PCP VS CO2 Air guns

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

PCP VS CO2 Air guns

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:12 pm

I want the some clarification from the airgunning guru's regarding both the type of Airguns.
My understanding is as follows

1. PCP guns are prefered over the CO2 guns in competitions.
2. The pneumatic pressure is quite high in PCP's so how does one fill pressure as normal compressors do not operate at such high pressures. Does it mean that one has to buy a pump as well, along with the gun to get such high pressures?
3. Does one carry a reservoir to fill air when going out for a shoot??
4. Isn't it more convenient to use a CO2 gun instead. One needs to carry a few CO2 capsules only when out shooting or is there a down side to CO2 guns??

Atul

For Advertising mail webmaster
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: PCP VS CO2 Air guns

Post by StampMaster » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Atul Ji,

2. Yes they come in tank. Usually you can buy a tank or get PCP refilled at the gun store. I think buying a tank would be best option. We'll find accessories list while looking for the PCP guns. Dominator 1250 is one of the popular model. May be you can find in some store near you.

3. Yes, a full tank charges around 50-60 rounds (if I am not wrong). Depending on the pressure you set.

4. The downside with CO2 is there isn't enough pressure in this type of equipment.
CO2 is more volatile to temperature compared to normal air. And CO2 pressure is one third of air.

Cheers
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:22 pm

I would ask you to go through the attached files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:31 am

It is a good write up. But if I am not missing something, the down side of the CO2 gun is only that you need to pace yourself (15 secs between shots). Otherwise the CO2 guns seem to be more convenient and better in performance. It seems to give more and consistent shots.

Atul

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:45 am

CO2 guns usually tend to operate best between 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Too cold,and they start to lose velocity. Too hot,and the valves tend to lock up. They are very temperature fussy. And since change in temperature leads to change in pressure inside the gun,it also results in the change in muzzle velocity,which in turn leads to change in POI. This is one of the reasons why most match guns were replaced with HPA.