knife care

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

knife care

Post by goondasmani » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:50 pm

please suggest me some knife care products available in India.knife maintenance is key in maintaining vintage knife and sheath.please suggest some products for knife care and leather sheath care.i use woly shine for leather sheath and fine coat of wax for blade

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: knife care

Post by brihacharan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:55 pm

goondasmani wrote:please suggest me some knife care products available in India.knife maintenance is key in maintaining vintage knife and sheath.please suggest some products for knife care and leather sheath care.i use woly shine for leather sheath and fine coat of wax for blade
Hi,
Having been associated with an engineering company for over a decade, I've realized the importance of "Preventive Maintenance' :D
This goes for knives too, as most of us get emotionally attached, especially if you're an EDC fan or an outdoors person.
Here are a few tips that could help in keeping your knives looking good & also perform well.
Hope you find them useful as I've done over the years....
All of the knives need proper care if you want to maintain them in good working condition.

• Although most knives are made of very high quality material, they will corrode through a period of time. Wipe the blades now and then with an oil-moistened cloth to prevent rust- especially if you live in a damp climate or close to the sea.
• Do not store knives in their sheaths. The leather collects moisture and creates pits on the blade.
• Do not rely on a folding knife to be permanently locked in position.
• Always keep your knife sharpened - a dull blade can be more dangerous than a properly maintained one.
• Any household grade lubricating oil will suffice. 3-In-One oil is also good for lubricating folding knives as this particular oil does not have an odor.
SUMMARY:
1. Keep your knife dry - the entire knife, not just the blade.
2. Keep your knife clean - especially moving parts and its locking device.
3. Keep your knife oiled - especially pivot points and the blade.
4. Keep your knife sharp. A sharp blade is safer than a dull one.
5. Do not attempt self-repair, since this voids the warranty especially in case of branded knives.

As far as the leather sheaths are concerned, use 'Carnouba Wax'(can be bought online) apply and rub with soft cloth, to maintain their sheen and softness.
Briha

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Briha ji,

Thanks for the good tips. I was also thinking about it as I have just started restoring my old knives and swords.

Atul

goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by goondasmani » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:46 pm

brihacharan wrote:
goondasmani wrote:please suggest me some knife care products available in India.knife maintenance is key in maintaining vintage knife and sheath.please suggest some products for knife care and leather sheath care.i use woly shine for leather sheath and fine coat of wax for blade
Hi,
Having been associated with an engineering company for over a decade, I've realized the importance of "Preventive Maintenance' :D
This goes for knives too, as most of us get emotionally attached, especially if you're an EDC fan or an outdoors person.
Here are a few tips that could help in keeping your knives looking good & also perform well.
Hope you find them useful as I've done over the years....
All of the knives need proper care if you want to maintain them in good working condition.

• Although most knives are made of very high quality material, they will corrode through a period of time. Wipe the blades now and then with an oil-moistened cloth to prevent rust- especially if you live in a damp climate or close to the sea.
• Do not store knives in their sheaths. The leather collects moisture and creates pits on the blade.
• Do not rely on a folding knife to be permanently locked in position.
• Always keep your knife sharpened - a dull blade can be more dangerous than a properly maintained one.
• Any household grade lubricating oil will suffice. 3-In-One oil is also good for lubricating folding knives as this particular oil does not have an odor.
SUMMARY:
1. Keep your knife dry - the entire knife, not just the blade.
2. Keep your knife clean - especially moving parts and its locking device.
3. Keep your knife oiled - especially pivot points and the blade.
4. Keep your knife sharp. A sharp blade is safer than a dull one.
5. Do not attempt self-repair, since this voids the warranty especially in case of branded knives.

As far as the leather sheaths are concerned, use 'Carnouba Wax'(can be bought online) apply and rub with soft cloth, to maintain their sheen and softness.
Briha
im very thankful for your tips

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Tip: Carnauba wax is the wax used to polish cars. Can be obtained from auto accessories shops and big box stores, as well as online. For leather, use any shoe polish - Woly, if you have the moly (sorry, moolah), otherwise Cherry Blossom or Kiwi works well.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:33 pm

Once these waxes are used, dont think the knives remain safe for food prep of any kind. I use coconut oil to give a light coat to all my knives. Has worked pretty well till now.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by goondasmani » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Tip: Carnauba wax is the wax used to polish cars. Can be obtained from auto accessories shops and big box stores, as well as online. For leather, use any shoe polish - Woly, if you have the moly (sorry, moolah), otherwise Cherry Blossom or Kiwi works well.
i used wolly brilliant shine liquid when i removed the label it says high quality carnauba wax

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:08 am

Goondasmani, I somehow do not like liquid products. And I use these for my shoes also.

By the way, try the old British Army spit-and-polish. Use normal water instead of spit, though, just to keep things hygienic.

Step 1. Smear leather conditioner on the item (sheath / shoe / belt / wallet), leave for an hour, polish with cotton cloth (old cotton garment works well).

Step 1A. Same process with leather colour. This is optional, to be used only if you feel the colour is faded.

Step 2. Repeat with wax. I use Cherry Blossom neutral.

Step 3. Lots of elbow grease!! Wrap the cloth around your finger tips, dip in wax, dip in water, and rub, rub, rub, rub. Till you can actually use the leather item as a shaving mirror. You can also use a spray bottle to lightly wet the leather during the process. I use a recycled bottle of Colin. Do not be too free with the water. You'll need double the elbow grease! One way to check if it is done is to lightly run your bare finger on the leather - it shouldn't leave a mark.
(For sheaths, you can use a polishing wheel attached to a bench grinder / angle grinder / Dremel / drill machine. I haven't tried it though! Will try on a sheath for a khukri, currently WIP.)

Step 5. Admire your new shiny boots / sheaths / whatever! If you take a pic, leave the flash off.

Step 6. Use Iodex or similar on your arm(s).

Above process is a modification / mishmash of processes found on various websites on how to care for leather. I shine my shoes about once in two months or more. One round actually lasts that long with 2-3 times a week wear. I mostly drive, though.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:59 pm

EssDee,

You have given the best solution. Reminds me of my NCC days in school.

Atul

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:47 am

Too much wax in the leather may clog the pores and damage it. Any food grade oil on blades and once an year leather treatment for sheaths - neutral shoe wax or leather conditioner. Very important is to inspect once in six months, and take corrective action as necessary. No product is going to protect blades and sheaths ad infinitum.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:18 am

Sorry, I forgot to mention, the spit-and-polish for sheaths typically lasts me more than a year in Mumbai conditions. It is important to treat the inside of the sheath too. For DIY sheaths, I treat with conditioner and wax before stitching the parts together. Don't have any readymade leather sheaths.

If you live in a humid climate, or places with a long / heavy monsoon season, please make sure to treat the blades and leather immediately before monsoons, check at least once mid-monsoon (and treat accordingly, if reqd), and finally post-monsoon.

I have had knives rusted due to lack of rigorous follow up during Mumbai rainy season. Then it's back to sandpaper and elbow grease.

Dry climates will not impact steel to that extent, but leather sheaths may dry out and crack. Moisturiser / conditioner is a must! You can use even moisturiser for human use, if you do not get the Bata / Woly stuff). So, keep the better half happy!
Cheers!

EssDee

goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by goondasmani » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:29 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Sorry, I forgot to mention, the spit-and-polish for sheaths typically lasts me more than a year in Mumbai conditions. It is important to treat the inside of the sheath too. For DIY sheaths, I treat with conditioner and wax before stitching the parts together. Don't have any readymade leather sheaths.

If you live in a humid climate, or places with a long / heavy monsoon season, please make sure to treat the blades and leather immediately before monsoons, check at least once mid-monsoon (and treat accordingly, if reqd), and finally post-monsoon.

I have had knives rusted due to lack of rigorous follow up during Mumbai rainy season. Then it's back to sandpaper and elbow grease.

Dry climates will not impact steel to that extent, but leather sheaths may dry out and crack. Moisturiser / conditioner is a must! You can use even moisturiser for human use, if you do not get the Bata / Woly stuff). So, keep the better half happy!
well said essdee
the bichuwa i have now has been made in chittore (made by my father given to his brother) i got this now in mangalore weather the blade rusts and small mold fungus grows on the leather. im cleaning the blade 3 days once
Last edited by goondasmani on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Nice tips to learn
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....