Flexible sword with toothed double-edged blade

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Asingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Flexible sword with toothed double-edged blade

Post by Asingh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi,
Can anybody help with identifying the sword in the center of the attached photograph.

Thanks,

Akshay
sword photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Flexible sword with toothed double-edged blade

Post by TC » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Asingh wrote:Hi,
Can anybody help with identifying the sword in the center of the attached photograph.

Thanks,

Akshay
sword photo.JPG
Its a traditional Khanda with a serpentine blade. There were khandas that actually had broad tips that were shaped like the head of a snake. Not very practical for use in war. I guess these were made for presentation.
In Malayasia this kind of blade is called a Kris. Its almost a symbol of that country.
Welcome on board Asingh. Please introduce yourself in the introduction section.

Cheers
TC

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:47 am

Thanks,

Akshay
sword photo.JPG
Hi Akshay;

A very warm welcome to IFG. May i ask where have you taken this pic. The talwar in the centre is a very unique variation of the Nagin Talwar or serpentine shaped blade in Indo Persian Type Edged weapons. This Talwar was also part of the maratha arsenal where it was called Jamdaad.
This particular example seems to be of Indo Persian origin looking at the Lahori type of hilt and not a Jamdaad.

Even c
For a nagin the way the serrations are on the blade is unlike I have ever seen. Its a very unique example although by the looks of it is rotting away to glory on someones wall....

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Asingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Asingh » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:15 am

Thanks for your replies. Have seen a few examples of the nagin type of blades in books and museums, but haven't seen one like this anywhere so was curios to know if it had a specific name. It belongs to our family (from Maksudpur in Bihar) and we have a few typically Maratha weapons (Maratha Patta), but didn't know this one could have a Maratha connection.

Have attached pictures of some of the other weapons from the display.

Thanks again,

Akshay
photo (1).JPG
photo (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:01 am

Super display ... A lil more love n TLC for the heirlooms.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:32 pm

TC wrote:

Thanks,

Akshay
sword photo.JPG
Its a traditional Khanda with a serpentine blade. There were khandas that actually had broad tips that were shaped like the head of a snake. Not very practical for use in war. I guess these were made for presentation.
In Malayasia this kind of blade is called a Kris. Its almost a symbol of that country.
Welcome on board Asingh. Please introduce yourself in the introduction section.

Cheers
TC
Hi TCda,

The Khanda you are referring to are these with the typical hindu box hilt type.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4571

http://www.swordsantiqueweapons.com/s1058_full.html

This is what appears to be a double edged Nagin Talwar albeit a very unique one...

Regards
Moin
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:51 pm

Asingh wrote:Thanks for your replies. Have seen a few examples of the nagin type of blades in books and museums, but haven't seen one like this anywhere so was curios to know if it had a specific name. It belongs to our family (from Maksudpur in Bihar) and we have a few typically Maratha weapons (Maratha Patta), but didn't know this one could have a Maratha connection.

Have attached pictures of some of the other weapons from the display.

Thanks again,

Akshay
photo (1).JPG
photo (2).JPG
My gawd, hurts to see these in these condition. Can I request when ever you get time please take some better pictures and share in the forum.

Also what you have is an examples of the Khyber Salawar also called as Karud. These belong to the Afghan Churra family of blades and are larger i.e to be used as a short sword. Flat ground, single edged and with a T Spine for the chain mail peircing Indo Persian Pesh Kabz type blades...

Please see these links.

http://atkinson-swords.com/collection-b ... istan.html

http://www.higgins-collection.org/artifacts/3280

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... C05602.JPG

Regards
Moin

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks Moin,

As you know well, Indian swords are not my expertise :D That's your forte brother :D
That's the most I could do.

Cheers

TC

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:14 pm

I have medivel Kirpan called Karamati tulwar,Tegha and of course flexible khanda I will soon post pics.

Asingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Asingh » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:00 am

Hi Moin,

Thanks for those links. Would be grateful if you could point out the best way to restore some of these weapons. These and a few muzzle loaders were last cleaned and coated with some varnish many years back. That seems to have worn out and they have started to rust again. Some of our better swords are kept greased and used for puja during Dussehra, but these have been on display since a very long time. I'm guessing we should but them in some sort of air tight display cabinet post restoration.
Will be back home in a few weeks and will post some better pictures.

Many thanks,

Akshay

Asingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Asingh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:41 am

Hi,
I have attached some pictures of the Nagin sword after some scrubbing and waxing. Also a picture of the Khyber knives and the rest of the display.

Best wishes,

Akshay

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:05 pm

Check out the following post for some basics on restoring old blades
https://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopi ... =22&t=3084

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Yes the middle one is nagini talwar. Above weapons could be fairly old. Maybe few centuries old or have some history attached to them.

Why a serpentine shape was given? Following reasons come to the mind -

The serpentine weapon is a metaphorical symbolization of a poisonous snake that can cause quick death. Serpentine appearance imparts unusual and intimidating look to the weapon, possibly causing some psychological fear or panic in the unconscious part of the mind of opponent. In case of stabbing action, such curved blades would surely cause wider wound channel. Means quick blood loss, causing quick death to the opponent. Thus the weapon living up to its metaphorical symbolization with a poisonous snake causing quick death.

For the same length of construction, more metal is required. Means more weight to the weapon. Means more momentum while stabbing or slicing, especially when used against armor clad opponent. Similar weapon called nagni barcha(serpentine spear) was used by General Bachittar Singh to wound an armor clad, drunken elephant set loose to break the doors of a fort during the second battle of Anandpur in Punjab, fought between the Sikh forces on one side and combined forces of the Hill Rajas(of present day Himachal Pradesh) and the Mughals around 1704 A.D. Just search the internet for "nagni barcha" or "second battle of Anandpur". Since there is a well settled historical precedent of the use of serpentine weapon to wound armor clad elephant, I disagree with the view that serpentine shaped weapons were for ceremonial use only.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:32 pm

This called Nagani sword but it has litle role in fighting real weapon with extraordinary speed is GOLIYA SWORD. Then Sirohi the sikh sword 3.75 feet
with smaller handle can cut through tree.