Professional opinion on a gun's condition

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
seasoned
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Professional opinion on a gun's condition

Post by seasoned » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:43 pm

I was implicated in a police case long ago and my revolver was taken into police custody as case property. As usual, the case took its time and when I was acquitted, the licensing branch took their time to convey their negative decision on renewal of my license. The appellate authority has allowed me to get my license renewed. After renewal of the license, I shall recover my revolver from the police custody. About fifteen years have passed and I am concerned that the revolver may have been damaged/rusted due to lack of care in police custody. In this regard, I have two questions that may perhaps be answered by a gun dealer or someone having first hand knowledge.
1. What are the chances of the weapon having been damaged and how serious the damage is likely to be?
2. Is it possible to take the services of a gun dealer to assess the present condition of the weapon? If yes, how likely is a gun dealer to give a true written assessment of the present condition/damage in view of the fact that I may use that assessment to sue the police for compensation and the licenses of the gun dealers are also controlled by the same police?
3. Any other suggestions on how to proceed about the whole thing to satisfy myself that the weapon I get back has not suffered any blameworthy deterioration and is in a fine working condition?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Professional opinion on a gun's condition

Post by Hammerhead » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 pm

I would not leave it to them, ruined or rusted or whatever condition it might be. Would go all the way to get it back and then sue for damage to my property. Take it back and take it to good gunsmith and have it inspected. If it works fine, if not it's out of the state's hands. Bring it home and hang it on the wall

My best guess, it has gone under some politician or some police officer's wife to take a good care - Haji
Last edited by Hammerhead on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Welcome to IFG. Very sorry to hear of what happened to you and your revolver.

Re, which make is it? That would help our more seasoned comrades to look for specific issues.

A good visual inspection should reveal any rusting and pitting in and on the barrel. I would think that that would be the worst that could happen if it was stored rough.The level of rusting and pitting, if any, would determine the action.

You could take the help of a "gunsmith" if you know a good one. Depending on your location, probably, some of our members could suggest you one.

A good clean-up of the revolver should be the first step. If you can take good,clear photos and post them here, that would help even better.

These are my opinions, and our more informed members could advise you better.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Were the bore and other internal parts greased or oiled sufficiently before it was handed over?

Were the external metal parts oiled, the revolver covered in oiled paper or waxed cloth and put in a proper handgun case and sealed?

Do you live in an area with a dry climate or less humidity?

If the answers to the above are yes, it should be in good condition and you will only need to clean out the bore and old lubricant and relubricate the appropriate parts correctly.

After being sealed, has the revolver ever been removed and handled? If so, were the external parts oiled again everytime it was put back in the case?

Where it was stored can also make a difference.

Assuming the parts were greased and/or oiled, which grease and oil did you use?

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Dear seasoned,

Sorry for what you and your revolver have gone through. Personally I would suggest you not to take any action with your revolver immediately. After patiently checking every millimetre, consult a minimum of 2-3 gun smiths and get their opinion first and only then decide what you want to do with your revolver.

Damage of your weapon would most be because of climate other than that, your revolver would have been kept under safe custody for further investigations.

And I do not expect any action can be taken against the concerned authorities for not handling (maintained) your dear weapon carefully.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

seasoned
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by seasoned » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Hammerhead wrote:I would not leave it to them, ruined or rusted or whatever condition it might be. Would go all the way to get it back and then sue for damage to my property. Take it back and take it to good gunsmith and have it inspected. If it works fine, if not it's out of the state's hands. Bring it home and hang it on the wall

My best guess, it has gone under some politician or some police officer's wife to take a good care - Haji
Dear Hammerhead,
Perhaps it is not legally permissible unless a weapon is duly confiscated by the state but I do hope that some politician or a police officer's wife is taking good care of my weapon. That would be a service to me.

seasoned
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by seasoned » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Vikram wrote:Welcome to IFG. Very sorry to hear of what happened to you and your revolver.

Re, which make is it? That would help our more seasoned comrades to look for specific issues.

A good visual inspection should reveal any rusting and pitting in and on the barrel. I would think that that would be the worst that could happen if it was stored rough.The level of rusting and pitting, if any, would determine the action.

You could take the help of a "gunsmith" if you know a good one. Depending on your location, probably, some of our members could suggest you one.

A good clean-up of the revolver should be the first step. If you can take good,clear photos and post them here, that would help even better.

These are my opinions, and our more informed members could advise you better.

Best-
Vikram
Dear Vikram
Thanks for your reassuring response. The make is Arminius, made in Germany. The weapon is in Delhi where the weather is hot and humid for several months. Probably the police keep it in a cloth parcel and it is almost certain that no one would have oiled it after any forensic tests or later. Let us see how it turns out to be.

seasoned
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by seasoned » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 pm

StampMaster wrote:Dear seasoned,

Sorry for what you and your revolver have gone through. Personally I would suggest you not to take any action with your revolver immediately. After patiently checking every millimetre, consult a minimum of 2-3 gun smiths and get their opinion first and only then decide what you want to do with your revolver.

Damage of your weapon would most be because of climate other than that, your revolver would have been kept under safe custody for further investigations.

And I do not expect any action can be taken against the concerned authorities for not handling (maintained) your dear weapon carefully.
Dear StampMaster

I hope that any deterioration may be due to weather and neglect only and the police do not cannibalise on weapons as they do with vehicles. The skeletons of impounded vehicles standing in police stations, without any valuable parts left inside bear testimony to the care taken by the police. This leads to the related issue raised by you. When the State takes someone's property into its custody. is it not the legal reponsibility of the State to take reasonable care of it and return it in the same condition that it was in when taken over?

Thanks
seasoned