The most powerful air rifle... Anybody???

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The most powerful air rifle... Anybody???

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:14 am

Nash, Santosh,

Power is understandable in bikes and cars not in air rifles.

For air rifles you will not need anything more "powerful" than 825fps in .177 and 615fps in .22.

The reason is airguns, particularly springers at these power levels are very docile to shoot.

For PCPs it does not make sense to go for the high power ones because beyond 1100fps the pellets will go supersonic and wobble in flight which will affect accuracy.

PCPs also do not make one a disciplined shooter.

Gamo advertises an air rifle at 1650fps (etched on the air rifle) but that model is a pig to shoot and the advertised velocity is never achieved practically. Its accuracy, better not talk about it.

Please do not get carried away away by power advertising. In the sport of Field Target shooters shoot a 45mm diameter zone at a range of 50 metres from an air rifle that shoots at about 775fps. The pellets used weigh 8 grains. This is very difficult to acieve, needs tremendous amount of shooting consistency and is a worthy goal to pursue.

Whatever air rifle you have in mind, your buying decision should be based on the following factors in the given order.

- Accuracy (of course as high as possible)
- Balance of the air rifle (not too muzzle heavy or butt heavy)
- Weight (lesser the better)
- Force required for cocking (lesser the better)
- Power (825fps in .177 and 615fps in .22)

Hope I reached out to you.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

For Advertising mail webmaster
santhosh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by santhosh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:16 am

fantumfan Well said :agree:

If we need more power why spend so much money on airgun we can get a firearm instead... airgun are fun for target shooting and plinking... for me its a stress buster ,accuracy and ease of use is every thing, most of the indian guns lack this just because of their poor finish ,it dosent mean that all Desi guns are crap and if we get an imported gun we will be shooting accurately, its all in the way how the gun is built and how we handle and get used to it.

for most of the newbies fisrt thing that will get in to their mind is we need the most powerful gun ,but after buying one if its not on target that will really piss you off.

so higher accuracy and optimal power is what we need.

:cheers:
Santhosh.B

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:19 pm

santosh,

It won't be correct to condemn Indian air rifles outright. IHP, Tommy, Cannon, Aimco and AK Agni all make resonablly good air rifles. In fact a lot of budding target shooters compete in 10mtr open sight competitions all over the country with IHP Mod 25 in .177 cal. every year.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

santhosh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by santhosh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:27 pm

hey i think you got me wrong, even i like the desi guns, all i am saying is they need some tuning for a better performace and the finish is not so great like the blueing the stock finish, sights etc , but still the are good for beginers even i have my IHP 32 ,its barrel started to rust which is not a good sign ,still i oil it well and maintan it by keeping it in a dry area , i am planning to get a cannon now.

Cheers
Santhosh.B

rsuresh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rsuresh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:56 pm

nash wrote: I asked for National rifles... but to my utter surprise that guy said... IHP doesnt make rifles anymore and the production was stopped long back... I was dumbstuck and didn't know what to say.... anyways... i knew what i was upto.... so asked for other brands...
That's a false claim, Its good that you judged him
nash wrote: anyways... i've placed an order for National .22 with Aimco Calcutta.. and have started the count down for its arrival
I appreciate that you took sometime and placed the order with Aimco. Good move. Every one here had only positive feedback for Aimco. I can vouch for them

Thanks for sharing some information regarding the guns and prices of Samandam and sons !

--Suresh.R
--Suresh.R

nash
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nash » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:58 pm

santhosh wrote: for most of the newbies fisrt thing that will get in to their mind is we need the most powerful gun ,but after buying one if its not on target that will really piss you off.

:cheers:
Santhosh.B

You sure must be a very good target shooter santosh!!!!

My bad.... I'm The target!!!!

-- Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:03 pm --
fantumfan2003 wrote:
Please do not get carried away away by power advertising. In the sport of Field Target shooters shoot a 45mm diameter zone at a range of 50 metres from an air rifle that shoots at about 775fps. The pellets used weigh 8 grains. This is very difficult to acieve, needs tremendous amount of shooting consistency and is a worthy goal to pursue.

Whatever air rifle you have in mind, your buying decision should be based on the following factors in the given order.

- Accuracy (of course as high as possible)
- Balance of the air rifle (not too muzzle heavy or butt heavy)
- Weight (lesser the better)
- Force required for cocking (lesser the better)
- Power (825fps in .177 and 615fps in .22)

Hope I reached out to you.
You Sure did Fantum... and point taken... i'll always remember these words of wisdom...

But i cant really help it.... I have a thing for POWER, SPEED AND VELOCITY....

Not everyone can handle a F1 Car... but every dreams about driving one... my case is kinda similar...

But anyways... May be with a little help from u... i'll be able to tone myself down a bit... and get the right gun for myself...

Cheers!!!!

-- Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm --
I appreciate that you took sometime and placed the order with Aimco. Good move. Every one here had only positive feedback for Aimco. I can vouch for them

Thanks for sharing some information regarding the guns and prices of Samandam and sons !

--Suresh.R
Thank u too suresh for reading my post......

yeah Aimco comes across as the best bet when it comes to IHP.... and Joy Biswas is a true gentleman.... superfast respone and great service... would definitely deal with him many more times!!! eagerly waiting for My National .22 .. hopefully it will be reaching chennai on wednesday....

have u any idea about the Gumark of pune??? i enquired bout their collection and got a reply saying they have a Diana 34 Premium for 34K.... are they trustworty guyz..... i dont intend to buy the rifle now.... but still does jus to know...???

-- Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:20 pm --

jus have a look guyz its a gun shop in new zealand....

I wonder when india will have a gun shop like this..... i think never .....considering the present situation prevailing in our country!!!
guncity.jpg
santhosh wrote:fantumfan Well said :agree:

If we need more power why spend so much money on airgun we can get a firearm instead...
Santhosh.B
Hey santosh do u really think getting a firearm licence is so easy.... if it is then pls get me one buddy....

I'll be grateful to u for the rest of my life!!! :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I would rather be hated for who I am..
Than be loved for who I am not"

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:03 pm

nash

Very high Power, Speed and Velocity has no place in shooting.

Please be aware that hunting is banned in our country but this pdf file on hunting from the USA gives some very good technical info on the air rifles to choose.
You will be pleasantly surprised at their power levels and max ranges.
Enjoy....

ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/airguns/airgunhunt.pdf

M.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

nash
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nash » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Thats a nice piece of info fantum..

Thanks.

nash
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nash » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:13 am

I have ordered IHP .22 from Aimco.... i was split between .177 and .22..... actually i still am confused.... did i make the right choice by going for the .22......... i think we should buy both to relieve our mind from the anxiety of "which is a better choice" feeling....

My .22 is on its way from calcutta to chennai... i'm already contemplating buying a .177 cal Cannon LG 65...

WHAT SAY GUYS/?????

Vassili Zaitsev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vassili Zaitsev » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:16 am

yeah man...the Gun is extreme and fast as our thought!!!! i like to have it for me !!! the stock is amazing..zoom it and check it out.I saw those vidoes too.
"Everything that has a beginning, has an end !!!"

nash
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nash » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:47 pm

After reading numerous posts and reviews about powerful airguns... courtesy FANTUMFAN and SANTOSH.... I've come to understand that... Powerfull doesn't always mean better, and it's often even worse. It's a well known beginners mistake among young and inexperienced people like me and to go for the airgun which "shoots the fastest" or has the most power. Especially Gamo is a brand popular among such people, because they are more fond of advertising their rifles with their velocities instead of their accuracy, often even not mentioning with what pellet.  Velocity and power are worth shit if you can't hit your target ( courtesy Fantumfan)......

rsuresh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rsuresh » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:41 pm

nash wrote:My .22 is on its way from calcutta to chennai... i'm already contemplating buying a .177 cal Cannon LG 65...
You really can try My HW in 177 before you go in for any 177, hope we will have a meet sometime in Chennai. Till then dont buy anystuff other than the IHP you ordered.

--Suresh.R
--Suresh.R

nash
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nash » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Sure suresh.. I would love to have a look at ur rifle.. Jus tell me when and i'll be right over!!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:10 am

Nash, You have a bit of a problem here; one of our posters, Atanu, was carded for supporting Tirths, who was asked to cease and desist from coming on IFG, FOR COUNTERFEITING airgun parts of a reputable manufacturer-MACCARI,in USA.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 280#p99280

Could be a bad case of sour grapes, but Atanu has PM'ed me to ask whether IFG will be warning you for mentioning tirth. Please consider this a warning without a yellow card...

Hey Atanu, Happy? :mrgreen:

here's atanu's PM:

Re: Board warning issued

Sent: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:49 pm
To: eljefe
Hi Dr. eljefe,

Will you now now issue a warning to this guy for mentioning Tirths in the forum as recently as June 08, 2010?? :(

BR// Atanu

nash"Posted on June 08, 2010]HI Tirths.... This is nash here from Chennai...

I'm planning to buy a PCP Imported air rifle.. kindly guide me / help me / get me one...

Thanks and regards....[/quote]
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:02 pm

An HW77K is the best springer to own in .177. Its an investment that even ones grandchildren can use. They are made to last. Slightly heavy but thats beneficial in target shooting. So accurate that you wont be able to exploit its accuracy potential for some time and very pleasant to shoot. Indeed I will recommend it. Its expensive so better start saving for it from now if you must. Meanwhile get an IHP 25 or 35 in .177 if you want to start out in 10mtr competition.

M.

rsuresh wrote:
nash wrote:My .22 is on its way from calcutta to chennai... i'm already contemplating buying a .177 cal Cannon LG 65...
You really can try My HW in 177 before you go in for any 177, hope we will have a meet sometime in Chennai. Till then dont buy anystuff other than the IHP you ordered.

--Suresh.R

Darr ke aage jeet hai