Is it worth buying an rangefinder ?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
md12
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Is it worth buying an rangefinder ?

Post by md12 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:55 pm

Hello i am new to ifg and i have just recently got into the sport of airgun. i have bought precihole's px100 and a bushnell scope from kovibazaar and im looking to get into long range shooting. i wanted to ask is it worth to buy an rangefinder for long range airgun shooting ? if anyone could answer it would greatly help me. thank you

For Advertising mail webmaster
sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Is it worth buying an rangefinder ?

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi,

First thing, Rangefinders are not cheap in India.

Second thing, you can get a riflescope that has range-finding reticle built into it. For example please check the pic of a common Reticle design. This reticle is common for airgun scopes.

Regards

Vikramaditya Singh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

md12
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by md12 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:41 pm

sumbriavikramaditya wrote:Hi,

First thing, Rangefinders are not cheap in India.

Second thing, you can get a riflescope that has range-finding reticle built into it. For example please check the pic of a common Reticle design. This reticle is common for airgun scopes.

Regards

Vikramaditya Singh
Hello kind sir how much can these kind of range-finding reticle scopes cost ?i already bought an 3x9x40 bushnell scope from kovibazaar and if i buy another scope this current scope will go to waste i only have 1 airgun that has scope rails built into it. and there is also an rangefinder on kovibazaar thats 7k. should i buy that?

md12

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:58 pm

with a precihole, for airgun range there would be no need for a rangefinder
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:13 pm

md12 wrote:
Hello kind sir how much can these kind of range-finding reticle scopes cost ?i already bought an 3x9x40 bushnell scope from kovibazaar and if i buy another scope this current scope will go to waste i only have 1 airgun that has scope rails built into it. and there is also an rangefinder on kovibazaar thats 7k. should i buy that?

md12
Please tell me what kind of reticle your Bushnell Scope has? Almost every reticle has some kind of range-finding feature in it. All you need to know is the approximate size of your target and great deal of practice. So please tell me what reticle you have, then I might be able to guide you. I checked the rangefinder on Kovibazaar, its a Discovery product.

The airguns might have much shorter effective range that firearms but still you need to know the range to get a perfect hit.

I have two scope which have Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) reticle in them. This reticle is easy to use for rangefinding. BDC reticle looks as shown in the pic below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

md12
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by md12 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:06 pm

sumbriavikramaditya wrote:
md12 wrote:

md12
Please tell me what kind of reticle your Bushnell Scope has? Almost every reticle has some kind of range-finding feature in it. All you need to know is the approximate size of your target and great deal of practice. So please tell me what reticle you have, then I might be able to guide you. I checked the rangefinder on Kovibazaar, its a Discovery product.

The airguns might have much shorter effective range that firearms but still you need to know the range to get a perfect hit.

I have two scope which have Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) reticle in them. This reticle is easy to use for rangefinding. BDC reticle looks as shown in the pic below.
hello kind sir im curious as to whats a discovery product ? and also this is my reticle of bushnell scope and thank you for helping me i appreciate it.
IMG_20190629_195523.jpg
IMG_20190629_194652.jpg

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi md12,

'Discovery' is the name of a Chinese Company which manufactures Riflescopes, Rangefinders, Binoculars and other Optical devices.

Your Bushnell scope has a Mil-Dot reticle which is very commonly used for rangefinding. With practice your can learn how to quickly range your targets with this reticle. Please search YouTube for 'How to use Mil Dot for Ranging'.

Here are few videos which will help you understand:
- Mil Dot Ranging is explained in this video.
- In this video it is explained in a simple and faster procedure.

Regards

Vikramaditya

md12
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by md12 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:21 pm

sumbriavikramaditya wrote:Hi md12,

'Discovery' is the name of a Chinese Company which manufactures Riflescopes, Rangefinders, Binoculars and other Optical devices.

Your Bushnell scope has a Mil-Dot reticle which is very commonly used for rangefinding. With practice your can learn how to quickly range your targets with this reticle. Please search YouTube for 'How to use Mil Dot for Ranging'.

Here are few videos which will help you understand:
- Mil Dot Ranging is explained in this video.
- In this video it is explained in a simple and faster procedure.

Regards

Vikramaditya
Thank you sir for helping me. i will watch these videos and practice, and also thanks for the fast reply. :)

royalty
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by royalty » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:01 pm

A range finder is a good accessory to have if you manage to get it cheap.
I use mine primarily while playing golf but have used it a lot since i have bought my NX100
Its fun hitting long range targets when used with the chairgun app.
Range finding using the mil dot rectile requires you to know the height of the target some simple math whereas a rangefinder will give you the distance on the fly.
I got this from the UK for around INR 5500

md12
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by md12 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:07 am

royalty wrote:A range finder is a good accessory to have if you manage to get it cheap.
I use mine primarily while playing golf but have used it a lot since i have bought my NX100
Its fun hitting long range targets when used with the chairgun app.
Range finding using the mil dot rectile requires you to know the height of the target some simple math whereas a rangefinder will give you the distance on the fly.
I got this from the UK for around INR 5500
Thanks for the answer. yeah its very fun hitting long range targets. and i am using the chairgun app on pc and mobile. and also i have been practicing range finding with the mil dot. but i will buy an rangefinder in the future. thanks

himanshu maru
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by himanshu maru » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:29 am

Hi I am Himanshu and into long distance shooting. I use hw100 in .177 for it. Please call on 9983314969. Have hawke sidewinder scope on my gun and use hawke LRF 400 rangefinder . I can help answering your question.

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk