IFG - USA meet 2012

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IFG - USA meet 2012

Post by xl_target » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:47 am

The location is between the Mississippi and Illinois river valleys in Southwestern Illinois.
This is on private property owned by Mark and his family.
Please remember that this will be a camping type weekend. It would be nice to sit around a campfire at night and listen to everyone's stories.

The nearest major Airport is St Louis, MO
Airlines serving St Louis: http://explorestlouis.com/visit-explore ... /airlines/
The nearest Railroad Station is Alton, IL.

However, I'm sure that there are Hotels close by for those whose spouses have no interest in camping.

I'll let Mark fill in more details when he gets back.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks , things getting in line.

Any suggestions ......?

agenda ........?

politics .......?

problems .........?

future plans .......?

contracts and insurances ........?

any other requirements .......... ?

Bring your suggestion forward please, you may have many many - Haji
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:29 am

Ok gentlemen I am back for a while now.

Anyway, the zip code here is 62065 so anyone can look it up in mapquest to find directions and distances.

There is plenty of space here, and I have at least 7 tents available, in addition to our lodges.

The gun range is about 70 yards, and plenty of space to set up 25 yard pistol and if someone wants to do 10M air guns we can do that too.

As it gets nearer we can discuss food, I can get goat here if people would like to get one and we can butcher it, which might be educational for the younger members of families who have never seen meat other than what is wrapped in cellophane at the store.

Additionally, I can organise some fishing too if anyone is interested. (just bass/bluegill/crappie pond fishing)

Plenty of trails for hiking and such. Another thing I was thinking about but do not wish to promise anything yet would be to fire up a forge and teach whoever is interested how to forge knife blades, but I have to get some logistics straightened out first. I can also teach people how to flint knap arrowheads and make fire without matches if there is interest.

Anyway, let us hear who is planning on coming, and if there is anything that someone else would either like to learn or teach!

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 am

Hammerhead wrote:Gentlemen,

I will be driving with my family and few other CanadianGunNutz any way, only 2400 kilometers :lol: ,

So hit it people - Haji
[/quote]

Haji,

I have to say that when I mentioned this to my oldest son his smart-alecky remark was "I thought this was Indians for Guns and not Canadians for Guns! :lol:

Looking forward to meeting you in person,

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:17 am

Possible Agenda:
1. some people had expressed an interest to see some of the big sports/gun shops in the area. A day or half a day for that.
2. Sitting around the campfire, telling stories in the evenings.
3. Hiking around Mark's property
4. I will bring a couple of .22 rifles and a pistol. I can also bring a couple of 9mm pistols and my home-made bowling pin setup. Baljit can bring a timer and officiate as Range Master and we can have matches.
Since we are limited to one weekend, it is going to be hard to pack too many activities into two days and still have a relaxing time.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.
It would help if everyone PM'd Mark their email addresses so he could communicate any changes.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Mark wrote:
Hammerhead wrote:Gentlemen,

I will be driving with my family and few other CanadianGunNutz any way, only 2400 kilometers :lol: ,

So hit it people - Haji
Haji,

"I thought this was Indians for Guns and not Canadians for Guns! :lol:

Looking forward to meeting you in person,

Mark
Mark thanks - I'm Canadian Gun Nutz first who happens to be an Indian. And I'm so proud of my country ( CANADA ) that let me pursue my passion and it was never ever possibly possible if you just stayed Indian. No offense to my brothers back home. And Hunting .............. priceless - Haji
Last edited by Hammerhead on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Hello Guys,

I just caught up on this thread and I would love to join you guys if I can. For now, my travel plans are bringing me back home on Friday, September 21st. I may drive over Saturday morning and drive back Sunday afternoon. Its about a 7 hour drive for me according to Google maps. If I can adjust my return a bit, I would drive Friday afternoon and return Sunday afternoon.

Maybe at this time we should get a list started of who's coming and the daily/hourly schedule of activities. Maybe we keep the shooting for Saturday afternoon, fishing for Sunday morning. Maybe not plan to do too much. Just a couple/few things.

Amit, if Mark can find some dove hunting in the area, maybe you can go Saturday morning with a few lads. See if Mehul baba would join us at Mark's.

Sharief

PS: Thanks xl for getting this started.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 am

Thank's Mark and XL,i can get the flight on Thu. Sept.20 back on Monday.Please let me know what's the plan you guy's have for Thu. So i can book my flight.it this ok with you guy's?

XL,Yes indeed i'll bring the timer.It's going to be lot's fun.

Mark,I agree with Haji because i am also Canadian gun Nuts and Indian.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in person.

Baljit

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:32 am

Yes, I think, we MUST make room for a dove hunt on our schedule. It will be a fun event with IFGians!

Mark, any possible venues on or off your property we can hunt doves?

Cheers,
Amit

HSharief wrote:Hello Guys,

I just caught up on this thread and I would love to join you guys if I can. For now, my travel plans are bringing me back home on Friday, September 21st. I may drive over Saturday morning and drive back Sunday afternoon. Its about a 7 hour drive for me according to Google maps. If I can adjust my return a bit, I would drive Friday afternoon and return Sunday afternoon.

Maybe at this time we should get a list started of who's coming and the daily/hourly schedule of activities. Maybe we keep the shooting for Saturday afternoon, fishing for Sunday morning. Maybe not plan to do too much. Just a couple/few things.

Amit, if Mark can find some dove hunting in the area, maybe you can go Saturday morning with a few lads. See if Mehul baba would join us at Mark's.

Sharief

PS: Thanks xl for getting this started.

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 am

I will make some inquiries and post back here.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi guy's any new update on this meet ?

Baljit

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am

To recap-

The meet is officially Sept 22 and 23, you are welcome to stay longer if you wish.

No real official agenda right now, it sounds like a group will be going to Bass pro and Cabelas on Saturday morning.

Amit (Conty1) is wanting to dove hunt, I have asked a couple local hunters (I'm not a dove hunter myself) but I have not heard anything back yet. Other than that, 70 yard range with a shooting table available whenever someone feels like using it. Plenty of places to set up a shorter handgun range.

Nothing committed in regards to food, I have a nice cooking facility and one thing I would like to have is for anyone who wants to prepare a traditional dish please do so. We'll prepare some traditional N. American Indian food for a meal or two as well.

Fishing can be arranged too no problem.

That's about it right now, feel free to make suggestions!

Mark

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Ok, let's drop the dove hunting idea guys. I don't think it is going to work out, but that's alright. Let's plan on doing some fishing instead!!

And, do we really want to go to Cabela's or Bass Pro? I mean I am sure we can find one of these closer to wherever we live!! I really don't see the point in going as a group. But again, if that's the consensus, I am game.

Finally, Mark, how much is it going to be per person?

Cheers,
Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Amit,
We do have some non-US residents coming to this meet. They have requested this chance to see some of the big chain sports stores, etc. The chance to see a Cabelas or similar store is not something that they have where they are located. Even then, a short visit like one morning is barely going to scratch the surface of a store like that.

Guys,
Another thing that we have to consider, as Amit brought up, is that Mark is very generously giving us a place to hold this meet, we can't expect him to feed us too. We should set up a small fund to pay for the food.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 pm

A bit late getting here, but yes, food and drinks should be shared by all of us.
Some wing shooting would be absolutely great.
That dove shooting sounds good!
Fingers crossed.
A
To Excellence through Diligence.