atomic fish on Sunday 16th Sept

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: atomic fish on Sunday 16th Sept

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:16 pm

A three turn half-blood knot that isn`t tucked is about as secure as a safety pin as your front door lock !
You make 6-8 turns, pass the end through the gap at the bottom of the stack of coils and then pass the end through the loop you`ve just created - that`s the tuck which not only `locks` the knot but also orientates the end of the line in the right direction. When pulled tight ( making sure that the stack of coils is compressed )you need only leave about 1/8" of the end of the line because the knot won`t slip.

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:53 pm

Try these guys! Easy and simple and very strong!!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Dev,

This is how I tie my Blood Knot... http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fishtec ... steps.html

For anything upto 14 lbs. mono (I don't have 15 lbs.), the tag end goes around the main line seven times but if I am using 40 lbs. line it wont be more than four times. Try the Palomar knot. One of my friends even uses it for mahseer. BTW, I cut the tag end 1/2" from the knot and then burn the loose end with my cigarette - just in case.

If magur are toothy fish then you need a 40lb leader. I thought I had sent you some or am I mistaken? If it is a toothy fish it could bite through 15 lb mono.

Bet the locals had a good laugh about you city boys being squemish about hooking on an earthworm. You chaps are letting the side down....

Grumpy, 'mothered' needn't necessarily mean what you think it to be. So you can relax... :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Thanks for the pics.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Oh, are you going to send Ruby round ? I could probably deal with that ................ :wink: :lol: !

Yup, that`s a half-blood knot. To `tuck` it just pass the end of the line in the last illustration through the large loop shown.

Although described as a `Blood Knot` - a common error repeated in innumerable books and articles - it is, properly, the Half Blood Knot. If you ever saw a Blood Knot proper you`ld immediately realise why. Here the Half Blood Knot is pretty well obsolete as the Tucked Half Blood requires minimal extra effort and provides far superior security.
The ( full ) Blood Knot is used for joining two lines together.

I`m trying to wrap my head around the concept of grown men being squeamish about hooking an earthworm. This is Indians for Guns for goodness sake. What are they going to do on a hunt - close their eyes before pulling the trigger ? And what about gralloching a carcase ? As the man said - "You kill your meat, you dress your meat, you eat your meat. That way you KNOW that no dirty bas*ard has shat on your meat !"

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:18 pm

40 lb line I only use for deep water boat fishing when there`a a half pound lead attached. Try using line that heavy in Rivers/Lakes and you`ld hear the Carp sniggering as they totally ignored your bait. :lol:

Smoking fishermen eh ? Did you know that fish can detect nicotine/tar/smoke in minute amounts transferred from your fingers to the line - and really don`t like it ?
And how many of you have experienced just how quickly a cigarette can burn through fishing line ? If it hasn`t happened yet, it will - I absolutely guarantee it.
I`ve done it myself.... and it REALLY pi**es you off when you`ve just re-tackled ! :roll: :cry: :cry:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:52 pm

Oh, are you going to send Ruby round ? I could probably deal with that ................ :wink: :lol: !
Yes but I doubt if she could. :P
Yup, that`s a half-blood knot. To `tuck` it just pass the end of the line in the last illustration through the large loop shown.
Thanks, will try it out next time.
I`m trying to wrap my head around the concept of grown men being squeamish about hooking an earthworm. This is Indians for Guns for goodness sake. What are they going to do on a hunt - close their eyes before pulling the trigger ? And what about gralloching a carcase ? As the man said - "You kill your meat, you dress your meat, you eat your meat. That way you KNOW that no dirty bas*ard has shat on your meat !"
Not much chance of that happening here.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:09 pm

40 lb line I only use for deep water boat fishing when there`a a half pound lead attached. Try using line that heavy in Rivers/Lakes and you`ld hear the Carp sniggering as they totally ignored your bait. :lol:
If you use lighter lines for mahseer (carp/barbel family) on the Cauvery, they will keep breaking it because of the rocks. However, we are not talking about main lines but leaders for toothy fish. Not sure if the magur is toothy but we use a 40 lb leader for snakeheads on our stretch.
Smoking fishermen eh ? Did you know that fish can detect nicotine/tar/smoke in minute amounts transferred from your fingers to the line - and really don`t like it ?
I have heard of this theory but I haven't seen it make a difference. And no, I do not use a cigarette holder. ;)

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Oh, are you going to send Ruby round ? I could probably deal with that ................

"Yes but I doubt if she could. "

:lol: :lol: LMAO :lol: :lol:

- Good one Dodger !

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Yeah, I know that you have Mahseer to contend with ......... although there`s little evidence of them from the pictures that you guys have shown. There was once a photograph of a minnow that you claimed was a Mahseer.......................
Having been bitten off when using a heavyweight mono leader I use a wire trace for Pike.
Fishes dislike for nicotine etc is not a theory but a proven fact. I just wiped my hands in grass before handling the line.......when I remembered. Don`t use a cigarette holder....... not unless you`re planning to wear a floppy bow tie, pince nez spectacles held on a cord about your neck and adopt a lisp. If you adopt that ensemble you`ll find yourself with a whole new set of friends.................

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:08 pm

Yeah, I know that you have Mahseer to contend with ......... although there`s little evidence of them from the pictures that you guys have shown. There was once a photograph of a minnow that you claimed was a Mahseer.......................
Ooooh...aren't we in a bitchy mood today. Now if you had taken the effort to read what I wrote carefully, you will find that I was refering to the mahseer in the Cauvery and not the one's on the WASI stretch.

Even if the nicotine theory is a proven fact, the fact of the matter is that I still catch fish - nicotined stained fingers and all. It's possible I may catch more without the smell of nicotine on the terminal tackle but I'm happy with the way things are at present.

Mack The Knife

P.S.:
Having been bitten off when using a heavyweight mono leader I use a wire trace for Pike.
I don't have wire trace and so far 40lb mono has proved more than sufficient for murral (snakehead), so that's what I have been using. What sort of wire trace do you use?

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:11 am

I have a 10 metre spool ( or what`s left of it anyway ) of 20lb Drennan Soft Wire but usually use made up hook lengths by Fox or Grauvell.......which are expensive I suppose but save a heck of a lot of aggravation because the hooks, crimps and link are all pre-fitted. Those usually use 28 lb 7-strand stainless steel wire.
Main line is 12lb gelspun Dyneema grey braid ( no-name - I bought 250 metres cheap ) on a Mitchell 440A Match deep spool. I love my old Mitchells although one has never been the same since it got sand in the bearings.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:50 am

Nice Pics and nice writeUP..

Thanks for sharing Abhijeet...

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks, Grumpy.

Any idea what is meant by 'soft wire'?

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:36 am

Aha, another Fox fan...Grumps, Mack The Knife was referring to my new Fox 12 ft , 6pc 'trekker' travel carping rod.Has a casting weight of 3 oz.How's grauvel? I have read about it...And found Grey's a bit more than I can chew- cost wise.
There's one place we go -called Solly bridge-in the dry season, when its 120 in the shade,the sand is like talcum powder on the banks and its a constant nightmare trying to keep tackle clear of the sandblasting.
I have accepted the nicotine and catch rate hypothesis and use vanilla/coconut oil on my hands if I cant avoid a smoke :(
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:47 pm

"If magur are toothy fish then you need a 40lb leader. I thought I had sent you some or am I mistaken? If it is a toothy fish it could bite through 15 lb mono.

Bet the locals had a good laugh about you city boys being squemish about hooking on an earthworm. You chaps are letting the side down...."

Hello,

Thanks for the solution to a knotty problem ;-) (apologies have been writing crappy slogans all day). Yes you have sent me some deadly stuff, it was just that I hadn't anticipated this, but I am almost convinced that I had knotted the hook incorrectly. Naw I'm not saying that we were squeamish but Anupam might have been a trifle alarmed. I baited his hook for him with an oithwoim and it worked fine. It just takes some getting used to them trying to treat your hand like loam.
Will need to do some more trips to this place to figure out what's inside but we saw some big mothers leaping about.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.