Of Glocks, MP5s and AK-47s

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Of Glocks, MP5s and AK-47s

Post by Olly » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Standing from morning to evening, tied to a mast so that I don't fall from grace, I witness many guys come and go with guns and ammo boxes in hand. These guys seem to have an undying spirit to shoot - the sun doesn't affect them and neither does rain or snow - they come and go. And I bear the brunt of their wrath with holes shot into me from different guns of different calibres, standing, kneeling and prone. I hear their excited talk when they are able to hit groups into my head, chest or abdomen and love to change my clothes when they've pierced me enough and I look like a ragged and tattered doll. Why me, I sometimes ask.

Just the other day, I was kind of surprised to see two new faces amongst the group of regulars. This happened to be a father and son duo who had come on a visit. They looked menacingly towards me as if they had some past-life enmity with me, while I stood in silence - waiting for the hot lead. I could see that these two had enthusiasm written all over them and their hands seemed to be itching to get hold of the guns lying on the canvas and freak out. From what I can recollect, besides others, there were a couple of Glocks - 17 and 26, a couple of MP5s and a couple of AK-47s. Ammo lay around in boxes with rangers filling up magazines for the upcoming shooting binge.

I didn't have to wait long before these two gents started off. It was the younger one who initiated the first wave with the Glock 17, followed by the much smaller Glock 26. Although about 20-25 yards away, I could see the young one handling the pistol quite well. With many hands around to help and an incessant flow of advice on techniques, he seemed confident enough, although some anxiety betrayed him as he racked the slide of the Glock for the first time. The pistol jumped in his hands as the 9mm round exited the barrel, aimed at my chest. I shuddered as the bullet pierced me, a little off from where he had intended to hit, making me believe that the 15 year old was shooting a Glock for the first time and it would take a few more rounds for him to stabilise himself. Wow, he exclaimed loudly, amidst the clapping, and look around admiring himself as if he had just done a courageous feat. Later ofcourse, he did fairly well with the MP5 too, except that he was sweating with apprehension and excitement.

Next, it was the turn of the Dad to try out his first shots. Now this guy kind-of knew much more about the guns, but had a volley of questions for the rangers around him. Maybe he had read a lot about them, but had not yet played with them still. He wanted to know all - the three modes: single shot, 3 round burst and the full auto; the scenario in which each particular gun was used, the caliber of each gun, the usage of the gun - as a primary weapon or as a backup etc. etc. He only stopped questioning when he shot off his first volley with the MP5. Poor me, I got them all in the head this time - the hot 9mm rounds. Very mean of this guy, as apparently he didn't want me to witness his firing of the Glocks and the AK ! In much pain with my head and chest shot out and on my last legs, I did overhear him appreciating the fineness of the MP5. No recoil and dead accurate - said he, in jubilation, as if he had won a war ! Next, although he seemed to be a veteran with the Glock 17, the 26 was drawing his apprehension as he discovered he could only wrap 2 fingers around the grip with one on the trigger. Strange, he exclaimed, as he tried out newer and newer stances of holding the pistol. The 15 or so rounds saw the pistol jumping around, much to his amusement and later he agreed with others in appreciating the small baby of a pistol and its immense usefulness as a concealed ankle-carry secondary weapon. Overall, he was the most impressed with the AK-47 and couldn't stop praising the ruggedness and reliability of the rifle, adding phrases of admiration for the Austrians, Germans and Russians !

By now, even the sun had had enough of these two and decided that the best way to retire them and bring peace to area, was by setting. And lo ! soon there was talk of packing up, counting empties and stiff shoulders with animated expressions of happiness and accomplishment. I did manage to overhear something about a Black Label, which I was sure wasn't just some kind of label; but on discussing with my fellow buddies tied to adjacent masts, I got to know that this stuff was what men took to calm their nerves after a day-out in this area.

As all departed I became sad but also happy to see that despite all odds, people still have appreciation for guns and shooting, and how the elders make it a point to introduce their younger ones to this passion. With those thoughts, battered and torn as I was, I closed my eyes and to await a new awakening next morning...

I write from a different perspective, focussing on just the interest for guns and shooting. Pictures stand appropriately modified to protect the innocent. The place is somewhere in the hills with lots of barren land and earthen backstops. All shooting was in a controlled environment and complied with all safety norms.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Of Glocks, MP5s and AK-47s

Post by Baljit » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Wow , very nice written OLLY and pictures as well, i love it keep it up . :cheers:

Baljit

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by renjith747 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Shooting MP5s and AK-47 is in dreams as we live in India.Else one have to play Call Of Duty Modern Warfare .. :D
Like the post and pics.Happy shooting...... :cheers:

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Shooting MP5s and AK-47 is in dreams as we live in India.
Olly does live in India.

Great Photos Olly. Looks like the young guy had a blast.
Thanks for sharing.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ramtiger
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ramtiger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:49 am

renjith747 wrote:Shooting MP5s and AK-47 is in dreams as we live in India.Else one have to play Call Of Duty Modern Warfare .. :D
Like the post and pics.Happy shooting...... :cheers:
:agree:
@ olly
thanks for sharing pics

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:15 am

Olly seems like you both went to the "Disney world" equivalent for gun nuts! Happy to see the young one take to it :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:53 am

Oye were you taking it on the chin from the MP5? Or are my eyes worse than I thought :-). Great post naturally I wring my hands in envy. :mrgreen:
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks guys... !

The MP5 does not have any recoil... it shoots simple and straight ! I might also add here that it is difficult to aim with precision maybe because it was designed as a 'burst-fire' weapon...

The young one simply freaked out... and I was happy as a Dad to have been able to provide for this experience !!

:cheers:

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 pm

thats one helluva of a outing :D

Lovely pics, thanks for sharing and fantastic narration, very different 8) , loved it

Ganesh TT
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ganesh TT » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:26 pm

nice pics...thanks for sharing and happy shooting
Thanks

GANESH TT

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks guys ! I wish every shooting enthusiast gets a chance to lay his hands upon these fabulous guns !

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for sharing.What is it with the halo effect,though? A new way to shoot the MP5 certainly.Next time try the 'gangsta style' :D In your photo with your son,it seems you are pointing at his stomach.Must be photographic compression,for sure.

I see that the security chaps are still using crappy KF 9mm ammo in their 'sophisticated' firearms.Any case splits?

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Yaa, looks like photographic compression, for if I am pointing the Glock at my son, then here is Abhijeet trying to blow my head off, while I and Dev go after Sanjay ! :twisted:

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1692

Holding the MP5 was a bit of an issue as it was difficult to figure out whether to hold it and fire it like a pistol or a rifle... I guess the best is to hold at waist level and open 'burst fire' !! :)

Yes, it was the crappy 9mm KF ammo and due to the adrenaline rush, I did not bother to check for case splits... :P

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Hai where did you get all those toys? Looks like my wet dream.
BTW why would you use KF ammo when you are in good ol' USA? AFAIK you can buy ammo there as a tourist.
Speaking of how to hold a MP5, you extend the folding stock for better accuracy holding it like rifle and for just pot shooting [Self censorship].
Last edited by Priyan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:12 am

Ah, sorry about that. I was just trying to be funny. I was on a forum where these types of things are OK and posted here without thinking. Maybe the silly kid self of me is still active.
OP edited now.
When I'll get to shoot a gun?