Yet another "Pop" Quiz

Post all jokes/ quizzes/ teasers/ 'identify this' type of posts here
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Yet another "Pop" Quiz

Post by Mark » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:36 am

OK another trivia pic:

I'll personally drink a beer for everyone who answers this correctly.

This is a true pop quiz, since that is the sound the can makes when it is opened! :lol:
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Yet another "Pop" Quiz

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:58 am

It looks like the pistol supplied to the Philipinos, by the U.S., during WW2. Forget the name.....Liberator?

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:01 am

Yeehaaa! Just checked via Google and am happy to say the brain cells aren't dead. Well, at least a couple or so. :mrgreen:

Have a 'pop' on me.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: The correct name is FP-45 Liberator. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberator_Pistol

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:04 am

Well darn that was quick!

Yep it was called the Liberator, a bunch of them were dropped into France and into the Phillipines to be used by the resistance.

They were made by General Motors, and I think they had a production run of about 1 million. I think they were made at a rate of 1 every 2.5 seconds, and hold the distinction of the only gun that takes longer to reload than it does to make!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:07 am

Loading instructions.

Another bit of trivia- the original instructions are so rare that collectors pay more for the instructions or the box it came in than they do for the pistol!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:09 am

Would have been quicker, had I not been browsing New Graham Knives. One of my favourite haunts. ;)
They were made by General Motors, and I think they had a production run of about 1 million. I think they were made at a rate of 1 every 2.5 seconds, and hold the distinction of the only gun that takes longer to reload than it does to make!
According to the link....

An interesting fact about the Liberator is that the factories could produce one faster than the weapon could be loaded and fired. Building the pistol took about six or seven seconds whilst loading took about 10 seconds.

Do you have one in your collection?

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:13 am

Another bit of trivia- the original instructions are so rare that collectors pay more for the instructions or the box it came in than they do for the pistol!
Whilst I don't have the original instructions, I am pretty sure I have a very good pic of it in the World War II series published by Time Life.

Let me have a look.....

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:33 am

I have only seen one for sale, about 7 years or so and they were asking $695 for it.

There are a lot of $700 guns I'll buy before that I think.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:54 am

Seeing that picture, the phrase "with looks only a mother could love!" immediately comes to mind.... :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:06 pm

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:24 pm

I had seen this on "American Rifleman TV" on the Outdoor channel a couple of months ago. I remember the editor (who also shot it) talking about the recoil and also how rare, hence expensive it was.

Theres one going for $1850, on gunbroker

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=56965240

-Naren

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:30 pm

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the liberator was manufactured by cold stamping process. Much like our 5 rupee diwali tikli gun. It was distributed in large numbers to native 'liberators' to be used against japanese invaders during WW-II
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:37 am

$1850 for a pistol that cost pennies to make, had a smooth bore barrel and required a twig for ejection ? !!!
When rarity is of vastly greater consequence than quality you just know that collectors have entered the market.
The Liberator was officially known as the `.45 Flare Projector` in the interests of security and was produced by the Guide Lamp Division of General Motors who manufactured a million of them in three months. The name `Liberator` was applied retrospectively.
The pistol, ten cartridges and instructions - all wrapped in a waterproof bag - cost $2.10.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:16 pm

Grumpy,

Regarding collectible status vs quality, I think it says something when the cheap printed instructions sell for more than the gun does!

I notice there are no bids on the one AXP found.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:06 am

Good point Mark - that, I think, says it all !
Hey, we`ve got bullets again....on the slant.
- Looks like Abhijeet`s having fun !