.32 S&W KF vs Imported ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
penpusher

Re: .32 S&W KF vs Imported ammo

Post by penpusher » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Olly";p="61979 wrote: HE knew the obvious and hence felt no need to check the firearm. In fact, I went thru the chambers with a magnifier myself to detect any irregularity...
A magnifying glass to check the chamber dia :roll: Snake oil for firearms next :?:

For Advertising mail webmaster
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:31 pm

penpusher";p="61991 wrote: :roll: Snake oil for firearms next :?:
ROTFL
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Olly,

Seriously,you need to get to get the chambers measured.Get hold of some one with a bore gauge to do it.Losing an eye or injuring a bystander is certainly something that should be high on the list of any person.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:39 pm

Olly";p="61979 wrote: HE knew the obvious and hence felt no need to check the firearm. In fact, I went thru the chambers with a magnifier myself to detect any irregularity...
It's not the chambers he is talking about,but the alignment of the cylinder,each time you pull the trigger.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Sanjay,

I was pointing towards a chmaber or some of the chambers of the IOF revolver being over size/over bored.

It may be that the Magtech ammo is better constructed than the KF ammo and so is able to handle the pressure without significant swelling or splitting despite the chamber being over bored.If this is indeed the case,then all that it would take is for one cartridge case to be faulty weaker than the rest,and there would be a repeat of what had happened with the KF ammo.

Untill the chambers of the IOF revolver are measured and this discounted,I would be reluctant to fire the revolver with any sort of ammo. Magtech or otherwise.

PS-The cylinders alignment with the chamber is something that should be checked out in all IOF revolvers.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:17 pm

penpusher wrt Olly's revolver,if it's the chambers you were refering to,then they seem ok,it was the ammo he was firing perhaps from a particular lot that led to the clynder jamming and the revolver not opening, cause when he fired Magtech's there was no issue at all.
Even the cyl alingment was good because each round fired had a dead center strike.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:19 pm

penpusher";p="61991 wrote:
Olly";p="61979 wrote: In fact, I went thru the chambers with a magnifier myself to detect any irregularity...
A magnifying glass to check the chamber dia :roll: Snake oil for firearms next :?:
Penpusher, even I had a hearty laugh after reading your post. You didn't read my post carefully. Nowhere have I mentioned that I was checking the dia of the cylinders with the magnifier.... If you thought that was possible do let me know too... !
In fact, I was looking for cracks / irregularity in the cylinder walls. For the rest, Sanjay has aptly described the issue...

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Olly,

Your gun,your hands and eyes,your call.

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 am

Purchased some S& B .32 pistol ( 7.65 Browning ) 73 grain FMJ ammo from Rajput Arms, Aligarh - harris's shop last week at Rs. 150 each.

Will shoot a few of them to see how they perform Vs. the IOF .32 ammo.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Just out of curiosity, weighed KF and Magtech .32 S&W Long cartridges to find reasons to bash the KF ammo, much to dear penpusher's disgust !! :lol:

The results :
KF - 10.260 gms
Magtech - 9.600 gms

Now,,, what should one infer from this difference... the brass case of KF is heavier ? If so, why does the case burst ?
The Magtech has less powder / lead capping ? Then why is it so bloody accurate ?

I'm feeling sleepy now... can't guess anything more.. :mrgreen:

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:25 pm

Dear Olly,

Bullet weight may also vary.Do the cases rupture in only specific chambers or at random? Using a marker,number your chambers and fire them to see if the problem is confined to a specific chamber/s.

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:27 pm

I've only started shooting the .32 S&W recently and my experience hasn't been good with KF ammo.
4 of us got .32 revos around the same time. I had 2 duds out of 80 odd, one guy had 2 duds out of 6, one guy 4 or 5 duds out of 6.

It seems here we get 2 kinds of KF ammo, one has the brass colour on the primer end and the other has a silverish colour.

Also out of 100 odd shots we all fired we noticed later one case had ruptured.

Of course, none of us use KF ammo for carry.

AMK

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:37 pm

brass colour on the primer
Old ammo.
silverish colour
New ammo.

Not a very good idea mixing the two.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:54 pm

:agree:

100%. As I too have used very old KF ammo which had brass primers. Fortunately all of those did give a bang !

KF ammo on concealed carry = DISASTER :wink:

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Yesterday we (me and other .32 owning friends) got quite a bit of KF .32 S&W ammo. Went to our farm to try them and they were terrible to say the least. We tried around 10 carts and 4 I think caused the bullet to get stuck at the breech end of the barrel, maybe another 4 were complete duds and only a couple fired.

One of the reasons I got a .32 was for (relatively) cheaper ammo, if I have to spend 250 bucks a pop on imported ammo I'd rather just shoot my bigger gun. The situation here is pathetic, the dealers won't even guarantee to take back dud, dangerous KF ammo so we lose our money and also the entry on our licenses.

Is the quality of .KF 32 ACP any better? What about the KF .22LR ammo?

AMK