Licence. If carried as baggage (Umarex Pistols are treated as airguns) the hassles of importing one are minimal.

BTW, most airsoft and regular Co2 pistols use Co2 cartridges, which are not allowed to be carried in checked baggage. So make sure you can source these locally (usually available for around Rs. 150, per cartridge, in major metros), otherwise consider importing a springer or pump.
Would agree with airguns on the accuracy bit but surely don't treat them like toys as they too can cause injury and damage if not cautious. The .177 pellet CO2 pistols would require a pellet trap while using indoors or outdoors where as with a BB pistol (using non metallic BB's)a cardboard box backed with a piece of ply is sufficient.

The pistol I have doesn't require CO2 cartridges instead uses green gas which comes in cans and I carried a couple with me without any problems.

As far as the pistol looking realistic is concerned I don't think it can look any more realistic including the blow back action. Will try to upload some pics later.

@kalashnikovcult- I don't know the leaglity of it, but carried a pack without problems.

sniper22

airguns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by airguns » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:50 pm

kalashnikovcult wrote:is it fine to get an airsoft pistol with metal BBs ?
With metal BB's it would be still considered an airgun/or even an airsoft. Ok to import in checked baggage.
Sniper22:
The pistol I have doesn't require CO2 cartridges instead uses green gas which comes in cans and I carried a couple with me without any problems.
Sniper22, I checked with the airline on my last visit, regarding green gas, it is considered as compressed gas and therefore banned in checked baggege.

Best bet for somebody looking for realism in airsoft is AEG guns. Very realistic, use RC car battery(Ni-Cad or NIMH) as power source, though they cost around $150-300 for very high quality Assault rifle replicas (Full metal). Amazing firepower (Full auto) and range.

Eye protection is a must with Airsoft, even the lowest powered one's can damage an eye if hit.

GoldenEagle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by GoldenEagle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:33 pm

I have ordered a G&G extreme 45 Full metal blow back pistol. Shoots at 450 fps.

I think this is the most powerful and accurate gas pistol in its league I have ever come across!

Any suggestions for a very accurate and powerful air soft pistol?
Cheers,
GoldenEagle

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:07 pm

airguns wrote:
With metal BB's it would be still considered an airgun/or even an airsoft. Ok to import in checked baggage.

so does that mean i need a club membership ?
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

airguns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by airguns » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:54 am

kalashnikovcult wrote:
airguns wrote:

so does that mean i need a club membership ?
I assume you are importing an airsoft, yet, are getting the Aluminum 6mm shot (for improved accuracy) instead of the regular plastic ones. Declare it as replica/airsoft gun hopefully they will let it be as such. Worst case scenario they will treat it as an airgun, in that case duty is I think about a third of the guns value. No need for club membership under any scenario, if importing as checked baggage. No need to declare the BB's as it is not needed.

Make sure to follow the airline packing guidelines carefully and not carry any Gas or Co2.

I have carried airsoft/airguns several times in checked baggage on diferent trips and this is my experience so far.

Clear plastic Airsoft Pistol (Springer), accepted as toy gun no problem (This was the only gun on that trip).
AEG type full metal airsoft Rifle, was detained, had to spend the better part of a day, later on, ultimately getting it released as a Replica (This was the only gun on that trip).
.177 Co2 Pistol (Walther CP88 6inch barrel) and Diana 34 .22, paid duty of around a third of the value INR 5000 for the two (Had the two of them together on this trip). Several tins of pellets though were not counted and released duty free.

I am not a member of any club in India currently.