Re-Export of air gun to dubai

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Re-Export of air gun to dubai

Post by nagarifle » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:33 pm

hi highland sniper

could you post your experience on the following link as this would be most useful for all.

thanks

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=390
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:02 am

AAR and highland sniper, why don't the both of you file an RTI with Delhi and Hyderabad customs asking them the exact reason and article for which your Air-rifles have been confiscated?

That should give you something on paper to take it forward with. Once the reply comes and depending on the response given by Customs, you can post the same and seek help from the seniors in the forum to solve your problem.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

highland sniper
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by highland sniper » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:18 am

nagarifle wrote:hi highland sniper

could you post your experience on the following link as this would be most useful for all.

thanks

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=390
Sure nagarifle, will summarise the whole experience and post in the other thread. will try to do this ASAP but not later than this weekend.

Best

-- Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:22 am --
m24 wrote:AAR and highland sniper, why don't the both of you file an RTI with Delhi and Hyderabad customs asking them the exact reason and article for which your Air-rifles have been confiscated?

That should give you something on paper to take it forward with. Once the reply comes and depending on the response given by Customs, you can post the same and seek help from the seniors in the forum to solve your problem.

Regards
Thanks m24, Nagarifle also suggested the RTI route. I've just arrived in India on TR, can someone please guide on how to file an RTI in this case. Any experiences on how long do the replies take.

Best,
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
- Edmund Burke

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:20 pm

I have not filed an RTI myself, so would not know the process. But there's a site called www.rtination.com. The guys there would do it for you for a fee, or you go about the whole process yourself. But keep in mind that you are dealing with a government department, so don't keep any timelines or deadlines for getting it done. Patience only will let you win this race.

Regards

highland sniper
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by highland sniper » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:14 pm

Acting on the advice given by worthy seniors on this forum, I intend to file an RTI application with Delhi customs to my .22 airgun which has been detained at Delhi Airport. Following is the draft that I have prepared. Request if someone experienced with RTI can validate/ review the following content.

To,
The Chief Public Information Officer
Office of Commissioner of Customs Delhi Zone
New Custom House,
Near IGI Airport & Air Cargo Complex,
New Delhi-110037

Dear Sir / Madam:

Sub: Request for Information under the Right to Information Act, 2005

Kindly, provide me the following information:

1. I arrived as TR from Dubai on 27th October, 2009.
2. I carried a .22 airgun as part of my personal baggage which I dutyfully declared to the customs officials on duty.
3. The Airgun is intended to be used for target practice and is strictly for personal use only.
4. As I understand from DGFT Notification No-12/2005 dated 04.07.2005, import of .177 air rifles has been made duty free for members of rifle clubs.
5. Indian Exim Policy Chapter 93 : Arms and ammunition; parts and accessories thereof heading 93.04 Subheading 9304.00 clearly states that the rate of applicable duty is 35%.
6. However my Airgun has been detained by the customs at Delhi Airport as they are not clear whether .22 caliber airguns are importable or not.
7. After meeting warehouse suprintendent, Astt Commissioner and then right upto to Adll commissioner customs, here's what I have been told:
a. .177 as well as .22 are restricted if imported via baggage route. All exemptions are applicable only for import through cargo route.
b. for those with club membership cards, 100% duty is to be paid.
c. Clearance from DGFT has now been made mandatory.
d. till this whole paperwork is completed, the airgun will remain with the warehouse and I'll have to bear the warehouse cost of 300Rs/ day
8. I request for the following information to be provided to me.
a. Total number of airguns allowed, by Delhi Customs, to be imported in last one year.
b. Applicable policy for returning Indian citizen, returning as TR, for import of airgun.
c. Why should cutoms not allow sports equipment (in this case a .22 airgun) to be imported, for personal use.
d.

Nagarifle, while I'll be posting my summarised experienced in the other thread. was wondering if its possible to merge the two threads??

Best
- Edmund Burke

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:09 pm

My 2c worth:

Put only points 1, 2 followed by the reason why your air rifle was detained. Ask specifically under which clause of which article of which act. Don't make it a community service thing for the time being. Focus on getting your air rifle out.

Regards

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:10 pm

Refrain from advising people to break the law on this forum! Mod
Last edited by Yaj on Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Dodgy advise
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

highland sniper
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by highland sniper » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:42 pm

Rakshit, Well sometimes we do repent being on the right side of the law, and this is one such ocassion for me. What customs have detained is my airgun in two pieces, I dismantled the whole thing and even the trigger is with me (i was just trying my skills for changing the trigger at the time of packing my bags). Since it was packed in my checked-in baggage, its not even in a case. I wrapped it in a large plastic bag before handing it over to them. I was under the impression that .22 is importable subject to duty paid and dutyfully announced it to the chap on duty. Little did I realise that it'll be this big an issue.

Anyhow, I'm now mentally prepared to have lost it to customs welfare cause but as Nagarifle suggested, I'll defenitly make the white brigade work for they want.

Best

-- Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:44 pm --

and you're right, they would not have known had I not volunteered for this situation. My bags did not bear any cross marks when I collected them from the belt.

Best

-- Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:47 pm --
m24 wrote:My 2c worth:

Put only points 1, 2 followed by the reason why your air rifle was detained. Ask specifically under which clause of which article of which act. Don't make it a community service thing for the time being. Focus on getting your air rifle out.

Regards
Point noted. thanks
- Edmund Burke

m_naorem
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by m_naorem » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:27 am

i'm confused, is it legal or illegal to import .22 air rifle.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:35 am

M24 gave me this email which was sent to the NARI asking about import of .22 air rifle and they sent this back.

'For .22 Rifle you have to get import license from DGFT.'

what this means is that one can get a .22 but with import license and duty payable.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

m_naorem
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by m_naorem » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:01 pm

That means one can import .22 smoothly after obtaining the import license.

But what about the import license, will the authorities grant license to any individual who may or may not be member of a rifle club/association.