My New DIY "FS" Knife"

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

My New DIY "FS" Knife"

Post by brihacharan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:00 pm

My new DIY FS Knife!
Way back in 1965, when I was scourging the pawn shops at Paddington – London, I saw an FS knife that pumped up my adrenalin! After a little haggling with the owner, I walked away on cloud 9 holding my new acquisition that had set me back, by 3 pounds & ten shillings!

Even to this day, this beauty enjoys a pride of place among my small collection of blades!

My recent foray into DYI blade making kindled an urge to replicate it, which I shared with fellow IFGian KSHITIJ. As luck would have it, he was gracious enough to provide me with a couple of blanks. This was almost 3 months ago and since then, a lot of elbow grease, time, patience & perseverance went into creating a replica, which turned out to be ’rubbing shoulders’ with the original one!

GETTING THE PROFILE
This was a challenge, especially to get an even & precise slope to the blade. Using an angle grinder successively with 60, 80 & 120 grit discs, I managed a near perfect contour. However for the final finish, I had to resort to a DREMEL mounted with 120 grit sleeves running at 15,000 rpm. The final polishing was done with a felt buffing disc, using moistened ‘Talcum Powder’ as the polishing compound. This was an ‘out of box idea’ as talc is a micro-fined powder, made out of soap stone that worked well without leaving any scratch marks on the blade!

HANDLE
As this required a lathe, I had to resort to the mercy of a friendly neighborhood machinist, who fortunately turned out an excellent job as per my design & instructions. In fact I slightly altered the profile to give it a ‘heft’ & ‘ergonomics’. The material used is Jindal high grade aluminum.

FINGER GUARD
2.5mm brass strips served the purpose well which were cut to shape, contoured, drilled & notched to accommodate the rat tail tang.

FINAL ASSEMBLY
The handles were anodized jet black (an alternate was to powder coat, but then it’s unlikely to withstand any scuffing / scratching during handling). With all the parts ready I used M-Seal in putting together…
My First DIY FS Knife!!!

• Blade: Carbon steel 75CR1
• Handle: Jindal Hi-impact Aluminum / Black anodized
• Finger guard: Brass
• Overall length: 11”
• Blade length: 6.5”

# A comparison - Left is the Original & Right is my humble effort!
Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: My New DIY "FS" Knife"

Post by chicky » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:30 pm

That's a beaut ...quite a hobby you have and of course the skill to go with it.
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:40 pm

Having had the opportunity to handle this beauty, all I can say is....... those two old guys Fairbairn and Sykes will be throwing a party in Valhalla today, they have finally got a worthy successor!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Brilliantly done brihaji! Everything from the surface finish of the blade to the machining of the handle and fitting of all the components look to be perfectly executed.
To be honest, since I gave the blanks about 3 months back and never heard any thing about it there after, i assumed you had forgotten about this project. I couldn't have been more wrong :P
I can imagine that getting the bevels symmetrical on either side while hand grinding it must have been an extremely difficult task.
The groove on the brass finger guard is a nice detail to make the blade sit flush. Super!
In the comparison picture next to the original, your DIY looks more beautiful to my eyes :cheers:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Chicky / Essdee / Kshitij,
Thank you guys for your words of appreciation!
Frankly I was a bit skeptical when I undertook this project, but somehow I took on this challenge as this 'Knife' was perhaps the only design that was yet to capture, the interest & imagination of DIY enthusiasts!!!
I am indebted to especially IFGians Pratik, AD, Essdee, Kshitij, Slingshot & Moin for inspiring me to attempt this task!
Briha

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Briha ji,

I have a proper workshop with a lot of tools and equipment in my back yard. But I could never learn the art of using the hand grinder properly.
You have created a master piece.
My next project is to visit Mumbai and learn the art from you.

Atul

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:31 am

Brihaji, very impressive.
A very well done rendition of a classic blade.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:13 am

That is indeed a beautiful reproduction of the legendary British Commando Dagger brihacharan-Ji! Tons of patience and skill have gone into your creation! (y) :clap:

Check this site out The Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knives
This site is dedicated to exploring the history of the iconic Fairbairn~Sykes Fighting Knife (commonly known as the British Commando knife), the many variants of that weapon, and the brave men and women who trained with it, carried it, and whose valor made it famous.
A Couple of Nice India-made Daggers Below: Thanks to the sale of some knives on my sales page we have finally put together enough money to pay for these two Indian made knives. A couple new additions to our collection. Top is an "I" third pattern and bottom is a rare Indian-made second pattern knife.

To my mind, FS stands for many things that are attributes of this gorgeous blade, amongst which a few are: Fighting Steel, Fairly Simple, Ferociously Sharp, Flash Stealth, Fine Steel...I am sure our knife lovers will come up with more such Fun FS's :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

StormTruppen
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by StormTruppen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Fight's Sake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:09 pm

8-) that's a true beauty,both original and the replica..
Beautiful work....

Sent from my E6553

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 pm

8-) that's a true beauty,both original and the replica..
Beautiful work....

Sent from my E6553
faster, faster, faster, faster .......
till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:04 pm

That is one nice workmanship with love written all over.
BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:00 pm

WOW!!
Briha sir can take us to school any day!
congrats for recreating this piece of history with such precision..!
Really like the tweaks on the guard and handle, they add on to the beauty..

BTW: If I am not wrong, its the Mark-III pattern of FS knives issued to the brit army?
"...there is no spoon..."!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:59 pm

astronomy.domaine wrote:WOW!!
Briha sir can take us to school any day!
congrats for recreating this piece of history with such precision..!
Really like the tweaks on the guard and handle, they add on to the beauty..

BTW: If I am not wrong, its the Mark-III pattern of FS knives issued to the brit army?
Thanks AD for your appreciation!
Yes! You're right - its indeed the Mark III pattern!
Briha

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:17 pm

That's an excellent recreation of the original Brihaji :clap: :clap: :clap: