Y P Taonta Leuku & Puukko combo - a versatile outdoor tool.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Y P Taonta Leuku & Puukko combo - a versatile outdoor tool.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:06 am

A member who fancies himself to be a wit, suggested I change my forum name to Mack The Pen.

Being unable to find a song of that name and not having Old Man River's (Brihaji's) talent for penning poems and songs, I was in a quandry until help came from a most unexpected quarter - the Indian Postal Customs.

They have been warming this parcel under their collective backsides since the end of July and only released it yesterday.

On to the subject at hand....the Leuku (big knife) and Puukko (smaller knife) are contained within the same sheath, thus making it a compact and versatile tool for the outdoors.

Both knives are hand forged and you can read more about it at https://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/20 ... yp-taonta/
and http://yp-taonta.fi/

Some more information on Leukus at http://perkelesblog.blogspot.in/2012/02 ... nland.html

I will be slimming down the handle on my Leuku and adjusting the sheath accordingly. Both knives will have the original finish removed from their handles and will be given an oil finish and wax job. The sheath will be given a waterproofing treatment. I may also add a lanyard hole to the Leuku as it will be used around water bodies. Both knives need sharpening.

Some obligatory pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Y P Taonta Leuku & Puukko combo - a versatile outdoor tool.

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:36 am

One of the very few interesting knives that I have come across.

Atul

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:36 pm

Mack, good to see 'the knife' part alive and kicking :)
Beautiful knives, especially after seeing the way they have been made.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Glad you guys found it interesting.

Here's another link with good pics - https://messertalk.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... nta-leuku/

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:05 pm

Interesting knife Mack.
While not very pleasing to my eye, there must be quite a bit of utility to that knife shape. Scandinavians would not have kept using it for so long otherwise.
I know that the Mora knives are highly regarded and they have a similar blade shape. I have never had the opportunity to use one.
Please let us know how it works for you.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:25 am

Moras are highly regarded because they are good value for money. Aesthetically they are pants with their plastic fantastic handles and sheaths. I don't like the scandi grind for many purposes either. Having said that I have several but most of them have their edges and shoulders convexed. Get a few, they wont break the bank.

The Leukus handle is all wrong (too big) even for people with large hands because they are going to be wearing mittens or gloves when using this chopper in the winters.

Will revert back with my views after I have had the opportunity to try both blades over some time.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:29 am

mack your idioms and phrases are sharper than your knives...
thanks for sharing..
regards
dr.jk

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:40 am

Most moras arent a true scandi grind as they have a secondary micro bevel which can be seen at an angle in the light, atleast the ones i saw had them.

YP knives shared here or even the Mora may not be lookers like say a Bark River knife but they are beautiful in functional and utilitarian way :P
Last edited by kshitij on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:59 pm

kshitij wrote:Most moras arent a true scandi grind as they have a secondary micro bevel which can be seen at an angle in the light, atleast the ones i saw had them.
I must have had close to a score of them and each and everyone of them have had a zero scandi grind (no micro bevel) from the factory. Perhaps the ones you have seen belonged to someone who has added a micro bevel to his Moras. Or you are confusing the Mora with Fallknivens, that now come with a micro V bevel on the primary convex bevel. Peter H denies its presence but it's clearly visible.
YP knives shared here or even the Mora may not be lookers like say a Bark River knife but they beautiful in functional and utilitarian way.
True. The Leuku is to the Saami, what the Khukuri is to the Nepali.

Both knife types are available in working and presentation grades.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Few of his moras were new so no chance of a regrind. Maybe he was unlucky to get them.

Not confusing Moras and Fallkniven. One comes with convexed edges and laminated or powdered steel while the other comes with scandi grinds and more common place steels. But among the two, i would prefer the Moras.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:07 pm

kshitij wrote:But among the two, i would prefer the Moras.
Both of them have their uses. I still carry a F1 and WM1 as my primary knives when I am able to get outdoors. The Moras are a back-up.

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Mack and Brihaji, wonderful blades and poems, this blog belongs in a literary circle, not in a site where there is mud sticking to our boots....
I have a modified puukko given to me by a Finn officer when I was in the UN in 1990. It is engraved with my name, stainless so not a really working knife. Made by J. Martinni. I have a fillet knife by them too. All in Lonavala, will dig them out and take pics when I get there.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Lanceman,

I would not write them off as show pieces unless they were expressly made as such.

I am curious to see the modification made on your puukko.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 am

Nice blades, Mack!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:06 am

Or Mack the Mad Bawa? :D

When I went to school in Mumbai, we had quite a few Bawas in the school.
Many of them marched to the beat of a slightly different drummer and took pride in being called Mad Bawas. So this is not meant as a slur, rather a tip of the hat to his uniqueness, ingenuity, inventiveness and intelligence.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941