Sneak Preview -The new IHP Compressed Air Pistol

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Shankar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Sneak Preview -The new IHP Compressed Air Pistol

Post by Shankar » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:58 pm

I H P .177/4.5 mm CALIBER PRE-COMPRESSED AIR PISTOL

Here’s a hands on review on the NEW PRE-COMPRESSED AIR PISTOL by National Rifles, a division of IHP.

I had kept a tab on its development with Dr. Shirshat (the brain behind its design) from its inception. After a long wait I finally got the PCP air pistol by courier in a nice little camo bag. It has the serial number 004, and along with was a filling hose and an adaptor, which was pre-tested at the factory.

Here is an FIR :)
Externally it looks and feels the same as the CO2 pistol, IHP made and marketed; internally, the design and valve is different, robust and heavier. The filling is simple and straight forward done thru the hose and adaptor connected to a bulk fill air cylinder or a Gehmann pump at 150 bar. Be specific as to which type of filling hose you need while ordering as they cater to all sizes in BSP format. The tech guys at the factory said a 100 shots per fill. I got 80 without losing power.
Loading the pellet is by dropping a 4.5mm/.177 pellet in the port and closing the cocking bolt. My air-pistol had a sticky trigger but with a little fiddling on the Allen grub screws, I managed to sort it out and got used to the first/second trigger movement stages.
I feel a lot can be done on the grip that comes at a more comfortable angle than its CO2 predecessor. To start with, I did an over-all stipple job on the highly polished wooden grip with an adjustable shelf. This produced the desired grip on the air-pistol, although surely not comparable with a Nill-griffe or a Morrini.
A test on a beta CRONY showed a decent 484 to 506 fps over 60 shots – used 4.5 mm Match Finale flat head pellets which seemed the best fodder for the barrel. Free hand half inch groups were not at all difficult and once a hand rest was used, the 5-shot groups shrank to one hole of 8 to 10mm size, on a standard 10mt AP target.
The valve sub-assembly design is so critical which is how the good Doc has achieved pressure regulation without a regulator on this pistol. Since there is no muzzle brake or venting on the barrel, the muzzle flip needs getting used to.

Here is a pic with the pneumatic hose connected to the pistol

Of the two different hoses shown, the connected hose is for the Gehmann pump or to load from a compressed air cylinder, while the other can be used on a Gehmann pump or a Hill Pump (with suitable adapter).

Considering its price at roughly 11k (complete kit), at one eighth the price of a Lp10 or a Morinni, I would definitely say this is the right choice for beginners and a fun gun for plinking. I hear more improvements in performance on future batches are in line.Overall the air-pistol performed well within given parameters. I shall be testing out the next batch at the KSRA ranges, as a lot of members have lined up to buy this. If any of you folks get to lay your hands on one these air-pistols please share your experience and noted improvements.

...Shankar.
Last edited by Shankar on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sneak Preview -The new IHP Compressed Air Pistol

Post by TenX » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:02 pm

For its price and general quality, it is an excellent deal.
I managed to shoot two consecutive 9.5's in the first two shots; considering firing a pistol after almost 3 years, the pistol seemed mighty accurate ;)
The hold, weight distribution and recoil is very much similar to its elder brother, the CO2, and the bag it comes with is interestingly very nice :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:28 am

How can i order this air pistol.
Cherian.k.k

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:19 am

Cherian...
You may need to directly contact the IHP factory at Ahmedabad. The dealers and manufacturer's links inside the forum has the address and contact of the factory...

All the best :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:34 pm

hi shankar

i am ordering a ihp pistol. can you clarify whether the filling of compressed air requires any special eqpt. can it be done from any compressed air cylinder. i am just a beginner hence please clarify in detail

jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:25 am

hey shankar

can you please take out some time to advice me on the above mentioned issue as i will be soon getting my IHP compressed air pistol and wont know how to recharge it without your help

Jitu

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:32 am

Jitu.
The PCP comes with its set of adapters that will match almost all types of filling equipments, from the foot pump to the big cylinder to the electronic pump. It is safe to go ahead with the IHP, since their set of adapters will fulfill your filling needs almost anywhere in India.
Worst case, if you pick up a local big cylinder and the nozzle does not match, you may have to invest in another adapter, which may not cost much. Ideally, once you have the IHP, carry the adapter with you before choosing on the filling equipment.

All the best,
:)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:41 am

thanks tenx. any advice on basic steps to start shooting as an absolute beginner

jitu

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Jitu... There were some good topics in the knowledge base... DO go thru them.
I will, in the meantime, compile a summary for beginning pistol shooting and post them :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Shankar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Shankar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi Jitu,
You can fill from a standard breathing compressed air cylinder. Be specific while ordering the pistol and fill hose adaptor. I would recommend one with a pressure gauge as you need to fill to 150 bar. A comp cylinder is usually filled to 207 bar. The gauge would help in filling to proper recommended pressure. If you fill from a pump( like a Gehmann) the gauge is built on it so there is no need order the hose with a pressure gauge and save some money. Good to know you are getting a pcp pistol and I am sure you will have fun with it............. Shankar

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:24 pm

thanks shankar and tenx. i will be specific while ordering as advised by shankar. waiting for tenx to post the basic steps
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:22 am

hey tenx i am still waiting. some tips please

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Jitu.
Request you to hold on just a bit longer please... am terribly held up with domestic responsibilities...

:)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:30 pm

thx will wait

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:24 pm

hey tenx have you been able to find some time to compile the info i had requested. would really help in in starting