SDB Sport- A perfect AR for all purpose

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

SDB Sport- A perfect AR for all purpose

Post by Basu » Sun May 08, 2016 7:59 pm

At 55+ , it is not always easy to handle/carry an air rifle of 3.5-3.6 kgs without scope.
I was in the lookout for an AR , which will give me tireless shooting pleasure.
SDB Sport fitted well into my affordablity and requirements.
Description :

Caliber- 5.4 mm
Barrel : rifled/highly polished
Weight : 3004 grms
Scope groove : 12 mm , built in
Scope Stop : 3 shallow
Trigger : Direct sear/adjustable
Sight : Front globe/rear adjustable windage/elevation
Piston seal - synthetic
Breech seal - Synthetic

I tested power of this AR after tuning with pipe chrony and following results were recorded :

Unitedshot Power Ranger 12.6 grns - 560-580 fps
Mastershot 14.5 grns - 552-580 fps
NE Round Head 10.6 gn - 700-720 fps
Unitedshot Pointed head 13.5 gn- 560-580 fps

Accuracy - After 1000 shots it settled quite well and hitting target more often than not.It is not as temperamental as my Nation 25.
It's trigger is very nice , which surely helps to keep the pellet right on target.

As usual this gun has very nice balance and sets in very easily.
Since the time Sport came , my other darlings are not getting earlier attention which I must confess.

I am trying to attach some photos for you viewing.

This is a true value for money.

Basu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those wander , are lost...............

For Advertising mail webmaster
GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: SDB Sport- A perfect AR for all purpose

Post by GNV » Sun May 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Nice and real value for money.

GNV

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sun May 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Nice Basu ji,
Long time! That's nice. I really like the stock.
Have you opened her up?

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

anubhav_rulez
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anubhav_rulez » Sun May 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Beautiful AR Da, stock has been wonderfully taken care off.
Anubhav Bajpai
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's always better to have a gun & don't need it...Than need a gun & not having it !!!

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 pm

Some features of Sports
1.Generates power with ease,no vibe at around 12 fpe
2.very less Cocking Effort..measured at around 6 kg
3. Neoprane Breech Seal
4.Trigger Can be adjusted Upto 200 Grams and There is pre pull present before Sear Disengagement,
5.Scope Rail is perfect for Single Piece Mount with Back lock pin.
6.2.9 mm Spring provides very quick lock-time with a light piston.
7.Quick lock-time enhances its capability of shot to shot consistency...

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 pm

This SDB guys seem to be serious now. It's really wonderfull to know that lack of access to the latest equipements haven't boghed them down. Is this the "crouch before the leap"??? I hope so.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

anoop
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anoop » Sun May 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Great AR dear Basu, wish you shoot plenty with this AR and enjoy it to its limit. SDB is certainly improving its products every day.Even i have so far shot 2700 pellets from my Apache and its going strong. I find united shot power ranger and Dyna shot flat heads pellets good for Apache.Regards. Anoop

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Mon May 09, 2016 3:32 am

Hi to all airgun enthusiasts here,especially basu sir.I noticed that SDB brings new models to the market more often than precihole or ihp.This type of experimentation and innovation is very much needed for improvement.I also came to know that SDB was in testing stage of a new model airrifle.The improvement may be anything, but nothing lessthan exciting.because this model would be an upgraded version of apache,sport,2000. Only one thing which was strange was the rusting problem of their rifles.I am saying this because rusted spots can appear in few days if you un-attend it. A good quality steel can easily rule-out this problem.because a rifle will be coming with us along our whole life journey.

Added in 4 minutes 10 seconds:
I also share a book on air rifle tuning,which i found very useful with picture representation.These kinds of books was very rare and if available in hardcopy which we cant afford.

http://www.airgunone.com/downloads/AirgunTuning.pdf
With regards,
vsraja

sandeep 1995
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sandeep 1995 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:36 am

Namaste,
Am a new member from kerala
I am a beginner in the air rifle world
Now I want to buy a air rifle having most powerful,most accurate,best performance and better quality
Pls help me to choose the right one.....
Pls suggest the best one

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 pm

My purchase was deeply influenced by Abhi11 and Harshvardhan.
Incidentally both of them had received Sport with leather washers.
I was told that it was a simple one holer.
With leather washer , it had less velocity and awesome accuracy.
Harsha happened to send me some pics.of groupings and those made me drooling.
I opened my Sport and tuned it , I found that SDB introduced piston with built in synthetic seal adapter.(This is something new fr.SDB)
Internals were not very clean ,had some rusts .
I have some data recorded by SimpChrony , which I put before you :

After 1st 100 shots -694 fps
After 200 shots- 719 fps
After 400 shots - 745 fps
After 700 shots- 720 fps
I used 10.6 gn light pellets to record all above velocities.(They all are max velocity in different days )
But almost 50 fps increase not noticed in case of all other heavier pellets.
So, to my mind , it goes to prove that Sport likes light pellets , when it comes to velocity.
In the absence of one piece mount , the scope slided back so I had to remove it.
I am a most frequent user of this AR now, due to its low weight , solid punch and nice accuracy.

Basu

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: SDB Sport-A perfect AR for all purpose

Post by ganeshn » Mon May 09, 2016 2:06 pm

Basuda can you throw some light on the new barrel and if they are using different machine.
the breach could have been better machined for air sealing if not for a beauty contest, a cheap O-ring would be easier than inserting a hand cut tube apart from good sealing.
The breach in my SDB 65 is a lexus compared to the your SBD sports & luckily my SDB 65 is refusing to rust!!!

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon May 09, 2016 4:20 pm

Dear ganeshn,
I have SDB45 side by side Sport.
Rifling for 45 is deeper , where as Sport's rifling is a shade shallow.
In order to ascertain the pellet spin , a soap test is done at 16 mts.
The hole found to be absolutely clean.
Sport's barrel has a shine , which means , some extra work is being done , may be honing or reaming or polishing.
Regarding the breech seal , now I have put the seal upside down and now the interface is perfectly machine finished.
Deeper champharing at breech, is done by me with a 4" flat file otherwise pellet's tail was visible before closing.

Basu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soumen
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by soumen » Mon May 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi Friends....
Last Sunday Basu da came to my house with her new Darling. She bold beautiful and quite intelligence also, but I like her balance very much, even I have an Apache..
After some practice we decided to open her, and did some necessary tuning. After tuning she became a Silent Shooter.......in a word she is Awesome..........

Soumen

Edited: We are not "gangstas" here, please use appropriate language - Thanks, Moderator

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Mon May 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi
Well i had the pleasure of working on Harshavardhan’s sports as he trusted me for my patience & polishing skills. The rifle was handed over to me disassembled & i started working on fine polishing the trigger sear, piston sear, piston latch rod, rear guide,spring. First i start with my honing attachment, then i use 220 grit paper, after that i use 2500 grit wet & dry & finally some metal polish to give mirror finish.
It took me around couple of days to nicely polish the internals & after that we assembled the sports with eagerness to see fruits of labour. It was spitting pellets with lot of anger as we can expect because of dieseling & we decided to give it time for bedding. After few days i visited Harsha’s place to have a look at sports & found that after changing breech seal & firing couple of hundred pellets it was a hush hush gun. The piston & breech seal might have settled down & the spring bit tamed. I never saw any Indian gun so quiet & gentle to shooter (my IHP 35 has her fair bit of kicking). The trigger was very smooth, though its single stage i found that SDB cleverly made a play in their trigger which one can experience even when dismantled. So in a way though minute but it gives you a feel of 2 stages.
What SDB can do to improve it is make that play more & for longer period of time which will give more definite feel of first stage. Though I am not expert in tuning but i thought of sharing my experience.
Regards Moulindu

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri May 20, 2016 8:21 am

Yesterday I received one box of Dianashot flat head .22 pellet , very gracefully sent by IFgian Anoop.
I presume it to be around 12.8 gns.
This pellet sits little tight at breech but accuracy found to be phenomenal as at 11 yds all dropped in the same hole.
Another feature is ,I did not have to readjust sight alignment , which was done with Unitedshot power Ranger.
I had rested the gun on my left hand, who held support on door.
Thanks Anoop.

Basu
Last edited by Basu on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.