NEVER FIGHT A SPRING PISTON AIR RIFLE!!!

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: NEVER FIGHT A SPRING PISTON AIR RIFLE!!!

Post by supershaji » Fri May 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Fantastic little tutorial, must apply over this weekend.

thank you Janaab
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

For Advertising mail webmaster
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Dear Brihji,
Just came across this gem of BRASS. :-) Though I have been applying these principles consciously-sub-consciously (50-50), will now place in greater awareness on the BRASS sequence (try to push it towards 100). I am sure it will make shooting the springer AR more pleasurable and rewarding. Thank you very much for this contribution.
regs
A.

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 pm

welcome to AR shooting AGN

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:09 am

brihacharan wrote:
xl_target wrote:
NEVER rest your air rifle fore end directly on sandbags or a support as your groups will suffer.
Just curious Briha, what is the difference if you rest the forearm directly on a sandbag versus having your rifle supported by your hand which is rested on a sandbag?
> Hi xl_target,

> The difference is in the "anchoring" ie: resting the fore-end of the AR stock supported by your hand is suceptible to imperceptible / shifting of the line of sight. Even if it's a few millimeters the pellet will go astray - resulting in bad grouping.
> By resting the fore-arm (wherein your palm contributes to the artillery hold) you unconsciously tend to maintain the barrel in the line of sight & this makes a big difference.
> In case you are using a bi-pod - the fore-end is already anchored to the bi-pod resulting in hardly any shift of the barrel from the line of sight.
> It may sound a bit confusing though - but the fact is 'it works' - my personal experience is when I rested the forearm on the sand bag I could get consistently 3/8" groups at 30yds, but when I rested the fore-end of the AR supported by my hand on the sand bag the group opened to 1 1/4"!
Briha
That is not what you originally said. That is why I questioned your statement.
You clearly stated "Never rest the forearm directly on a sandbag".

So which is correct? Rest the forearm of the rifle directly on the sand bag or not?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:29 am

Just curious Briha, what is the difference if you rest the forearm directly on a sandbag versus having your rifle supported by your hand which is rested on a sandbag?[/quote]

> Hi xl_target,

> The difference is in the "anchoring" ie: resting the fore-end of the AR stock supported by your hand is suceptible to imperceptible / shifting of the line of sight. Even if it's a few millimeters the pellet will go astray - resulting in bad grouping.
> By resting the fore-arm (wherein your palm contributes to the artillery hold) you unconsciously tend to maintain the barrel in the line of sight & this makes a big difference.
> In case you are using a bi-pod - the fore-end is already anchored to the bi-pod resulting in hardly any shift of the barrel from the line of sight.
> It may sound a bit confusing though - but the fact is 'it works' - my personal experience is when I rested the forearm on the sand bag I could get consistently 3/8" groups at 30yds, but when I rested the fore-end of the AR supported by my hand on the sand bag the group opened to 1 1/4"!
Briha[/quote]

That is not what you originally said. That is why I questioned your statement.
You clearly stated "Never rest the forearm directly on a sandbag".

So which is correct? Rest the forearm of the rifle directly on the sand bag or not?[/quote]

Hi XL...I not rest the fore-end stock directly on the sandbag if I want a surer result. The artillery hold works for me even when I am shooting from a resting position. I rest the AR fore-end on the palm of my hand and the hand can be supported by the sandbag. Gently support the butt on the upper chest, weld cheek to the comb. Only the trigger finger moves. And allow the AR to recoil. The palm of the hand gives me the tactile feedback on the Air Rifle. If I rest it directly on the sandbag, I dont get this feedback.This feedback helps in maintaining the barrel in the line of sight and gives the AR a much more supple support for it to recoil. Actually, I dont like to support the AR on sandbags at all. Really enjoy shooting my HW30S at the 10 meter range standing. And the artillery hold works.
There is no downside to Freedom!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 am

HI Slingshot,
For the record, I wasn't trying to climb all over Briha. I was just trying to get some of the terminology straightened out.
As you know we have many new shooters who look on this site for information. I just wanted to clarify the issue.
Thank you for the explanation of your shooting style. Almost everyone does it differently. If it works for you, that's great.
It may sound a bit confusing though - but the fact is 'it works' - my personal experience is when I rested the forearm on the sand bag I could get consistently 3/8" groups at 30yds, but when I rested the fore-end of the AR supported by my hand on the sand bag the group opened to 1 1/4"!
Briha
As Briha explained in his later post, he gets better groups with the fore-stock of the gun rested directly on the sandbag. I do too. Especially over longer distances.

There just seemed to be some confusion for the reader when mentioning forearm ( the shooter's forearm?) or the rifle fore-end.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Briha Sir you are an encyclopedia where guns are concerned have read a lot of your posts and they are really very good keep up the good work we really learn a lot from you
Thanks and regards
Nevil

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 pm

brihacharan wrote:
xl_target wrote:
NEVER rest your air rifle fore end directly on sandbags or a support as your groups will suffer.
Just curious Briha, what is the difference if you rest the forearm directly on a sandbag versus having your rifle supported by your hand which is rested on a sandbag?
> Hi xl_target,

Briha
I think what brihji's saying here is that when he places the fore-end on the bags directly and "supports" minimally with non-shooting arm, i.e. closer to the trigger guard or positions the fingers between the resting point (on the bags) and the trigger guard, then the group opens up. However, as he places his non-shooting arm (palm up) and rests the hairy side down on the bag, he continues to get the feedback especially about the feel and the line of sight and results in tighter group. This is consistent with slingshot's observation as well. Am I reading right, brihji ? regs, A.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:34 am

Brihaji, now you need to get your grandkids to snap a pic of you shooting and put it up, so that we are clear on WHAT exactly is resting on the pillow!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:53 am

airgun_novice wrote:
I think what brihji's saying here is that when he places the fore-end on the bags directly and "supports" minimally with non-shooting arm, i.e. closer to the trigger guard or positions the fingers between the resting point (on the bags) and the trigger guard, then the group opens up. However, as he places his non-shooting arm (palm up) and rests the hairy side down on the bag, he continues to get the feedback especially about the feel and the line of sight and results in tighter group. This is consistent with slingshot's observation as well. Am I reading right, brihji ? regs, A

AGN - You got it "Right" :D
Slingshot - You were right too - :D
I regret that there was some miscommunication in my post - my apologies are in order....
Essdee - Hope this clarifies your query...
Cheers
Briha

abii
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by abii » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:30 pm

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:24 am

You can find the complete article here.

http://uksurvive.wordpress.com/tag/shooting/

/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

ARAE
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ARAE » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:52 am

:agree: thanks for the valuable information
:cheers: :cheers:
brihacharan wrote:NEVER FIGHT A SPRING PISTON AIR RIFLE…
It will win every time!!!

For accurate shooting you have to HOLD IT SOFTLY. You must let the rifle recoil in its own way.
To restrict it will cause you to miss.

Let the rifle rest ON your supporting hand. OPEN PALM. Don’t grasp the stock with your fingers. You can cup your fingers round the fore stock BUT DON’T GRIP!

Don’t EVER change the position of your hand along the fore stock. This position affects how the rifle recoils.

• Slings should only be used for carrying, never for support.
• You can lay your wrist or forearm on a rest if you like.
• Just try to rest your forearm / wrist on the SAME PLACE EVERY TIME.

Only TOUCH your shoulder lightly with the rifle’s butt pad and don’t try to pull it back hard into your shoulder. It’s OK to ‘snuggle in’ but don’t smother it.

• Rest your cheek LIGHTLY on the comb of the stock.
• Don’t mash your face onto the stock.
• Put your cheek on the SAME place on the comb EVERY TIME!

All the above is designed to let the rifle recoil as naturally as possible. Failure to do so will result in poor shooting.

TRIGGER CONTROL.

Curl your fingers round the “Pistol Grip” of the stock using the lightest grip you can. The trigger finger is all you want to move. Everything else is purely to help control the jittery effect your body imparts on the weapon.

Control is everything because you have to keep the weapon in line with the target fighting it’s weight and your body tremor which is present in all humans.

Here’s a simple acronym that’s well worth remembering - B R A S S

1.BREATHE
2.RELAX
3.AIM
4.STOP
5.SQUEEZE

BREATHING
Stop breathing for during the natural pause between inhalation and exhalation. The natural pause between breaths is typically 2-3 seconds. You should not extend that past 8 seconds. This is when you fire, that is when the diaphragm and breathing muscles are relaxed. After 8 seconds, stop the release, relax, and try again.

RELAX
Your position should be relaxed and the weapon NATURALLY aligned with the target i.e. you do not need to push the sights to align with the target. This applies to any weapon but especially a spring-piston rifle as to push or pull one will definitely affect the way it recoils.

AIMING
Make sure you are aiming correctly i.e. the correct sight pattern for the targets range, and elevation.

STOP
You are in the 8 second window. If all is in order i.e. Breathing, Relaxation, and Aiming you can proceed to release the shot.

SQUEEZE
Start applying gentle pressure on the trigger – Slowly – Continuously - Positively

There are two ways of squeezing the trigger and releasing the shot.

Uninterrupted Trigger Control
Smooth is the term that should come to your mind.
Take up the first pressure on the trigger and when the sights are in line and are steady on the target. Increase the pressure to the trigger at a gentle rate until the weapon fires.
No stopping, pauses, snatching, a constant & continuous squeeze.

Interrupted Trigger Control
In short you release when the target comes onto the sights. Then, when it does, you squeeze the trigger until the shot breaks. In other words when the rifle starts to sway towards the target, second trigger pressure is applied and you release the shot as the sights align.

My personal advice is, always shoot from a supported position. Lying down is best, sitting second, kneeling takes a lot of practice, and standing is my last option!

Follow Through
Always stay in the aim when and after the shot has been released. This will prevent you relaxing your grip as you release thus the weapon will remain still and on target. Too many air gunners immediately relax on releasing the shot. The brain senses the rifle go off, immediately the tensed up body tries to relax from the control you have been applying over the last 8 seconds.
Result? You are Off Target – Poor Shot – Bad Grouping

The follow through is something you have to train yourself to do. Once you develop this habit you can see the vast improvement in your shooting!

Briha
ARAE

pradeep2374
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pradeep2374 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:22 pm

brihacharan wrote:NEVER FIGHT A SPRING PISTON AIR RIFLE…
It will win every time!!!

For accurate shooting you have to HOLD IT SOFTLY. You must let the rifle recoil in its own way.
To restrict it will cause you to miss.

Let the rifle rest ON your supporting hand. OPEN PALM. Don’t grasp the stock with your fingers. You can cup your fingers round the fore stock BUT DON’T GRIP!

Don’t EVER change the position of your hand along the fore stock. This position affects how the rifle recoils.

• Slings should only be used for carrying, never for support.
• You can lay your wrist or forearm on a rest if you like.
• Just try to rest your forearm / wrist on the SAME PLACE EVERY TIME.

Only TOUCH your shoulder lightly with the rifle’s butt pad and don’t try to pull it back hard into your shoulder. It’s OK to ‘snuggle in’ but don’t smother it.

• Rest your cheek LIGHTLY on the comb of the stock.
• Don’t mash your face onto the stock.
• Put your cheek on the SAME place on the comb EVERY TIME!

All the above is designed to let the rifle recoil as naturally as possible. Failure to do so will result in poor shooting.

TRIGGER CONTROL.

Curl your fingers round the “Pistol Grip” of the stock using the lightest grip you can. The trigger finger is all you want to move. Everything else is purely to help control the jittery effect your body imparts on the weapon.

Control is everything because you have to keep the weapon in line with the target fighting it’s weight and your body tremor which is present in all humans.

Here’s a simple acronym that’s well worth remembering - B R A S S

1.BREATHE
2.RELAX
3.AIM
4.STOP
5.SQUEEZE

BREATHING
Stop breathing for during the natural pause between inhalation and exhalation. The natural pause between breaths is typically 2-3 seconds. You should not extend that past 8 seconds. This is when you fire, that is when the diaphragm and breathing muscles are relaxed. After 8 seconds, stop the release, relax, and try again.

RELAX
Your position should be relaxed and the weapon NATURALLY aligned with the target i.e. you do not need to push the sights to align with the target. This applies to any weapon but especially a spring-piston rifle as to push or pull one will definitely affect the way it recoils.

AIMING
Make sure you are aiming correctly i.e. the correct sight pattern for the targets range, and elevation.

STOP
You are in the 8 second window. If all is in order i.e. Breathing, Relaxation, and Aiming you can proceed to release the shot.

SQUEEZE
Start applying gentle pressure on the trigger – Slowly – Continuously - Positively

There are two ways of squeezing the trigger and releasing the shot.

Uninterrupted Trigger Control
Smooth is the term that should come to your mind.
Take up the first pressure on the trigger and when the sights are in line and are steady on the target. Increase the pressure to the trigger at a gentle rate until the weapon fires.
No stopping, pauses, snatching, a constant & continuous squeeze.

Interrupted Trigger Control
In short you release when the target comes onto the sights. Then, when it does, you squeeze the trigger until the shot breaks. In other words when the rifle starts to sway towards the target, second trigger pressure is applied and you release the shot as the sights align.

My personal advice is, always shoot from a supported position. Lying down is best, sitting second, kneeling takes a lot of practice, and standing is my last option!

Follow Through
Always stay in the aim when and after the shot has been released. This will prevent you relaxing your grip as you release thus the weapon will remain still and on target. Too many air gunners immediately relax on releasing the shot. The brain senses the rifle go off, immediately the tensed up body tries to relax from the control you have been applying over the last 8 seconds.
Result? You are Off Target – Poor Shot – Bad Grouping

The follow through is something you have to train yourself to do. Once you develop this habit you can see the vast improvement in your shooting!

Briha
Nice Acronym, BRASS, easy to remember, Thank you, best regards, Pradeep

kesh1982
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by kesh1982 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:02 am

Brilliant post Brihaji. Thanks for sharing. When I restarted my shooting I went through multiple sniper training videos on you tube and the biggest challenge I faced was the trigger pull. The point you make about follow through is absolutely critical in making the right shot.

I prefer to think of it as drawing a straight line. Keep squeezing the trigger in slow motion till the shot goes off and then continue the pull even after the gun is fired to minimize any movement in the barrel as the pellet leaves it.

For people new to shooting I would suggest squeezing the trigger so slowly that the actual shot comes as a surprise. I have found this to be highly effective in enabling trigger control. Also very effective for guns which have a clear 2 stage trigger.