Cold Steel Factory in India ???

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
aji_kappil
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Cold Steel Factory in India ???

Post by aji_kappil » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi Everybody,

I read somewhere that Cold Steel has it's Production Units in India and China.

Most European Swords for Cold Steel is made in India under their supervision.

http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide.co ... words.html

I did lot of research but I am not able to locate where this Factory / Sub-Contractor is...

If anybody has any ideas, please share...

For Advertising mail webmaster
choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Cold Steel Factory in India ???

Post by choombak » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:51 am

aji_kappil wrote:Hi Everybody,

I read somewhere that Cold Steel has it's Production Units in India and China.

Most European Swords for Cold Steel is made in India under their supervision.

http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide.co ... words.html

I did lot of research but I am not able to locate where this Factory / Sub-Contractor is...

If anybody has any ideas, please share...
From my experience with Spyderco, I can fairly assume that this information will be "confidential", and there are almost no chances of it leaking out. And even if it does, Cold Steel may deny they work with this vendor.

aji_kappil
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by aji_kappil » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 am

You are right.....I think I will have to give up this whole idea.....

Thank you for your reply :)

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 am

Don't know who is their contract manufacturer in India, but you'll find plenty of their Chinese vendors on http://en.alibaba.com/

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:52 am

mundaire wrote:Don't know who is their contract manufacturer in India, but you'll find plenty of their Chinese vendors on http://en.alibaba.com/

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Nah - these are mostly fakes. Even if you order, the box you get it in will be a simple cardboard type, than the one shown in the picture. And Cold Steel knows this brand abuse, but since the fakes operate out of China, it is very difficult to use any law to prosecute (China does not honor any foreign issued patents or copyrights!!!). I remember a case where Spyderco finally gave up, and decided not to do anything about it - the best way, they said, was to educate users about these fakes so they do not fall prey. Spyderco forums' have a "Fakes/Counterfeits" sub-section where such things are posted.

-Amarendra

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:11 pm

To be honest I have never procured anything from alibaba, but I do know that Buck, Browning, Kershaw, S&W Cold Steel etc. all have OEM suppliers based out of China. In fact I have a Kershaw folder I picked up from Cabela's which is (you guessed it) Made in China (as are so many of the other well known brands). The Chinese goods that usually make it to India are of the lowest quality, but Chinese manufacturers produce goods of all qualities - some of which are really good, especially in relation to the asking price.

While I simply used a google search, I'm sure there would be a way to identify the relevant OEM suppliers in China and procure directly from them; at a much lower price than that charged by US retailers. Chinese manufacturers are known treat non-compete contracts somewhat casually... :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:33 pm

i agree that china makes knives for most top brands, which is top doller using good high grade steel workmanship etc.

but have to be ware of what one is getting for 5 Cent as compared to $20
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

aji_kappil
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by aji_kappil » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Thank You for all your replies..

Now with all these responses, I am beginning to wonder if my Smith n Wesson - Tanto Blade Tactical Folder is a fake :roll:

I will post pics of it soon, I have this one for almost a year now and the quality seems to be far better than the other chinese made Folders that I have.....

Regards,

AK

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi Guys,

There are many manufacturers based out of Roorkee and Dehradoon, which supply/ export to Cold Steel. I once contacted them as per my quest to acquire two swords....1796 cavalary sabre and Napoleonic sabre.

They advised me adversly as they have suggested that I will need to have license to posses these swords in India and they operate for Cold Steel under special permits.

Upon my pursuence they have told me that these are blunt swords and one cannot order for a single of two sword, it has to be a bulk purchase.

Cheers..

aji_kappil
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by aji_kappil » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:46 am

Hi Perfectionist,

Thank you for the update....Infact, I also had the same sword from Cold steel in my wish list...The Pattern 1796 cavalry Sabre :D

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry for replying to this post for long, I was actually looking forward to see the actual cold steel sword...finally late last month I saw one, it was in the hands of Dulha (groom) in a wedding, supplied by the organizer guys, in Delhi.

I was shameless to actually ask for holding it :) it was a rapier, was really pathetic in quality, it was flimsy, just a show piece.

I dropped the idea of possessing one.

I will go for Jaipur trip as one of our learned IFGian has decribed so eloquently in his travelouge to Jaipur and try to get one of those Indian Talwars, at least they will be real piece.

Still have to check legal aspects of possession, then will decide.

Cheers...

bastab12
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bastab12 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 am

Windlass cutlery at Dehradun