Back again.

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back again.

Post by Grumpy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:35 am

Well another summer`s pretty well gone and we`re back home in the UK.
The river trip was unfortunately cut short as I managed to break my leg on day 2 of a 12 day trip - nothing to do with the white water though - I was on a beach and slipped on some rocks. Plateau fractures of both the right tibia and fibula ....... which hurt like b*****y ! I`m still wearing the second ( $650 ! ) brace which is a lot more comfortable than the first one and allows much greater mobility. Spent most of August on my brother-in-laws deck in Westchester N.Y. which was very pleasant anyway. The rest of the time we seemed to spend in airplanes and airports - 10 flights in 29 days !
The articulated brace did allow us to go and visit Mehul and Preethi in Chicago where they were quite magnificent hosts, picking us up from our hotel each day and driving us around. One of the highlights was a visit to a gunmaker - Dave Norin - who showed us some of his wondeful work. A traditional gunmaker and stocker who builds superb custom rifles for a bargain $10k. He also showed us a Greener Lee-Speed .303 rifle that he is restoring and restocking for a client which is going to be really special when completed - I`ll leave the description to Mehul to provide. I also had a very interesting conversation with Dave about his colour case hardening which duplicates the traditional British colours very accurately.
Don`t know yet what next summers holiday will bring......except that it`s likely to be the USA again but I`m not planning anything that requires any physical exertion.......I`ve had enough of broken legs ! In the meantime we`ll be discussing Mehuls` reciprocal trip to the UK sometime in 2007 when we`ll be going pigeon shooting and deerstalking.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:31 am

Welcome back, Grumpy. We were informed of your unfortunate accident earlier by Mehul. Also, he was telling us how ?Un-Grumpy? you were. LOL. Trust you are back to fighting form ready to be afield.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi Grumps,

Glad you had a reasonably good time despite the broken leg.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:43 pm

Brace or whatever, keep foot elevated as often as possible, will help reduce pain and swelling.
Then, GET WELL SOON
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:18 pm

eljefe wrote:Brace or whatever, keep foot elevated as often as possible, will help reduce pain and swelling.
Then, GET WELL SOON
Best
Axx

So said the good ol' saw bones. :lol: :D Where have you been, Jefe? We didn't see much action from you recently.

Best-

Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:53 pm

The one thing that Grumpy definitely isn't even with an injured leg, is grumpy. Talk about a completely confusing log in name! :D We had a great time and I wish John and Keri would visit us again next year and spend some more time in Chicago than they did this time. We could then get some shooting in either Illinois or Wisconsin.

The rifle that Dave is rebuilding is a beautiful Greener Lee Speed in 303 which would be going to Africa once it is completed. The rifle has a full length barrel width rib on it with parade sights mounted on it and light scroll engraving on the receiver and magazine. It is going to be an incredible sporter when it is completed, well worth the $ 8500 that Dave is charging for the labour on it. I shall pester Dave for pictures when the rifle is completed and post them here.

My thanks to Grumpy and Mrs Grumpy for their visit and I shall look forward to their next visit. We shall also try to get some deer stalking in the UK next year.

Mehul