DIY Knifemaking: Compact Dagger with etched pattern.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

DIY Knifemaking: Compact Dagger with etched pattern.

Post by astronomy.domaine » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 am

Hi all,
sharing pics of a recently made small dagger where I have tried to etch a pattern using gun blue. Was my maiden attempt, so without getting too adventurous, I went for the very basic natural pitting/ageing etch pattern. However, as u may see, it has not at all turned out as desired. :-( . Planning another blade with bleach etching for comparison. looking forward to suggestions and guidance on the process to get different etch patterns like Damascus type swirls etc. my gratitude in advance!

Last edited by astronomy.domaine on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...there is no spoon..."!

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: DIY Knifemaking: Compact Dagger with etched pattern.

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:39 am

Looks different and neat enough.
Have you displayed your knives or are they dumped in a box. Please share how you keep them and what oil do you use to prevent rusting.

Atul

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:09 pm

aadhaulya wrote:Looks different and neat enough.
Have you displayed your knives or are they dumped in a box. Please share how you keep them and what oil do you use to prevent rusting.
Atul
Well, i have a couple of larger ones hanging from walls and perched atop cabinets, but most of them get housed in a 4ft high slotted wooden rack right by my bedside not more than an arms length away, ready to be pulled out! Invariably , each blade gets handled (read: cleaned, oiled, buffed etc and cherished!) atleast once every week or so, which my family strongly suspects, is an OCD i suffer from...! :lol: ...plan to get a proper display rack constructed sometime in the near future..!

I use the 'zorrik88' spray and the good old 'singer machine oil' for general maintenance. :-)

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:54 pm

astronomy.domaine wrote:
aadhaulya wrote:Looks different and neat enough.
Atul
Well, i have a couple of larger ones hanging from walls and perched atop cabinets, but most of them get housed in a 4ft high slotted wooden rack right by my bedside not more than an arms length away, ready to be pulled out! Invariably , each blade gets handled (read: cleaned, oiled, buffed etc and cherished!) atleast once every week or so, which my family strongly suspects, is an OCD i suffer from...! :lol: ...plan to get a proper display rack constructed sometime in the near future..!

I use the 'zorrik88' spray and the good old 'singer machine oil' for general maintenance. :-)
Hi AD,
An honest confession.....I think most of us suffer from OCD when it comes to Guns & Blades ROTFL
Try this out....am sure it should work for making exotic patterns on blades.....
Take a stiff transparent plastic sheet - 0.5mm thick & then using a fine blade cut out a 'filigree' design (see pic below)
This is just an example - you could download various designs to suit you....
Keep the cutout plastic sheet where you desire to have the design on the blade & then apply any bluing agent (eg. Ballistol) on the cutout area....When dried (5 mins) wipe clean & wash with water & apply oil....
Presto - you have an 'engraved / etched' graphic design on your favorite blade :D :D :D
Got the idea?
Briha

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:46 pm

brihacharan wrote: This is just an example - you could download various designs to suit you....
Keep the cutout plastic sheet where you desire to have the design on the blade & then apply any bluing agent (eg. Ballistol) on the cutout area....When dried (5 mins) wipe clean & wash with water & apply oil....
Presto - you have an 'engraved / etched' graphic design on your favorite blade :D :D :D
[ Image ]
Got the idea?
Briha
You don't have to cut out the pattern by hand also. I have seen printers with the 'Car Number Plate' fellows, the printer they use cut out numbers from the sheet to stick it on. I am sure those printers can cut our the designs as well.

Atul

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:47 am

Try this out....am sure it should work for making exotic patterns on blades.....
Take a stiff transparent plastic sheet - 0.5mm thick & then using a fine blade cut out a 'filigree' design (see pic below)
[url=http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/briha ... z.png.html][img]
Now why did I not think of using stencils before!!! :oops:
Thanks a ton Briha sir..!
This motif is pretty neat,,, will try it out and look for a few other on the net.
In fact a kids hobby stencil set can be put to some good use here.

cheers

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:32 am

Hi AD!
Here is an example I came across this morning! Exquisite (pic Below)
CUCHILLOS CANARIOS Canary Island knife / Punal or naife
http://www.swordsantiqueweapons.com

A very good Canary Island naife complete with its original sheath.
This example is 30cms long in the sheath, approx.. 29cms out and has a blade length of 17cms .
The hilt is of multiple stacked horn disks with thin brass spacers and brass inlay to several rings. The end caps are spun brass with decorative ring features and a tall capstan like pommel.
The blade is finely forged with distal taper and a circular bolster. One face is decorated in pin punch designs.
The sheath is leather and very well crafted. The ends are reinforced and a large dome like section of leather protects the hilt and likely offers better security within a belt or sash.
Its a harder to find knife in good condition.
Come on...AD let's see some master pieces created by you soon with filigree etching :D
Briha

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:24 am

Nice looking knife Briha ji.

Atul