Importing airguns into India

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
boomboom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Importing airguns into India

Post by boomboom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Thursday 12th January.

I was at customs detention/arrivals this afternoon trying to free my .177 air rifle which I bought in on 8-10-2011. Also had a copy of the Supreme Court stay. They still wont let go because the Police department are playing 'hard to get' and wont issue a NOC. So its become an ego problem and stale mate between both departments. We suffer !

Advice - dont Import till the issue clears. Its just waiting for the first government officer to use his discretion/initiave and act on the Supreme Court stay - then the flood gates will open.

Keep everyone informed but dont do anything stupid that will jeopardise all of us :(

For Advertising mail webmaster
tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:33 am

You don't need a police NOC.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:45 am

tiwariarrun wrote:You don't need a police NOC.
you know it we know it, please tell that to the customs people. it is they who demand such things
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:32 am

There is no rule that says you do, nor one that says, you don't. It is at the whims and fancies of the Customs officials. I had get an NOC for a ISSF match rifle because the customs officials refused to clear the FWB without Police NOC".

Be there, do it and then say "Been There, Done That".

M.
tiwariarrun wrote:You don't need a police NOC.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:01 am

[quote="fantumfan2003"]
Be there, do it and then say "Been There, Done That".
quote]

That's nicely put ! I like the play of words, FF !! :P

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Been there, done that! :)

When I imported my rifle, they asked for the same thing - Police NOC. I said, as per the rule book, its not required- but I did attached Mumbai Commissioner's notification copy which states that air rifles/pistols, cal .177 doesnt require firearms lic. I got it attested though.

Asked the cops at my local police station that customs' demanding an NOC. They said- Bullshit. Ask those customs guys to write a letter stating that they'll need a police noc to get it cleared from customs.

Met the deputy commissioner of customs through the fedex clearing agent. Fedex agent had told me to come to Express Building, Andheri. I was wearing my NRAI t-shirt, and wanted to give that kind of an impression to customs. Anyway..

Dep Comm called the examiner and said- "Koi noc ki zarurat nahin hai. Sign kar do".

Thats it!

It depends on how you deal with those guys- your body language- they way you speak and tackle them. :)

For my next import, I already got the Bill of Entry (document) with me, which mentions what docs were submitted by me- which weapon was imported.

The next time they ask for a police noc, I got the document signed and stamped by customs commissioner.

Lucky me? :)

boomboom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by boomboom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:22 am

@ Arun Tiwari .. you are a very lucky man.

Could I please request you to send me a copy of the Dy Commissioners letter asking them to free your gun. "Koi kuc zaroorat nahi". Once they see the initiative has been taken by one of their officers - they will free it for all.
Kindly do us this favour.
Thanks a lot !

ashishadvocate81
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ashishadvocate81 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:55 am

tiwariarrun wrote:Been there, done that! :)

For my next import, I already got the Bill of Entry (document) with me, which mentions what docs were submitted by me- which weapon was imported.

The next time they ask for a police noc, I got the document signed and stamped by customs commissioner.

Lucky me? :)
my custom agent said that it is good if i have "bill of entry" of any who has imported the air rifle or air pistol. can you send me the bill of entry at [email protected] or post it at the same forum.

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Everyone- please wait till 29h Jan. Why wait? because our boys from Asian shooting championship will be back after 29th. Before the stay order on High Court's judgement, the customs had said that the guns will be confiscated, and will not be allowed to pass when they return.

Now, once the customs let them enter WITH their guns, they WILL HAVE TO release all the guns which are stuck. Right? And after that if you're still not able to get your guns released, please forget them forever- no one's going to get spoon feeded. You will have to fight for your individual rights because no agent or no fedex going to help. Period!

Why don't we all gather all together and do a dharna or something. Teenagers in our country have become to active - for every little thing they do a flash mob.. and its working. Dont you'll realise it?

Am I making sense to anyone? Guys, everyone's frustrated and its hightime, we HAVE TO get our guns cleared. Because customs department won't let them lie there forever- they will get AUCTIONED in open market. And we will not let this happen.

Lets do an IFG Meet Delhi at customs office. We get to meet up, and let those officers know that no one's a fool here to let it go just like that. Agree?

LETS DO IT!

Regards,
Arrun
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boomboom
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by boomboom » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:52 pm

@Arun Tiwari .. why 29th Jan ? anything about to happen that will change the current rules ?

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Please share the copy of the CPs letter (the one I have is more than a decade old) attested by your local police station, Please do. Might come in handy when importing the FWB700. BTW what did you import ?

M.
tiwariarrun wrote:Been there, done that! :)

When I imported my rifle, they asked for the same thing - Police NOC. I said, as per the rule book, its not required- but I did attached Mumbai Commissioner's notification copy which states that air rifles/pistols, cal .177 doesnt require firearms lic. I got it attested though.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi FF- letter attached. I am sure its the same one you're talking about.

I personally went to customs office - the fedex agent took me to the warehouse where the examiner came. Some dumb lady she was! When she saw the rifle, she said, "Asli ki hai". I was like- WTF! "No ma'am, air gin hai."

Then she went through the docs. (She wsnt supposed to because the examiner's job is just to verify the invoice and see the material if its the same thing thats mentioned in the invoice)

She saw the commissioner's notification and said- "Ispe 2001 ki date hai. Mujhe latest copy chahiye." And she just walked out.

I got so pissed. I took my file and came home. Called up my friend who's a local politician. Told him about the NOC thing. He gave me a ref, and then I went to the police station. The police said you don't need an noc for an airgun. Which idiot asked you to get a police noc for that? I said customs.. They were like- tell customs to write a letter. (ego issues)

Then I showed them the commissioner's notification. Then the cops were like- "ye hai na, phir noc ki kya zarurat". I said, "unhein LATEST copy chahiye".

Then one of the cops said- "La idhar". He went through that and stamped it, signed with latest date on it.

Next day the fedex guy took me directly to the sup of customs. he called the examiner...and you know the rest.

I don't have the attested copy because the customs kept the original docs with them.

MaheshMB
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by MaheshMB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:28 pm

I can not see any letter as attachment. Please share it.

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am

Oh I am sorry I forgot to attach the doc. I am sure everyone got this one already. Thats what it is. its no even required but...

Regards,
Arrun

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 pm

See what I mean ? You had to pull weight and call people to make them fall in line. Unfortunately for me I had to rough it out. The cops were really very nice, co-operative and quick.......But I never gave up with the customs guys......I said "@#ck them, I'll get my FWB out, what ever the cost in time and money"

M.

tiwariarrun wrote:Hi FF- letter attached. I am sure its the same one you're talking about.

I personally went to customs office - the fedex agent took me to the warehouse where the examiner came. Some dumb lady she was! When she saw the rifle, she said, "Asli ki hai". I was like- WTF! "No ma'am, air gin hai."

Then she went through the docs. (She wsnt supposed to because the examiner's job is just to verify the invoice and see the material if its the same thing thats mentioned in the invoice)

She saw the commissioner's notification and said- "Ispe 2001 ki date hai. Mujhe latest copy chahiye." And she just walked out.

I got so pissed. I took my file and came home. Called up my friend who's a local politician. Told him about the NOC thing. He gave me a ref, and then I went to the police station. The police said you don't need an noc for an airgun. Which idiot asked you to get a police noc for that? I said customs.. They were like- tell customs to write a letter. (ego issues)

Then I showed them the commissioner's notification. Then the cops were like- "ye hai na, phir noc ki kya zarurat". I said, "unhein LATEST copy chahiye".

Then one of the cops said- "La idhar". He went through that and stamped it, signed with latest date on it.

Next day the fedex guy took me directly to the sup of customs. he called the examiner...and you know the rest.

I don't have the attested copy because the customs kept the original docs with them.

Darr ke aage jeet hai