A big win for Minnesota gun owners

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

A big win for Minnesota gun owners

Post by xl_target » Sat May 23, 2015 10:50 am

I just received an email this afternoon from Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance (GOCRA).
For years they have been fighting for Minnesotan's gun rights.

Today the Governor of Minnesota signed SF878 - the Omnibus Public Safety Bill into law.
Later this year, as the laws take effect, the following provisions will be in effect:

The Governor will no longer have the authority to seize your firearms during a 'state of emergency'
Ownership and use of suppressors will be legal for all lawful purposes
Permit to Carry holders will no longer need to provide notification to the Commissioner of Public Safety to carry at the MN State Capitol complex
The process for the Commissioner of Public Safety to determine reciprocity for permit holders with other states will be simplified
Minnesota law will be clarified as to the purchase of long guns in other states

This is a great victory for Minnesota's gun owners - and YOU MADE THIS HAPPEN!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: A big win for Minnesota gun owners

Post by Hammerhead » Sun May 24, 2015 4:05 am

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun May 24, 2015 5:12 am

:cheering: good on ya MN!

How about Night Vision devices - still banned xl_target?

Hammerhead ROTFL is that baby Canada beside Big Brother?
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 24, 2015 6:35 am

Sounds like some welcome and sensible actions to me, XL!

There are plenty of other places that could use the same improvements to conditions!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun May 24, 2015 8:56 am

Anything that advances our gun rights is a good thing.
I'm not going to run out and buy a suppressor as it is a very long drawn out process and involves asking the BATFE for permission. It's nice to know, however, that I can if I want to. The State not being able to seize arms and ammunition during a "state of Emergency" is a good thing. I think Katrina opened a lot of eyes. North Dakota reciprocity for concealed carry would be nice too.

It was just totally unexpected, with a Democrat governor who at first said that he would not sign the bill.
A massive campaign of gun supporters who called, emailed and wrote the governor and other members of the legislature caused him to change his mind.
This was a totally local effort and it bore fruit. it's a good feeling.

CK, no night vision yet. Hopefully that will come in the future.
It would be nice for Coyote hunting.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun May 24, 2015 11:46 am

xl_target wrote:Anything that advances our gun rights is a good thing.

A massive campaign of gun supporters who called, emailed and wrote the governor and other members of the legislature caused him to change his mind.
This was a totally local effort and it bore fruit. it's a good feeling.
Congratulations! And what a great effort from the people of MN. Something we should try to emulate as we oppose the horrendous Arms Amendments...

Cheers,
AgentDoubleS

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun May 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Definitely moving in the right direction! But honestly, those were some pretty overbearing laws compared to most states, they definitely needed to go.

But hey, I'll take a handful of positive reforms any day! Congratulations. :)
xl_target wrote:...I'm not going to run out and buy a suppressor as it is a very long drawn out process and involves asking the BATFE for permission. It's nice to know, however, that I can if I want to.
It's a 1 page form, two sides, and a second page where you write your name and sign that you are a citizen.

The last time I bought a machinegun and a silencer from a private party we filled out the forms (2 copies) at his kitchen table in 10 minutes tops. I slipped them in an envelope with two $200 checks and postage and dropped them in the mailbox at the nearest post office on my way home. Total time for drawn out process: About 30 minutes including saying "Good bye, thanks!" and driving time to the post office :)

Silencers are very popular where I live. I'd say about 1/2 to 1/3 of the friends I shoot with from time to time have them, most have several. You should give it a try! :)

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 24, 2015 6:37 pm

xl_target wrote:The State not being able to seize arms and ammunition during a "state of Emergency" is a good thing. I think Katrina opened a lot of eyes.
Hearing you say this gives me a bit of a shiver, as I always remember whT my Dad said. Do you remember the bumper sticker that talked about the advance that gun control would be, and then attributed the quote to adolf hitler?

Dad told the story several times that, when his unit entered a town in Germany, the CO would go to the burghermeister for the list of guns in the town. The list would be produced, the guns collected and laid out on the road, and then they were driven over to destroy them.

Th e emergency,when police and fire protection isn't often available, is when citizens need their protection the most. It is not time to come and collect them. That is why I didn't bring handguns to New Jersey: the local police keep a record of all of them. To me, having to register them in this way was the same as not having them,and it also would have been an admission that I was a threat to society like others who have to register with the government, like sex perverts. I could not accept the humiliation of such a process, even tho I was not convicted of any crime.

Out West, we have plenty of pro-gun Democrats, and anti-gun Republicans are nothing new. (Such as a recent president and his life NRA father) I prefer to judge them as they come, rather than taking the shortcut of categorization and assumption.

Harry S. Truman

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun May 24, 2015 6:41 pm

New Jersey is not only the worst state in America, it is also very low on the list worldwide :)

But you did not have to register your handguns if you brought them to New Jersey while moving. There is no legal requirement to do so in New Jersey. Handguns are only registered in New Jersey when you actually purchase them in New Jersey, or if you voluntarily register them after bringing them while moving.

But the important thing is that you got out of New Jersey :)

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:New Jersey is not only the worst state in America, it is also very low on the list worldwide :)

But you did not have to register your handguns if you brought them to New Jersey while moving. There is no legal requirement to do so in New Jersey. Handguns are only registered in New Jersey when you actually purchase them in New Jersey, or if you voluntarily register them after bringing them while moving.

No, this isn't correct. If you live there and have a handgun, the local police have to know about it. Even state troopers have to register their service pistol with the locals.

Harry S. Truman

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun May 24, 2015 7:42 pm

timmy wrote:
Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:New Jersey is not only the worst state in America, it is also very low on the list worldwide :)

No, this isn't correct. If you live there and have a handgun, the local police have to know about it. Even state troopers have to register their service pistol with the locals.
Not true. I lived there for 35 years. There is no mandatory registration of firearms in New Jersey. If you move to NJ with firearms there is no requirement to register them.

From the New Jersey State Police:

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/firearms-faqs.html
Q10: I have moved to New Jersey from another state. May I continue to possess my firearm(s)?

A10: Firearms which have been legally acquired in another state and are legal to possess in New Jersey may be brought to New Jersey by the owner when residency is established. The owner may VOLUNTARILY register the firearm(s) by completing a Voluntary Form of Firearms Registration, however the owner is not obligated to do so.
If you would like to review NJ law to find a requirement to register firearms or notify local police about them, the law is NJSA 2C:58-1 through 19 and starts here:

http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the ... /58-1.html

There is no such law and no such requirement, never has been.

But, like I said, the important thing is that you got out of New Jersey :)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun May 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Congratulations, XL!
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon May 25, 2015 2:38 am

This piece of news definitely comes in at the right moment - encouragement to all of us in doing our bit for the 2015 Arms Draft Rules in India! :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon May 25, 2015 3:52 am

ckkalyan wrote::cheering: good on ya MN!

I should have been more clear. Night vision is not banned.
Its legal to own here in this state but not legal to hunt with, which kinda negates any practical use.

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Mon May 25, 2015 6:29 am

xl_target wrote:
ckkalyan wrote::cheering: good on ya MN!

I should have been more clear. Night vision is not banned.
Its legal to own here in this state but not legal to hunt with, which kinda negates any practical use.
I don't hunt and I think NV is a blast! Besides screwing around, having fun, walking trails at night, or make believing Rambo ;) it is also great for meteor showers. If you are a serious star gazer it can help with that, too, but that is just to see stuff you normally could not based on limitations of your equipment (telescope, etc.). Because I think it is better to see with visible light.