Way off target

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Way off target

Post by pran80 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 am

Dear IFGians,

Not sure if this was posted earlier. Now i know where my 500 Rs have gone.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/Way+ ... 92102.html

Regards,

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Way off target

Post by nagarifle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:57 am

not to worry, take a week of and got the club :) as its been paid for.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:20 pm

What an "improvement" after independence!
The Rifle Club donation practice dates back to the British period when every district had a District Rifle Association (DRA), popularly called the Rifle Club, which was established to provide basic infrastructure to arms license holders for learning how to handle weapons. The DRAs were also supposed to promote the sport of shooting in the public. The British collectors took less than a rupee as DRA fee for creating a corpus fund to ensure proper infrastructure, ammunition and a firing range. Post Independence, the fee of the Rifle Club was enhanced and it was made mandatory. From time to time the fee was raised arbitrarily and district magistrates stopped giving receipts for these donations. "I have paid Rs 2,000 as Rifle Club fee, but the clerk in the collector's office refused to give me a receipt," says Nagendra Singh, a licence holder in Lucknow. The fee ranges between Rs 300 and Rs 5,000 from district to district. And in Bundelkhand, where a firearm is a status symbol, people are ready to shell out any amount to obtain a licence. What is most shocking in this scandalous saga is that the money has not been spent for the purpose it was collected for. Of the state's 71 districts, only one has a shooting range. There are more than three lakh licensees in Uttar Pradesh, but none has been trained by the DRAs nor has anyone been provided cartridges at subsidised rates.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by pran80 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:31 am

This article talks about U.P State only. Does anyone knows what is the situation in other states? On my next trip to Allahabad i will try to get some more information on this PIL.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:55 pm

The situation is almost the same in other States. There are many rifle associations that practically exist only on papers. You can probably understand the kind of "public interest" they serve by staying only on papers. If you read this you will get an idea http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10672
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:26 pm

we in the land of the nagas are free from just imperial taxes :|
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:30 pm

you didn't see what is charged for membership down south.
but there is a decent rifle range and can practice every sunday.
i heard that you don't need to have a range to have a rifle club.
maybe it is not feesable to run a range.
regards