.32 S&W KF vs Imported ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:14 pm

Thank you Gentlemen,

I have decided not to use the .32 S&W long KF ammo. I already had a bad "KF experience" with the .22 ammo.

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: .32 S&W . KF vs Imported ammo

Post by penpusher » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:52 pm

For people who are hooked on to the idea that trashy imported ammo. is the way to go

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26_2.htm
Last edited by penpusher on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:10 pm

i totally agree with you penpusher.i have seen dealers talk bad about KF ammo performance and sell imported stuff for Rs 200 :twisted: one dealer even went to the extent of saying that a .32 KF bullet travels only 10-15feet and falls down :?

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:27 am

penpusher,

I have been through this link before also, the author is just comparing the penetration power of the different calibers of small handguns . The page previous to the link that you have given is a report of a .32 acp shot from a Keltec P-32 using a round of Gold Dot 60 gr. GDHP. It penetrated 4 jugs, equal to 12 inches of ballistic gelatin and did not expand at all.

So this particular link is about the war of different calibers and ballistics and NOT imported VS KF ammo.

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:17 am

Doc,

The squib was a Magtech round.Magtech and S&B are cheap ammunition brands.Their performance is not that different from KF ammo.People do not bother to ensure that the ammo that they use if fresh.Old KF ammo is to be avoided.I have experienced case ruptures with old ammo. including old Kynoch ammunition.Duds are generally the result of primer failure.

Olly's problem with ruptured cases in his IOF revolver could very well be the result of an out of spec chamber.You say that KF ammo ruptured but Magtech/S&B did not.Check out the case wall thickness of KF and Magtech/S&B ammo.Perhaps the brass used by KF is thinner than Magtech.Perhaps the Magtech ammo is loaded to a lower velocity than KF ammo.Perhaps the brass used by KF is softer than Magtech/S&B.Any of these coupled with an out of spec chamber would have lead to case ruptures.I have never experienced case ruptures when firing IOF revolvers with KF ammo and I have fired more than one.Off course the ammo was always fresh and not 10 year old ammo lying around the house.

People say that KF 12 ga paper shells swell.Most of them store ammo in their cupboards along with their clothes.I store my ammo with silica gel and never had this problem.My ammo does not last nearly long enough for it to swell.

The problem that you experience with your IOF .22 not chambering KF ammo. is not uncommon.Some rifles will chamber KF ammo and some will not.The problem could be with the chamber(highly unlikely) or with head spacing.Not with the ammo.Imported ammo with thinner rims would chamber if the head space is less but the same rifle will not chamber KF ammo with thicker rims.Check the head space of your rifle.You need a feeler gauge for that.A fraction of a mm makes a huge difference.The .22lr rifle head spaces on the rim.KF .22LR is the worst of the KF made ammo's.Similar is their 9mm and .38 revolver ammo,though slightly better.However,even very old 7.62 ammo works very well.

KF ammo does foul up a firearm.Be disciplined,clean it well and you should have no problem.Plus even though it is expensive,it is still cheaper than the imported ammo.

So I would suggest KF 12 ga,.32 S&W Long,.32ACP and imported .22lr,12ga (for skeet/trap).

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:12 am

You seem to be a strong advocate for KF ammo.

A shell rupture could be due to an out of specs chamber. But logically, the same chamber should rupture / disfigure all the shells loaded into it. This is not happening. So it is faulty ammo only due to any of the variety of reasons you have mentioned.

KF fires all over the place giving you variations of nearly 12-14 inches from the target. While Magtech on double action, single hand, rapid fire, gives an accuracy of just 4-5 inches on the same day, same time, same gun with no jamming ! Pray explain...

I leave to your imagination what would be your score during a competition using KF ammo.... 60 shots.

My only praise for KF is that even 25 yr old rounds DO fire !! I haven't had a single KF dud round till date.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:32 pm

penpusher";p="61733 wrote: The squib was a Magtech round.Magtech and S&B are cheap ammunition brands.
Your point taken well penpusher, can you please list the imported ammo brands which are of good quality ? I am asking this because usually when one goes to buy imported ammo, the dealers hand out any brand calling it imported and the customer spends a hefty amount without knowing /bothering whether it is kynoch or S&B or magtech or what.

My IOF .22 chambers all the KF .22lr ammo that I have put in it so far. My problem was that some rounds didn't fire and some fired a fraction late after being struck by the firing pin. I later discovered that that ammo stock was old . :oops:

I am very happy with KF 12ga ammo though.

best,

RP.

penpusher

Re: .32 S&W KF vs Imported ammo

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Olly,

If KF .32S&W Long ammo was prone to case splitting would not some have split in my case as well?Have you got your revolver cylinder checked by a competent gunsmith.

Owned the IOF .32 revolver for some years ,some time back.No case splits then.Fired a friends just recently,no case splits now.

Rs 40/- per cartridge for KF ammo is expensive.Rs 200-250/- per cartridge for S&B or Magtech is ......

BTW,I practice at only 15-20 ft with the IOF .32 pistol that I have at present and as long as I can hit a Bisleri bottle at that range,I am happy.Does make for better than the 4-5" accuracy that you are getting with the imported stuff.

No one if going to use IOF .32 revolver/pistol and ammo for competition.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:35 am

Aha... its penpusher then...

Yes, and the first line he spoke was - Fire 20 rounds of Magtech and then come back to me if you have ANY problem... Well, there WAS NO problem with the Magtechs...

Well we've discussed this before... a matter of individual preferences / experience then... ! OR maybe they (KF) bless the lots sent to Punjab with holy water... ?? :)

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:50 am

Olly";p="61899 wrote: Yes, and the first line he spoke was - Fire 20 rounds of Magtech and then come back to me if you have ANY problem... Well, there WAS NO problem with the Magtechs...
I have gone through the entire thread but have not found this posted by me anywhere :?

Read what Tworivers has to say,again.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:26 am

Doc,

Indian importers(gun dealers) of ammo only get S&B and Magtech as they get it dirt cheap and then are able to sell it at a hefty profit.Something like 5-20 times it's actual cost to other dealers.That is a 500 to 2000% profit :evil: :x The dealers then add their own healthy profit and sell the ammo to people like you and me.

S&B and Magtech are not actually rubbish.They are at best cheap ammo that most shooters abroad use for target practice. They are not premier ammunition brands that the dealers would have you believe.

Found some links may that interest you

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... -2329.html

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/arc ... 60753.html

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=90084

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob108.html

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:33 am

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:54 pm

By he I mean Shamshuddin Gun House (in context of showing the rev to a good gunsmith)...
penpusher";p="61902 wrote: I have gone through the entire thread but have not found this posted by me anywhere :?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:36 pm

How did HE check your firearm?

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:08 am

HE knew the obvious and hence felt no need to check the firearm. In fact, I went thru the chambers with a magnifier myself to detect any irregularity...