New to IFG

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

New to IFG

Post by M.G. 42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:27 pm

Hello everyone my name is Andre from Chennai.I study Mechanical enginnering and im about to graduate.To say I eat sleep and breathe guns would be a misnormer but i do spend a lot of my time shooting stuff with my air rifles and reading about WW2 era and mordern military smallarms.Im gonna be applying for my gun licence soon and it feels great to have a resource like this to help me get it.

Cheers and shoot safe!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:43 pm

Welcome aboard MG42... BTW your handle sounds eerily like an address... No. 42, MG road ;)

'Luck with your license application... do keep us posted on what gun you finally decide to purchase... pictures are always welcome... :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi Andre and welcome aboard.

It is always heartening to see that the younger generation is still interested in guns and shooting despite the lack of equipment and facilities, high prices and red tapism.

What's the first rule of shooting?

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:26 pm

Welcome Andre. All the best with your license application.We look forward to your regular participation.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Re: New to IFG

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:42 pm

Welcome Andre,

No, we don't all live and breathe guns here. What we do is shoot and learn about guns so our breathing and our lives are significantly improved. :mrgreen:

Which college are you with? MIT used to have a rifle range on campus many years ago but I think the Guindy CoE closed their range down in the mid 90s. Do bring more friends who may be interested in guns and shooting to this forum. You will always find a good crowd here, and, if you need any help or advice, there would alwyas be people with experience ready to share what they know.

Cheers!

Mehul

M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by M.G. 42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Hey Mack The Knife,i think the first law of shooting can be put into poetry as follows

Never never point your gun,
towards anyone,
that it may unloaded be,
matters not the least to me.

(highly corrupted quoting from an beautiful old poem written my an english MP on gifting his son his first shotgun-Excellent poem I shall search for it and post it in its entireity soon)

M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by M.G. 42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.Really appreciate it.Im normally the only person in my crowd who knows what a 'Kurz' round is and the difference between a pellet and a bullet so its just great to be with like minded people.

i study at sathyabama institute of science and technology.they prohibhit and strictly monitor sports and culturals and for some reason i wonder what they would say if we asked them for a firing range!!! :P

M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by M.G. 42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:48 pm

Hi abijheet,
The Maschinegewehr 42 was the standard machine gun of the wehrmacht during the latter part of W.W.2.It has been called the best machine gun design in the world and a beast of a weapon to hav against you.

I was hooked after i saw videos of it spewing out fire at upto 6000RPM!!!

As a downside an advanced version of it(MG3 i think) is in use by the pakistani army while our boys have to make do with the bren. :evil:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:40 am

M.G. 42";p="4427 wrote:Hey Mack The Knife,i think the first law of shooting can be put into poetry as follows

Never never point your gun,
towards anyone,
that it may unloaded be,
matters not the least to me.

(highly corrupted quoting from an beautiful old poem written my an english MP on gifting his son his first shotgun-Excellent poem I shall search for it and post it in its entireity soon)
Don't bother....

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=69 ;)

Now you are doubly welcome. :mrgreen:

Wish there were more youngsters like you.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:28 am

M.G. 42";p="4432 wrote:As a downside an advanced version of it(MG3 i think) is in use by the pakistani army while our boys have to make do with the bren. :evil:
The Indian army switched to the FN MAG at the time the PAkistanis switched to the MG 88. The MAG is a superior firearm based on it's subsequent adoption by more armies around the world than the MG 88. It has also proven itself in service in different parts of the world in combat more than any other modern machine gun.

Cheers!

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:37 am

Welcome to the forum, Andre. We have a member here, Douglas Fritz ( my roommate, friend, fraternal brother) who is a WWII re-enactor, has a ton of WWII gear and firearms, his room in our apartment is a small museum in itself. Although he is an infrequent poster, he will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... ight=#2497

-Naren

M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by M.G. 42 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:58 pm

Thanks again for the welcome guys.

Mehul the Fn mag is a very popular weapon but the mg3 is an absolute beast to go up against.The US army after encountering the Mg42 in the hands of crack german gunners had to train their troops to withstand the psycological trauma brought on by the guns extremely high rate of fire.Infantry attacks would freeze up simply because GIs would not want to risk breaking cover and being torn to shreds by hundreds of bullets!!
I read somewhere that german infantry units regarded the Mg 42 as their backbone and once the machine gunner was neutralized they tended to fold up rather quickly.Inexperienced gunners could waste ammo with extreme ease and hence large amounts of ammunition had to be carried and barrels changed every few seconds of firing time due to the heat putting extra strain on the MG team and also on the logistic support train.This in the end was one of the major failings or rather disadvantages of the MG42 and subsequently the MG3 which attains even higher rates of fire.But put the MG3 in the hands of an experienced gunner and you hav one of the most fearsome and effective infantry weapons in the history of warfare.The FN Mag is pedestrian and mediocre by comparison.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:51 pm

M.G. 42";p="4432 wrote: Hi abijheet,
boys have to make do with the bren. :evil:
Trivia bren is actually a Czech design and came from the Brno design shop. It is considered to be quite reliable weapon and is used by Indian and other commonwealth countries. One of the few designs wherein loading is assisted by gravity since bullets are fed from the top. Its direct ancestor Czech ZB vz.26, was also used in WWII by German forces, including units of the Waffen SS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bren

Its being phased out due to trend of converting to 5.56 mm cartridge, there are doubts about strength of this new cartridge. There was a talk to replace Bren with FN Minni in Indian army http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M249. I think Pakistan is already going for this machine gun and Indian army is probably going to get INSAS version of it. So I would be glad if Bren version of 7.62 mm stays around because its time and battle tested compared to the new INSAS, unless common sense or Indian army generals recommendation ( rarity) prevails and they go for FN Minni. But then these important decisions are made by the bureaucrats and bean counters whose collective experience with weapons is limited to using spray pump against roaches. Then one ahs to content with the advise of so called technocrats who given a chance can not even design a dead bolt from scratch without copying from others.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:43 pm

Soldiers have other toys to play with besides a machine gun.Truth is the first casualty of war and this goes for all the war stories.If soldiers were afraid to face machinegun fire then there would have been no Ist WW.
Welcome MG 42.I suggest that any further discussion on MG vs FN MAG be carried out by starting a new thread in the appropriate forum.

There......that made me feel very moderatorly :lol: 8)

Take care,
penpusher

M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by M.G. 42 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:09 pm

Sure thing why would i want a moderator on my back.LOL.K fellow ballistic heads there isnt a subsection for Machine guns so if ul wud join me at the forum subsection rifles,Well continue this there.Cheers.