Design proposals for the IFG members knife.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Design proposals for the IFG members knife.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:29 pm

Following on from a discussion at http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=622 about IFG members designing and having a knife made for themselves, herewith the first design proposal.

Feel free to submit your sketches, ideas, etc. However, bear in mind that if the knife is to be made by a village knifesmith then it would be best to keep the design as simple as possible.

The above design shows a knife with the following features:

1) Blade material: Made from Maruti 800 leaf springs. 5 mm think. The tang has deliberately not been tapered to keep things simple.

2) Flat ground blade.

3) Seasoned hardwood scales. Liners could be added if required.

4) Brass rivet pins.

5) Lanyard hole - hollow brass tube.

6) Leather sheath.

Mark, I am looking forward to your inputs and advice on this subject.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Design proposals for the IFG members knife.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:59 pm

Or how about something like this...

The possibilities are endless, so get sketching.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:07 pm

This looks interesting!

Here are some thoughts about this neat project-

1) put me down for one of these! I think it would be great to have something forged by some village smith somewhere.

2) regarding design, I'm going to stay out of that one. I would rather it be designed by others, and from what I see it is going to look and work very nicely, if one of these designs are chosen.

3) What is the intended purpose for the knife? a 4" blade makes a nice knife to carry hunting, you can clean everything from birds to deer, and also make a sandwich. However, when designing a knife (like everything else) decide what you want to use it for first, instead of making a cool knife then figuring out what to do with it. If you want to clean fish with it, you might want a slimmer profile however.

4) 5mm is a bit on the hefty side unless you want to fight bears with it. 5/32" (3.9mm) is a nice thickness for this size knife, and it will cut things easier. Thicker blades drag too much when cutting though thick stuff, whether a loaf of bread or butchering animals.

5) Flat ground would be a fine grind for a knife of this proportion.

Anyway, looks good so far!

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:50 pm

put me down for one of these! I think it would be great to have something forged by some village smith somewhere.
That went without saying. You and Grumpy are already on the list. :mrgreen:
regarding design, I'm going to stay out of that one. I would rather it be designed by others, and from what I see it is going to look and work very nicely, if one of these designs are chosen.
No, no, no, noooo..... These are just proposals. I would like to see other ideas as well. Go on, Mark, be a sport and put pencil to paper.
What is the intended purpose for the knife?
General purpose camp / outdoor knife. We cannot hunt and the majority do not fish. Let's say a general purpose wilderness knife, bearing in mind that carrying a blade longer than 6" is verbotten though I haven't heard of anyone getting into trouble for doing so. What I mean is, whilst no one will bother about longer blades in the outdoors, some of our members may be tempted to wear one in the city....
5mm is a bit on the hefty side unless you want to fight bears with it. 5/32" (3.9mm) is a nice thickness for this size knife, and it will cut things easier. Thicker blades drag too much when cutting though thick stuff, whether a loaf of bread or butchering animals.
All good points. The reasons for a 5mm thickness is because I like a bit of heft in my knives and that it is a little stronger when it comes to battoning and some light duty prying. I am absolutely fine with anything in the 4 to 5 mm thickness range.
Flat ground would be a fine grind for a knife of this proportion.
I chose a flat grind because it cuts better and to compensate for the blade thickness. However, all of the above considered, would you recommend an alternative. Come on, let's have a sketch. :wink:

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:43 pm

Very Nice Mack The Knife,

i would like to get my paws on one and give it a purpose. I am a total idiot when it comes to sharp edged weapons and have always been terrified of them but if if you want ideas for practise nunchakus... ;-).

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife Bana";p="5962 wrote: Or how about something like this...

The possibilities are endless, so get sketching.

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:00 pm

I am a total idiot when it comes to sharp edged weapons...
Who the dickens is talking about weapons? Don't you chaps ever learn? :roll:

As for the knife, if there is no response in terms of drawings, discussions, etc. there wont be any knife. It's either a combined effort or nothing.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:02 pm

Hey Mack The Knife,

Great design, may I add just a point, could there be a possibility of adding a few checkring (knurls) on the top of the blade just before the handle, so that you can some grip for your thumb, I am sure you would understand what I mean.

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:11 pm

Very shades of a drop point Loveless Mack The Knife,
Blade at 5 mm and tang thinned down to 3.9mm would allow a fairly ok knife.There's a guy doing Laser engraving here for those interested in getting the 'Commemorative' etc on it...I have wierdo design, but its not 6" and definitely -'This is a knoife mate' class of blade, still want it?5mm blade thickness will be ideal for it.
After 19th Nov.
Ciao
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:17 pm

Hi Ranjeet,

It's a possibility, just not sure if they compliment such a design. Will mull it over.

BTW, these serrations are notorious for gathering muck and considering the steel that would be used, if those serrations aren't kept clean and oiled you are going to have to contend with rust.

Now, where is your design? Get doodling! :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:28 pm

I have wierdo design, but its not 6" and definitely -'This is a knoife mate' class of blade, still want it?
I am not keen on another big blade but let the members decide what sort of knife they would like. Look forward to seeing the sketch.

Mack The Knife

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:44 pm

Well Mack The Knife, don't like to be called "Very shades of a drop point Loveless Ranjeet" by eljefe, :mrgreen:

Hence the designs...well one thing for sure..these drawings tell me that I took a wise decision not to become an architect..

These are more of you know the "Rambo" knives, actually I have one..

And of course inspired (copied) from one of the fishing knives I saw in American enclyopedia when I was kid..I mean the gut hook that was there on those knives..

I totally understand that these designs are the least practical..and what Mack The Knife has designed makes the most sense...

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:27 pm

Ranjeet,

Believe me when I say I cannot draw to save my life. That's pretty good doodling - you have the proportions right.

I have ordered a large bowie via Jonah, so another bowie isn't exactly what I am after. However, I'll be a sport and go with the boards decision. :wink:

Is that supposed to be a gut hook near the hilt? Ask one of your German hunting friends to demonstrate how a gut hook is used.

Thanks for the sketches but now design something that does not need a hilt, pommel, etc. - keep it as simple for the village smith. Imagine you had to make a good working knife with the least amount of work.

Mack The Knife

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:29 pm

Mack The Knife,

Can a stopper be added at the intersection of the metal and wood ? To prevent slipping of the palm ( if exerted) and the palm coming into contact with the blade ?

Is the knife designed by you a spring knife or a folding one ?
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:28 am

Hi Sujay,

I have deliberately not provided for a hilt, better known as a cross guard because these are provided for by either making a seperate piece that is slipped on from the tang end before the scales are fixed or as an integral monolithic part of the knife (such a knife is known as an integral. Either way it will mean extra work for the smith - something that I would like to avoid.

You raise a very good point though. Such a knife will need a little more care when in use. I will draw another sketch later this week.

We are only discussing fixed blade knives. Folders are a little more complex, especially if they are to have a lock for the blade.

Mack The Knife

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:36 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife , for telling about the hilt / cross guard. Must admit I had some different ideas.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.