Used Lead Pellet's

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Used Lead Pellet's

Post by Gunner_dh » Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 am

Hi All,

There have been lot of controversies pan globe regarding the ill effects of lead poisoning. Time and again pellets or bullet leads have have found a way into those controversies irrespective of their contribution percentage.

I have also read few threads in this forum where enthusiasts have put it forward stating they have collected the pellets post having a session in the open.

But the question remains unanswered "How to dispose / recycle these?"
As I mostly shoot indoors I had an opportunity for collecting these which I have been doing irrespective of the pellet condition for past 2 years and have been using them as an aid for my hobby.

But before I share my little secret with you guys I would prefer we all do a bit of brainstorming so that more lucrative ideas can be plucked.

Lets start... [emoji41]

Regards
dh

For Advertising mail webmaster
nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Used Lead Pellet's

Post by nitroex700 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 am

You can collect and sell it to local kabadi walas (scrap dealers). They will in turn sell it to guys purchasing scrap lead from them.

Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Gunner_dh » Mon May 28, 2018 12:26 am

That was even one of my prime motives for collecting them in the beginning but you would be astonished to see how much time(pellet box) it would require to accumulate even 1 kg. Hence soon opted out of this option.

Regards
dh

Bullo oka
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Bullo oka » Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 am

I'm collecting it & looking/waiting for some ideas to not waste those in dust or junks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
You own Gun
That doesn't mean you have to use it.
Maybe :stupid: Think Bright.

Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Gunner_dh » Mon May 28, 2018 12:46 am

Welcome to the team mate you are 1 step close discovering a much needed aid and saving yourself from unweary eyes of Nature activist's.

What is the quantity and how long have you been saving?

Regards
dh

Bullo oka
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Bullo oka » Mon May 28, 2018 12:55 am

Gunner_dh wrote:Welcome to the team mate you are 1 step close discovering a much needed aid and saving yourself from unweary eyes of Nature activist's.

What is the quantity and how long have you been saving?

Regards
dh
It was just around a month, bought my air rifle last month.
Collected around half tin from the indoor shoots. Most of them are in open field with Buddy's so can't look for those[emoji4].

You own Gun

mayankbanerjee1
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mayankbanerjee1 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:40 am

There are few uses one can think of.

1) recast the melted lead using a dye for pellet or slug.

2) make a leather bag for shooting rest and fill it with the used pellet.

Hope this helps

Mayank

Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Gunner_dh » Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 am

Hi Mayank,

Your 1st pointer is something which we all want to do however would be time consuming and might impact the accuracy. Never the less this is also a part of agenda. I have thought of making slugs for the smooth bore but need to check the making process.

Your second pointer is a new thought and can be put into test. However to fill the bag a lot of lead will be required. [emoji4]

Regards
dh

Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Gunner_dh » Mon May 28, 2018 8:45 am

Here are some pics of the collected lead for past six to seven months. This will give an rough idea how tedious this scavenging of lead pellets can be.
The shot pellets tend to concentrate in mass hence a box of pellets will provide approx 1/3 of the initial mass. Never the less out of which again 1/3 is lost during the process of collection/transition/cleaning etc.

Regards
dh[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201805 ... 8bda6f.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201805 ... 14db0b.jpg[/img]

Bullo oka
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Bullo oka » Mon May 28, 2018 10:14 am

Gunner_dh wrote:Here are some pics of the collected lead for past six to seven months. This will give an rough idea how tedious this scavenging of lead pellets can be.
The shot pellets tend to concentrate in mass hence a box of pellets will provide approx 1/3 of the initial mass. Never the less out of which again 1/3 is lost during the process of collection/transition/cleaning etc.

Regards
dh[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201805 ... 8bda6f.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201805 ... 14db0b.jpg[/img]
[emoji15]...Wow...
Thats lot.

You own Gun

vast
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vast » Mon May 28, 2018 1:15 pm

I used to collect & melted it for reloading shotgun slugs

Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Gunner_dh » Mon May 28, 2018 4:09 pm

That's great did you make them into bird shots? If yes, was the process you employed & how did you control the dia size?

Regards
dh

mayankbanerjee1
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mayankbanerjee1 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:50 am

Gunner_dh wrote:Hi Mayank,

Your 1st pointer is something which we all want to do however would be time consuming and might impact the accuracy. Never the less this is also a part of agenda. I have thought of making slugs for the smooth bore but need to check the making process.

Your second pointer is a new thought and can be put into test. However to fill the bag a lot of lead will be required. [emoji4]

Regards
dh
Hi Gunner_dh,

My brother bought a .22 springer 3 years back which was very incompetent to shoot even a balloon at 15 ft properly. We wondered it must had been made by a housewife at her leisure time in Munger or Malda. Anyways, it rotted for 2 years in the garage but suddenly we went through Mr. GNV's post and a video in the youtube about springer maintenance. So we worked on the dead body (i mean the rusty airgun) for a postmortem. what we found was amazing, the spring was canted and the barrell was not .22 but .235 with very poor rifeling. all pellets were loose fitting. so we collected the used pellets and casted something larger than .24. we also scrubbed the bore to smooth the barrell and tried to make it somewhat closer to smooth bore.

recasting of old pellets helped to fit tighter and is working really good. I will try to put some picks of the gun & cast pellets during my vacation to India.

Regards,

Mayank

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Use them to cast fishing weights.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Gunner_dh » Thu May 31, 2018 8:31 pm

Thank you all for participating and sharing all the new ideas for recycling the lead pellets.
Now let me tell you what I use these pellets.
To begin with 2 years back I started collecting these for 2 reasons 1st Keep the house clean, 2nd use the resale value for purchase of new pellets (even 1 against 6 was worth a try).
However my prospect changed due to my innovative target holder. I was using a cheap square metal junction box used for electric wiring along with Percihole target paper. However after approx 1000 shots there would be big hole in the metal sheet hence would require replament.
What I did was I filled the 1/3 of the metal box with the lead pellets and heated it on gas oven which melted the lead provided a uniform base & backstop.
I have used this for more than 2k shots and it is still holding.

Hope you all will enjoy the making of the target holder.

Regards
dh