Pest control party on the 1st

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Pest control party on the 1st

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Here comes a subject that's sure to attract a few brickbats... ;)

The way is was is this - I have a small farm in south Delhi which a few chaps rent out to grow exotic vegetables for the local Delhi market. For the past few weeks I'd been getting requests from them to come and help them with the local crow menace which was affecting their crop in a big way.

I made a few phone calls to a couple of friends and early (for me) Saturday morning the three crow bashers drove in to the rescue :D

The equipment was a BSA Comet (aka Meteor Mk VII) in .22 cal and an AirArms TX200HC in .22 cal. Pellets used were JSB Exact Jumbos

Damn those crows are smart... two disappointed faces... :P

Two successful pest control "officers"... :D

The morning started out predictably enough, with only one of us reaching on time and sitting around twiddling his thumbs while the other two lazy asses landed up at the designated rendezvous. Blessedly, this time I wasn't the early bird :) Once we finally reached our destination, there wasn't much chit chat, each one of us pretty much picked up his piece of equipment and went out looking to open his account.

Rest I'll leave to the other two gents to add...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:42 pm

3 guys and 2 rifles... :S

mundaire";p="58454 wrote: Here comes a subject that's sure to attract a few brickbats... ;)
.. No comments :)
.. 2 add, my wife's farm land near Udupi has a similar problem of crows, for which they effectively use catapults :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

yash3_great

Re: Pest control party on the 1st

Post by yash3_great » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Awesome guys.... How many did you land finally? And where are them cold cans :P

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:07 am

I was the early bird this time (was long due), but I didn't have to wear out my thumbs waiting as the other two civil gents promptly turned up with two crow bashers in tow and a new buddy.

No cold cans this time round, but who says you need cold cans all the time to have fun. This time it was a split second program with a few quick calls. Yours truly took a day off from work (yep I do work the odd Saturday on request :cry:, but this wasn't going to be one of them blasted Saturday's :twisted: ).Ze Snipey-Minkey completely forgot about turning up :? . We had a new buddy in Krypto :D , Dev's golden retriever who couldn't have enough of the open farm. He promptly pummeled the neighborhood strays into submission, only when the sensei frowned did he relent.

The BSA was the first one that we started with, a new scope was mounted on the black break barrel beauty and after a few tweaks it was zeroed and shooting pretty. It cleaned up quite a few black bombers. The TX as usual was in stupendous form, bringing down another handful with ease. What these buggers thought of as a safe taunt range, wasn't safe anymore.

But there's one thing we would be need during future pest control drives, its a proper hide. Without one the keen and sly black bombers spot you from a mile away and after the initial downed flyers they tend to keep away. Barring the odd scouts (poor grunts) one came in to grief once :twisted: they kept away for the latter part of the day. So we decided to call it quits. But it was good fun and that too for a good cause.

cheerio
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:31 am

Good show, guys.Nice way to spend a weekend. :D

I,too, went to shoot some pesky clay birds yesterday.Damn things.Kept flying away.Couldn't hit a thing.Drats. :evil:

OUP, very nice to be able to put a face to a name. :D

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:52 am

Nice guys the Baltimore Ravens are having so so season this year.

Cheers

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:39 pm

TenX";p="58459 wrote: 3 guys and 2 rifles... :S

Waal let's just say there was one more rifle but it wasn't deemed right. We are never under gunned ye see. But the problem was that in a fit of boredom I had stripped the QB for cleaning the barrel o-rings and bluing parts of the barrel that had acquired some glue on them. And by the time work wore the week out, I had no patience left to put it together.
So we managed to all land up at the farm pretty close to schedule. We started with the normal plinking to check zeroes and all and then we sighted the enemy.

But the viet cong was pretty clued in to our movements and ensured that we had to work at our sniping skills. They quietly wormed away to 35-50 yards and took up positions. But our one shot one kill exponents had figured out a few tricks too. That crows couldn't count and so if three went to a tree and two backed away. They forgot the lone sniper.

This error of their ways (though I sympathised as I can only count with my fingers and toes) resulted in a whack and a thud about five times. The surprising part was the no frills rifle the BSA accounted very well for itself.

It looks all plasticky and all but i the crows never cried," Naa naa I'm not hit...not with that plastic airgun." So while half a dozen were er harvested my mind went back to old Red Indian saying," You shoot what you can't eat? :-)"

So after a good few hours which reminded me of my childhood days, we remembered that we had to go back and work hard at our facade of being sane human beings ;-). And so dispersed till next time.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Zenbon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Zenbon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Looks like you guys had a great time... makes an interersting read too... keep them coming!! :D

few hours shut eye on the rope cot would have been a great finishing touch! :wink:
If you always think about your Future, your Present will become your Past! - Zenbon