Hello from New Zealand

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
cdexter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Hello from New Zealand

Post by cdexter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:47 am

Hello Everyone,

I used to live in amchi mumbai and currently reside in Auckland, New Zealand.
I have a very keen interest in firearms and hunting (its legal here to hunt).
Do own a few firearms, rifles only at this stage.

We do a lot of hunting here. Large game involves deer, goats, pigs, tahr, chamois. Small game involves possums, rabbits, hares, etc.
Most of my gear is customized for hunting. I used to do a lot of target shooting but over the years have given that up completely.
Have played around a lot with air rifles, mostly gas powered. Was involved in a sport called field target shooting.

Really find this forum amusing. Would like to share discuss a lot of stuff here.

Current arsenal
ruger 10/22 semi auto fitted with nikko sterling 4x40 scope
baikal 223 single shot with BSA deer hunter 3-9x50 scope

Have downsized as I may move to Oz for good.
I have owned a number of firearms in the past. Some of which are as below.

Lee Enfield Mk2 303 sporterized
Savage axis 308 bolt action
Baikal single shot 7.62x39
Remington 22 mag semi auto
SKS Norinco 7.62x39
Remington 870 12g shotgun

Field gear includes a number of buck/gerber/svord knives, range finders, spotting scopes, laser bore sighters etc.

Will be keen to answer questions. Will put up photo's very soon.

For Advertising mail webmaster
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Hello from New Zealand

Post by herb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:51 am

Welcome to the forum. Would love to see some pics of your guns. Herb

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:23 am

Welcome to IFG.
Would love to see photos of your rifles.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:59 am

Welcome to IFG cdexter, hope you have a fun and amusing time here. ROTFL

You might find yourself somewhat restricted in gun ownership when you move to Australia.

There are some awesome videos on hunts in NZ on YouTube - you must have had some terrific experiences! Do share. :D

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:17 am

Welcome cdexter - great to see another Indian Kiwi here. I've got a similar story to you. Bombay boy (cannot reconcile to Mumbai !) who moved here to Auckland in 2000. We've got a small group here that goes out on a few hunting trips...or more armed tramping trips should I say !

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:00 am

Welcome aboard.

cdexter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by cdexter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 am

Oggie wrote:Welcome cdexter - great to see another Indian Kiwi here. I've got a similar story to you. Bombay boy (cannot reconcile to Mumbai !) who moved here to Auckland in 2000. We've got a small group here that goes out on a few hunting trips...or more armed tramping trips should I say !

Hey would be good to catch up. I am off to the Kaimanawas this Sat/Sun for a hunt. I am on the shore in Birkdale. Would be good to tag along with a group for the big roar this year.

cdexter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by cdexter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:56 am

ckkalyan wrote:Welcome to IFG cdexter, hope you have a fun and amusing time here. ROTFL

You might find yourself somewhat restricted in gun ownership when you move to Australia.

There are some awesome videos on hunts in NZ on YouTube - you must have had some terrific experiences! Do share. :D

:cheers:
Hello.

So I have heard that Oz has 4 cat's of gun licenses. Semi auto's are a different cat all together. But we will see how we go. Advantage is, there is more animals and land to hunt in Oz. Some of my mates have wonderful stories about Oz hunting.
Personally I don't mind a bolt action for high calibres. Semi is for 22 as it's too annoying to cock, especially when you shoot 100/200 odd rounds in a single shoot at the range. How relaxed are gun laws in Canada? My understanding is that the common wealth countries follow near similar gun laws.

cdexter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by cdexter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:38 am

@Oggie

I am on the shore in Birkdale. Am off to Kaimanawas for a hunt early Sun morning.
Usually I hunt alone as don;t want to slow the others down but will be good to tag along at some stage. Do let me know if you plan for any hunts in the near future.
I have most of the gear and should be able to skin and gut a animal in the bush when needed.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Hello cdexter there is quite a bit of information on the Canadian gun laws in one of my earlier posts here http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22157

Canadian gun ownership is a privilege rather than a right; also the laws are a bit tight and not very well thought out. Magazine restrictions are similar to Oz - 5 for centerfire rifle semiauto and 10 for handgun semiauto.

Shall check out the Oz hunting scenes, thanks.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Welcome to IFG, Dexter.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:20 am

Nice to know you cdexter.kindly share your hunting expeditions with some pictures as you know we are deprived .
regards
dr.jk

cdexter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by cdexter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:08 am

this was sometime last year in coromandel, NZ.
Rifle is a Thompson 308 single shot.
We had dogs with us so it was fairly easy.
Hope you will enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 am

Hey Cdexter,

Sorry I only check the forum sporadically hence the delay. I've sent you a PM.
Ok on the hunting front - ideally in NZ you don't really want to hunt alone especially if you're on DOC land. The issue is if things go awry you're really in the poo ! Lets connect and get chatting. I've made some really good buddies from this forum. Don't worry about slowing anyone down...the best hunting is done slowly. Its amazing how often hunters rush through the bush without taking in the signs. Slow ...very slow movements with regular checks on wind and sign is absolutely the key to productive hunting. Not that I'm a huge expert in this area though !
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Oggie