Carrying knifes in India- The Experince & How people react

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
taha_mys
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Carrying knifes in India- The Experince & How people react

Post by taha_mys » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 pm

I kept a dismantled 43cm bowie (rambo) knife in a bag and went into the market to have it fixed ,the bolt at the butt that connects the handle with the tang and the bolster had come off.So when i entered a shop to ask for the L shaped key to fasten the bolt ,and took the knife still in the sheath out ,there was a lady who first asked what it was for ,a young working lady who I guess knew the shopkeeper -a hardware shop I was at .So my friend named Rajinder who was with me answered that this was for killing chicken.The shopkeeper was a bit quick though to a wild guess,he waived his hand swiftly implying "knife fights".
The next thing I was sure that they all are going to ask lots of questions to know that we were are not foreigners.The lady had a lot of enquiries . She straight away asked which bank we had an account in and the place we were residing at ,and we answered ,then we came to realise that she was intersted in offering jobs in a bank .
The guy ,the shopkeeper, was busy talking to me ,then he was suggesting me a place that i could get a new wooden handle from ,and sharpen the knife.I get very apologetic and start explaining. Though he was good at telling and helping me at the knife but was quite apprehensive about me.He asked where I Imported this knife from and was repeating that the quality was good though exaggerating about the sharpness of the blade.The last thing he asked that if i had a license for it .He also suggested me to keep it incognito.The experience was really good but at the same time I was aware that even a single wrong word can put me in trouble.So we decided to move ,then while leaving introduced myself to him and thanked them for the tools and help they provided for getting it fixed -after that they felt quite calm but I was'nt .
This really left me wondering about knife laws in India .
Suppose some one is caught with a knife of blade lenght of more than 9 inches ,mine was 11 inch.What is the guys who were standing there would have reported to the police ,what are the actual laws and how do police respond on its level ,what qualifies as a weapon or potential weapon and carrying it in India.How the police make out the intent of a person who is carrying a knife? What is the difference between carrying a pepper spray ,knife and a handgun.
How to apply for a license Lastly?

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Carrying knifes in India- The Experince & How people rea

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:53 am

Requirement of license is not a matter of only knife's blade being more than nine inches in length, even less than nine inches may need a license if there is such a notification issued under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 by Central or State Government for any particular area. Please read Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 and Rule 19 of Arms Rules 1962.

Before embarking on applying for license, do an RTI with the District Magistrate of your area to know if any notification by Central or State Government under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 is in force in your area. If no notification under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959, asking for license for arms other than firearms is in force, then no need of license for arms other than firearms.

Intent of the person is usually made out by his behavior and the circumstances he is found. Therefore you will find police usually saying to media that they have arrested Mr. x moving around with arms under suspicious behavior and circumstances. Police has enough powers under CrPC to arrest any one, any time. Search for CrPC in google and read Chaper V Arrest of Persons.

A pepper spray does not need a license, a knife may need a license if there is notification under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 in your area, a handgun always needs a license under Section 3 of Arms Act 1959.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Raghavachari
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Raghavachari » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 am

Legal issues notwithstanding, a lot of us get asked "Why do you carry a knife?"
I usually quote from another forum I lurk around because I like this reply.
God gave me rather weak teeth and rudimentary claws in an evolutionary trade-off. The hairy-armed person who figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock made it possible for us to be recognizably human in the first place. I wear a wristwatch whether or not I have an appointment to keep, and I carry a pen and/or pencil because I am a literate person whether or not I have a specific writing task ahead of me, and I carry a knife because I am a human and not an ape.

ArmisNine
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ArmisNine » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Last edited by ArmisNine on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raghavachari
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Raghavachari » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 am

bladeforms :)