0.22 v/s 0.38

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

0.22 v/s 0.38

Post by diskaon » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:11 pm

A few days back I got the chance to see some old ammo belonging to one of my friend's father.

First i saw the 0.30 carbine bullets.. they were sleek and long..

then i saw the 0.38. it was a little bigger..

then when i picked up a small box full of 0.22s i realised the might of the 0.38.. it was an eye opener. the 0.22s looked like tadpoles... hehehe sorry for the bad humour.

i was just imagining what damage can be done by a 0.38....... I now aspire for a PB 0.38 (high hopes some might say) even though i have no intentions to shoot at anyone with a 0.38..
klick klack..... diskaon

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 0.22 v/s 0.38

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:28 pm

diskaon";p="23675 wrote:A few days back I got the chance to see some old ammo belonging to one of my friend's father.

First i saw the 0.30 carbine bullets.. they were sleek and long..

then i saw the 0.38. it was a little bigger..

then when i picked up a small box full of 0.22s i realised the might of the 0.38.. it was an eye opener. the 0.22s looked like tadpoles... hehehe sorry for the bad humour.

i was just imagining what damage can be done by a 0.38....... I now aspire for a PB 0.38 (high hopes some might say) even though i have no intentions to shoot at anyone with a 0.38..
Hi Diskaon,

Just a bit of gob from my end ... ammo size isn't always the best gauge of its effectiveness. Ballistics and terminal ballistics are a pretty complex and confusing load of theory, counter theory practical use and plain fact... Many factors affect the performance of ammo.... barrel length, rifling type, chamber obturation, bullet weight, type, propellant etc... man, I'm touching only the tip of the iceberg and there is more that I don't know than what I know :)

Of the three cartridges you mention, .30Carbine would be the most 'powerful', but the relative cross section of the cartridge is smallish and makes it a good penetrator(VERY Relatively speaking) but a poor 'stopper'- That is not to say they are mosquito rounds... they definitely will do the job without question! and very effectively at that.

.38 by all logic and appearance would be the best of the three in terms of 'stopping power'... but remember the .38 range of rounds is diverse and a confusing number of unrelated but similarly named cartridges are in use, .380Webley, .38Special, .380ACP, .38super, .38Long Colt, .38Colt New Police, .38 Short Colt... to name a few! The first three are what you would find in reasonable use in India- .380Webley is made by KF and I suppose thats what you are referring to... to be honest its a pretty lame round with somewhat poor ballistic performance. Ruger Service Six, Titan Tiger and Llama revolvers in current Police Service are specifically chambered for this tepid round. The .38Special is a pretty potent round and could be an ideal self-defense solution in countries where it is available and allowed for civilian use. Unfortunately since its a service round here(Its used in the snub nosed S&W and Colt Cobra revolvers-police issue)... you'll probably not be able to own a firearm in that bore as would most of our fellow countrymen.

.22LR is the smallest of the three and may appear pipsqueak... but there such a vast array of souped up .22 cartridges available(Elsewhere...BTW!)... though I'm not entirely sure, there could be .22 shots that exceed velocities of the bigger rounds especially when they are fired from proper barrels and actions. They do have usually have a poor 'stopping' zing and may be good penetrators. If you use hollow point rounds, you could get a relative boost in the terminal oomph'...

Sorry If I muddled up your choice...
The Indian gun owner is typically in a no win rut.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:52 am

diskaon

.22 rifle is a great gun to have, very cost effective and great plincking gun. Practice makes one perfect and .22 is quite lethal if its in experienced hands.

Again which bore , gun, all depends on choices available and other known external factors. Carbine M 1 in . 30 is also one of my favorite guns. But both .30 and .38 are prohibted bores so to be pragmatic .22 is best choice.

Mehul or Grumpy once posted about some famous Gun writer who said if there was one gun he had to have it would be a .22.

Not to say its a great starter gun and I am biased towards this rimfire. I learned shooting with good old BSA .22 with tubular magazine..

Cheers and dreams do come true mate

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:33 am

Good exposition guys-Dont lose heart Diskaon-my fav is also a PB- a 45ACP!! and I dream on...Maybe sometime a Les Bauer HRT model??
Yup, 30 Carbine for the penetration and 38 (as in special) for the swatting power.
FYI 30 carbine is also available in handguns...
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:15 am

Hi
eljefe i think u can buy a 45 ( a USGI may be if not HRT) as i have seen on the forum.
diskaon as very well explained by cottage cheese, all three cartridge have merits and obviously problems of their own. i dont have any first hand experience about 30 carbine and as i inherited a 38 special colt revolver( recently posted photos) it is very good cartridge i can say whole heartdly. as u can have a very verstile gun you can fire 38 short, 38 special 38 special +p and logiclay 357 magnum(if u have a 357 revolver otherwise 28 special +p is the end of ladder). depending upon the selection of load it can be very soft gun to hard hitting (on both sides ) gun
.22 is the most verstile cartridge which is very rarely given the justice it needed. some people scale it way low and some can swear of it. personally i think its the finest all around cartridge. best starting gun as learners can see the good side of shooting without excessice exposure to recoil and noise. .22 can be have in almost all action type on the planet earth, from single shots to drum magazines, revolvers, automatics. u name it u got it. my choice is .22 WMR a real gem in its place. if u have the option get it. otherwise .22 lr is very good and first choice for a beginner.
thanks this is waht they say my 2 cents , let the other knowlegable person speak regarding this.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:52 pm

eljefe";p="23707 wrote:Good exposition guys-Dont lose heart Diskaon-my fav is also a PB- a 45ACP!! and I dream on...Maybe sometime a Les Bauer HRT model??
Yup, 30 Carbine for the penetration and 38 (as in special) for the swatting power.
FYI 30 carbine is also available in handguns...
Best
Axx
Hi Eljefe,

Handguns in .30 carbine? Thats new to me! Upto now I always thought the marriage of the .30US carbine shot and a hand gun was doomed.... for some unknown reason.

Any specific make or model?

Also reflecting your dream...me want .45 too! if not, pleeeeeeeeeeease allow me to import an H&K P7K3 in .32....

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:56 pm

Ruger, Century Arms and Thomson Center contender come to mind CC
Looks good, the new look cheese ;)
Is your avatar a SIG?

PS: wikipedia-

...Today the .30 Carbine cartridge is used by civilians who have an M1 Carbine or other firearm chambered for that cartridge. It is considered a small-game cartridge, of marginal power for deer-size game. A number of handguns are chambered for .30 Carbine ammunition, such as the AMT Automag III pistol and the Ruger Blackhawk revolver...
Last edited by eljefe on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:05 pm

eljefe";p="23721 wrote:Ruger, Century Arms and Thomson Center contender come to mind CC
Looks good, the new look cheese ;)
Is your avatar a SIG?
Ji saar!... Abhijeet was kind enough to put the missing 'e' in cheese.... and yes thats an SIG. I liked it (The picture I mean)because of the rose wood grips... Looks nice for a change after an over dose of polymers :)

Accha... how could I have missed Thomson Center...The other's I had no idea. Thanks!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:13 pm

Did'nt you ask him-who moved my cheese? ;)

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi
there are ruger blackhawk available in 30 carbine, but u need some very solid hearing protection for firing a rifle round in small pacakge
here is one and that is not mine

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:41 pm

mashh1";p="23726 wrote:Hi
there are ruger blackhawk available in 30 carbine, but u need some very solid hearing protection for firing a rifle round in small pacakge
here is one and that is not mine
That Ruger looks real pretty mashh.

BTW you really got an enviable collection there man. Man you're lucky!

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:06 pm

cottage cheese that ruger is not mine. i was just reffering that there are handguns availble in 30 carbine. i have wrote but u might not have seen. hope it will relieve some envy.
thanks
mashh

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:21 pm

mashh1";p="23746 wrote:cottage cheese that ruger is not mine. i was just reffering that there are handguns availble in 30 carbine. i have wrote but u might not have seen. hope it will relieve some envy.
thanks
mashh
Hi Mashh... ya I got that one. Was just complementing you on your other guns on other threads which don't relieve the envy one little bit! :)

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:29 am

Axx

Who moved my cheese LOL ...nice one and Yes that book is nice preppy story to buck some one

Cheers

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:56 pm

eljefe";p="23723 wrote:Did'nt you ask him-who moved my cheese? ;)
:) read that one long time ago... forgot about it and I was wondering what you were on about :)