Boys' Day Out

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Boys' Day Out

Post by Olly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:04 pm

It was an excursion that these two passion-driven boys undertook to satisfy their lust for shooting and to test if they were 'man enough' for taming the papa of shooting competitions - the Big Bore shooting championships. Armed with adequate fodder, a .30 cal shooting stick and two .32 cal Revolvers in the pyjamas, these two made off somewhere in the innards of Haryana for a day-out. A quick breakfast of coleslaw-n-egg sandwiches churned with a Cuppa of Maggi Instant Noodles and gulped down with some instant hot coffee; sitting on a rug on the forested floor; provided some energy and boosted their spirits after a 2 hour drive.

In the vast open fields, while the golden standing crops of wheat swaying in the breeze waved and beckoned these two visitors to come amongst their midst, their taller cousins - the fruit trees in the orchard, rained mulberries, betraying their apprehensions of a few hours to be spent together under their shade, by these two.

The 'open sighted' rifle made by the 'legendary' IOF was the only one available to test the skills. A Range Finder got the exact 100m firing distance and the boys took adequate care to check the backstop and make doubly sure that the high velocity bullets got buried into the mounds of oblivion with no possibility of ricochets. The slider of the rear sight was set to 100m in the hope that the IOF boneheads would have calibrated the gun and checked the accuracy accordingly, before delivery. A one by one and a half foot of florescent chart paper with a moderately sized leaf taped to its centre was designed to make a quick make-shift field target. It worked well as the leaf looked like the bull in the centre, except for its non-consequential oblongish curves.

First shot - BOOOOM and suddenly all the cattle started mooing and baying, having been rudely woken from their early afternoon nap; the beings of the feathered kind showed their displeasure with a lot of commotion, gossip and exit. The two or three 'jhadu-wallas' (read peacocks - they carry a broom like cluster behind them !) who were eyeing us suspiciously, also took off, refusing to be witness to unnatural activities that shattered the otherwise peace and quiet. Luckily there were no wolves around, especially ones that come in the khakhi clothing !! And as for the shot, well.... no where on paper !!! It was a flyer ! First thoughts - find excuses for missing the paper. Conclusion - maybe that age was taking its toll and the unsteady hands had lived past their useful life... The second one tried his luck on the same settings. BOOOM... and a second flyer... unbelievable ! What a shame - can't even hit the board and trying for a competition !?

But refusing to give up, and a Bore Sighter too rich for their blood, the boys tried the desi (read Indian) way to identify the problem. They opened and removed the bolt, rested the rifle on the first available bag and peeped through the bore to compare the alignment of the sights - through the bore and through the irons. Out came the fault - total misalignment - look here, see there and go where ! The rear sight calibration of the IOF's best product, was all bull shit. While the slider of the rear sight works, the IOF jerks apparently never zero the gun on the marked settings. So squatting at 100m and setting the gun's rear sights at 100 mark setting, the shot would go a clean 15-18" high....

Now confident of rectifying the problem, the boys pulled back the slide of the rear sight to mid-way and peeped through the barrel again to check if the two 'sights' met at the target. Yes, they did this time. The next couple of shots and a peep through the Spotting Scope, proved it so... dead on !!

But by now the caution (of holding the rifle firmly) had given way to jubilation. The younger of the two boys in the enthusiasm let off a 180 gr Sellier & Bellot round without the butt of the gun nesting firmly in the shoulder and lo, the gun unveiled itself to be some kind of a reincarnated mule ! It kicked back and up on the cheek and boy promptly laid it back with a grunt and a volley of curses ! Seems the dickheads at IOF never fire the guns they produce, else they'd realise that the cheap black plastic they call a butt pad, isn't even worth its name. Lesson - throw out the factory stuff and get a Pachmeyer or its clones instead !

A few rounds and Some time later, with bruised shoulders and a battered spine, the boys thought they had had enough. The shooting gala, like a magnet, had attracted many two-legged creatures - tall and short, who stared on with their bewildered looks, and murmuring amongst themselves - their own assessment of the unprecedented situation they were witnessing. It was thought best to disappear from there, before the few became a crowd !

Would the boys shoot at the Big Bore Competition of April/May ? No, not this time and certainly never before the rifle was made a 'match rifle' with its much required modifications.... or else the services of an orthopaedic with a stretcher would be necessitated... The next competition, YES, very much so... !!

Short of the journey back home, it was the time for the revolvers, brothers-in-arms, also from the same IOF stable. The chart paper again proved handy and was propped up with sticks. A rough pen-sketch resembling a de-natured human (Ajmal Kasab in mind ?) was drawn and left to be brought down with a volley of hot lead. The younger of the boys offered to take out the 'upper storey' while the elder of the two, offered to puncture the torso with a generous amount of lead in the groin so as to provide a free open vasectomy. Ofcourse, the cheeks of the younger still hurt - which showed on the target as well (most of his shots grouped at the cheek) !! How many rounds were expended ? Sorry - no count... !!

A couple of cokes and some fruit ended the boys' day out. Fun it was...

Some pictures that tell the storey :

Apologies for any inadvertent errors...

For Advertising mail webmaster
OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Boys' Day Out

Post by OverUnderPump » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:23 pm

:cheers:

Nice Writeup.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

saifdiwan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by saifdiwan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing. I feel envious! :)

Is it that you can just go out with your stuff anywhere, and start shooting, in Haryana? Haven't been there, just asking.

Thanks,
Saif

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Good write up.

reg,
drifter.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm

all i see is two noty boys with out me :D

nice going at last you kicked ass out of it :lol:
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi Anupam Nice work... good to see u and nishant having a ball .
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

farhan.lateefi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by farhan.lateefi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:56 pm

I make it a point to read all your posts.. again a great write up.

regards
farhan lateefi
''The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."

Patrick Henry

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 pm

After reading your write up, I enjoyed it as much as you'll did...
Thanks for sharing...
regards
Happy.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:08 am

hey who is who.

More importantly who is older?
Both of them look like gabroo jawan to me.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:35 am

saifdiwan wrote: Is it that you can just go out with your stuff anywhere, and start shooting, in Haryana?
Saif

No Sir, we were shooting on private property !

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:37 am

shooter wrote:hey who is who.
More importantly who is older?
Both of them look like gabroo jawan to me.
I am the older one... :twisted:

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks for the nice comments ! Hope you all do enjoy in the same way... :)

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:59 am

Olly,

There nothing like being out with a friend shooting..........for me it's a real stress buster! I remember when I took my first shot at my IOF .30-06. I had mounted the scope and the damn thing whipped up like crazy. The next thing I know, I have a cut from the ocular bell of the scope on my nose and it's bleeding like hell. But not to be undone I tried a couple of shots at 100 meters marked and I got a grouping of a half inch around the number 4-5 ring in the bull. Fortunately, the old training kicked in and I managed to control this notorious habit of the rifle.

You are quite right about the iron sights on this rifle. They ought to be thrown off. Just not worth it. In fact, I am in touch with a member who would be participating at Kadarpur on the 27th. who has been spending sleepless nights having his own sights made.

If you guys are ever in Gujarat, give me a buzz. I have my own 100-300 meter range. Maybe we can rip some more paper :lol:

BTW, I like the vertical photos of you guys in the centre. Reminds me of the old Jeetendra movie posters! :lol:

Best
Katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:08 am

Anupam, a few quick obs
that rifle is leaning against a tree with bolt closed- VERY NO NO from safety point of view, gun safety includes never to lean a fire arm against an object like fence/tree/wall
lay it down instead

A 5 kilo pack of Lal Qila or some such rice makes a fantastic sand bag
put it in a another cloth bag and you have a sandbag lasting you a couple of years :P
get 2 and use one each for front and back rests
Zeroing from prone position is a sad remnant of the Brit influence, plus ,for the recoil sensitive, it wallops a heck of a lot more

so, try seated, using a bench/collapsible bench arrangement
Boresighting - good, basics cant be beat.
seriously suggest you get a boresighter , a decent one should be about 100USD -the Leupold from optics planet is even cheaper
if you have never sighted in your rifle, start at 50 or even 25 y.get your shots on paper, then use ballistic tables to adjust POI accordingly.
e,g
180Grain 30-06 should have a a zero at 2 distances e.g at say 40 and 110 yards , so sight in at 40 y and check at 110 -this being only an example
go to any of the ballistic calulators like Norma on line and get these tables

Another idea would be to use an adjustable wooden rest UNDER the fore and rear bags, to get the rifle exactly parallel to the ground -dont hesitate to use a spirit level to adjust this, and the left-right rotation -called cant-where you may end up unconsciously rotating the rifle CW or CCW along its long axis, as you hold it...

best
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Hey Olly!
Nice pictures of Olly & Stan. Enjoyable read, the only person missing is one of you trying to teach the local 'Basanti' how to shoot the revolver. OR You already been there and DONE that and dont care to put up the photographs? :D
BR