pellets for. 22

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: pellets for. 22

Post by bennedose » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:53 pm

uday14 wrote:Hi everyone. I own a precihole Scorpios .22 AR. Have been using precipell pellets. Any suggestions on other brands making better pellets than Precipell? Have noticed their product quality has not been consistent.
Anybody tried the JSB STRATON JUMBO MONSTER (25.39 granis)? pls share your reviews if yes.
Thanks
I have been happy with the performance of Diana Shot flat heads as an alternative to Precipell. I generally order them online from www.kovibazaar.com

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ultimate Sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ultimate Sniper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:23 pm

AnandNair wrote:Precipells are too large for my scorpius. the head hardly fits and i have to force each round into the chamber. I have stopped using them.
Currently using RWS superdomes. Good quality, Fits perfectly, and groups well.
So much of inconsistency in pellet size..?
The Precipell pellets I got (from Kovibazaar.com) are very loose on the breech of my Scorpius and loose on Anand's :shock:, Its so very bad... Also had issues with a lot of deformed pellets.

@Bennedose - I have purchased the Diana Shot Flat heads and dome heads, Unfortunately the flat heads are still loose on my AR breech. :cry:
Am yet to try the dome head pellets. If this also doesnt fit well, will try some imported ones...

-Arvind S.

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:40 pm

Ultimate Sniper wrote:
uday14 wrote:Hi everyone. I own a precihole Scorpios .22 AR. Have been using precipell pellets. Any suggestions on other brands making better pellets than Precipell? Have noticed their product quality has not been consistent.
Anybody tried the JSB STRATON JUMBO MONSTER (25.39 granis)? pls share your reviews if yes.
Thanks
@uday14 - I completely agree with your observation, I personally have been through this situation and I still am in the same situation.
Off late there has been issues with the Precipell pellets, both in dimensions and the finish (read defective - dented, inconsistent metal distribution at skirt parts), I have heard from multiple people now and even the Precihole team accepted this fact.
But there seems to be a lot of bias about the Precipell team here and people doesnt accept the facts and blindly defends and justifies them for no use.
If they were good in old days and if they are not keeping it up, they needs to be criticized; I do not understand the point in justifying them saying they were good and so will be good...
I have not really tried too many options of .22 pellets (new to the .22 world), but I agree with Brihaji, stick to less than 19gr pellets for good performance in Scorpius.
If you are planning for 30 to 50 feet distance shootings, you might not notice a big difference, for longer range shots you will find a major dip in the pellet trajectory for heavier pellets.
The heavier ones are made specifically for higher energy delivery at target (for hunting, etc) and that can be made available only by powerful rifles, like Magnum Springers or PCPs; with them you will get a flatter trajectory in comparison with the less powerful ones.
For casual plinking I would suggest to stick to low cost, economical pellets, no point in spending on expensive ones.
However, if you dont mind spending, go ahead and get the premium ones, you wont regret that.
Try Kovibazaar.com for variety of pellets, I have bought many pellets from them now and they are good.

-Arvind S.

Ultimate Sniper wrote:
AnandNair wrote:Precipells are too large for my scorpius. the head hardly fits and i have to force each round into the chamber. I have stopped using them.
Currently using RWS superdomes. Good quality, Fits perfectly, and groups well.
So much of inconsistency in pellet size..?
The Precipell pellets I got (from Kovibazaar.com) are very loose on the breech of my Scorpius and loose on Anand's :shock:, Its so very bad... Also had issues with a lot of deformed pellets.

@Bennedose - I have purchased the Diana Shot Flat heads and dome heads, Unfortunately the flat heads are still loose on my AR breech. :cry:
Am yet to try the dome head pellets
. If this also doesnt fit well, will try some imported ones...

-Arvind S.
maybe some contradictions needs explaination here.

Ultimate Sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ultimate Sniper » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:29 pm

@ganeshn - Really..? Is there a contradiction..?
Would request you to read both the posts carefully, yet again...
If you notice, in the first thread that you had quoted above, I was giving a suggestion and my good buying experience with the kovibazaar.com - Note that I wasnt reviewing any pellets there.
In the later one, I was referring to the specific pellet 'Diana Shot Flat Head', which happens to be loose on my AR (no complaints so far on the finish of the pellets) and not criticizing Kovibazaar.com for that.
Having said that, I would request you to clarify to me, precisely where you found the contradiction, I think it was pretty obvious here.

-Arvind S.

shirodkar4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shirodkar4 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:04 am

I have recently purchased GAMO TS-22(.22 Caliber) pellets of 22 grains for my nX100 Scorpious. I have found these pellets do no fit easily in the breach. The head itself does not easily enter the breach and I have to stuff it in forcibly. Will firing the scorpious with these 22 grain pellets have any adverse effects on the Barrel, the rifling inside the barrel or the piston seal? Are there any chances of these pellets getting stuck in the barrel?I plan to finish this stock of 200 pellets and never buy these again. Or should i discard them completely?

-SS

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:02 am

shirodkar4 wrote:I have recently purchased GAMO TS-22(.22 Caliber) pellets of 22 grains for my nX100 Scorpious. I have found these pellets do no fit easily in the breach. The head itself does not easily enter the breach and I have to stuff it in forcibly. Will firing the scorpious with these 22 grain pellets have any adverse effects on the Barrel, the rifling inside the barrel or the piston seal? Are there any chances of these pellets getting stuck in the barrel?I plan to finish this stock of 200 pellets and never buy these again. Or should i discard them completely?

-SS
I suspect that long as you can shove them in using only your fingers, they will shoot though probably not with the best "target" accuracy over 10 meters. Is there any chance you can return them for a different tin?

I have a pair of 20 caliber (5mm) air rifles and 20 cal pellets are difficult to find, so I made a swage in a piece of steel plate that I can push 22 cal pellets through and the come out at 20, it works very nicely though I have to press them through using leverage. You could make one with a 5.5mm drill bit but for just one tin I probably would not, and just use the pellets for plinking.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Ultimate Sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ultimate Sniper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:11 pm

shirodkar4 wrote:I have recently purchased GAMO TS-22(.22 Caliber) pellets of 22 grains for my nX100 Scorpious. I have found these pellets do no fit easily in the breach. The head itself does not easily enter the breach and I have to stuff it in forcibly. Will firing the scorpious with these 22 grain pellets have any adverse effects on the Barrel, the rifling inside the barrel or the piston seal? Are there any chances of these pellets getting stuck in the barrel?I plan to finish this stock of 200 pellets and never buy these again. Or should i discard them completely?

-SS
@SS - I think its better not to forcibly use such tight pellets on the rifle, as it might damage the rifling and the pellet might get jammed inside the barrel, worst case - really not worth the try.
Also as Mark said, it will affect the accuracy on using tight pellets.
You have spent over 12K on the AR and its not worth risking it for using up (not wasting) the Rs.800 pellets.
Check with your friends who has other brand .22 rifles which might easily consume these oversized (if at all) pellets.

Am facing the just opposite situation of yours, where I find many .22 pellets loose on my Scorpius... :roll:
Can you let me know how is the fitting for the Precipell and DianaShot pellets on your rifle?

-Arvind S.

shirodkar4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shirodkar4 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:33 am

I think I will give these Gamo TS-22 pellets a pass and simply discard them as the primary reason i bought them is for long distance shooting over 50 mts. Does not make sense to use these since accuracy is going to be an issue over longer distance as suggested by Mark.

@ Arvind - I have not used precipell pellets yet, I have shot MS Wadcutters, MS Pointed Head, GSmith High Force, GSmith High Impact and very recently dainashot flat heads.
The GSmith pellets fit perfectly in the breach, The Dianashot flatheads are a tad loose but do not drop out of the barrel. With the MS Wadcutters I found an issue with the consistency as some pellets would drop out of the barrel on loading.

I took a total of 105 shots today with a carton of beer bottles and some beer bottles at 65 mts. I took 55 shots with the GSmith High Impact and 50 with Dianashot Flat heads. The Drop of the GSmith pellets was a major issue at 65 mts with too much of a holdover that at times i had to aim outside the field of vision of my scope to hit the target. This was not the case with the Dianashot flat head as the only thing I had to worry was the wind as a slight breeze was throwing the pellets off target. I have shot a video of my shooting today which i will post soon.

Regards,
SS