Enfield Club !

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Enfield Club !

Post by mundaire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Ah, well... from the perspective of someone who has owned and ridden bullets all his life - from the late 50's/ early 60's batches of "original" Royal Enfield Bullets (built mostly with Brit parts/ dies) up till the mid 90's production of the very first 12V 350cc Enfield India bullets: I have this to say:

There is really only one original, and that is the 350cc bullet with the 6 volt electrics! The sound from the engine is entirely different from what the modern breed produces and they can be started even with a completely flat battery! The damn things used to be built so rugged that I've used one for more than one "off road" outing without any complaints whatsoever!

Of course the older bullets used to have a slightly complicated rear wheel assembly which meant that a rear flat wasn't something that could be dealt by any ordinary roadside chappie, but that was easily fixed by changing a few parts in favour of the modern avatars.

You buy a bullet for the ride and above all the SOUND... nothing sounds quite like that big single (push rod) four stroke engine... and the new ones completely fail on this count! :P

Just my $0.02 worth...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:40 am

I have to agree with you on this...
The oldies have an aura around them, and placing your behind on the slim seats for a long ride results in certain vibrations that none of the newer versions can produce, The concoction of sound, vibration and raw power is a tribute to the motor mechanics!
However over designed it may feel. the simple rugged feeling that it beckons is unparalleled.... Something like 'Ride it to believe it!' :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 am

TenX wrote:The concoction of sound, vibration and raw power is a tribute to the motor mechanics!
)
I would overlook that raw power bit.LOL.

I drove miles and miles on my trusty steed for years and how I miss it!I ''gave'' it to a friend of mine who always wanted a Bullet before I came to UK. In my student days, it kept me in penury,guzzling copious amounts of fuel.I refused to switch to any other than the Bullet. I was waiting for my bus here the other day ,suddenly my ears perked up and the next moment an immaculately maintained Enfield Bullet thundered past me.Music.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

mundaire wrote:Ah, well... from the perspective of someone who has owned and ridden bullets all his life - from the late 50's/ early 60's batches of "original" Royal Enfield Bullets (built mostly with Brit parts/ dies) up till the mid 90's production of the very first 12V 350cc Enfield India bullets: I have this to say:

There is really only one original, and that is the 350cc bullet with the 6 volt electrics! The sound from the engine is entirely different from what the modern breed produces and they can be started even with a completely flat battery! The damn things used to be built so rugged that I've used one for more than one "off road" outing without any complaints whatsoever!

Of course the older bullets used to have a slightly complicated rear wheel assembly which meant that a rear flat wasn't something that could be dealt by any ordinary roadside chappie, but that was easily fixed by changing a few parts in favour of the modern avatars.

You buy a bullet for the ride and above all the SOUND... nothing sounds quite like that big single (push rod) four stroke engine... and the new ones completely fail on this count! :P

Just my $0.02 worth...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Ah......... thats straight from someone who knows his.....Bullets :lol:

Still riding my 98CI Machismo.. use to have a 76 Standard which i foolishly sold to get the chrome beast. Was looking for a 500CI till recently but given up hope now...thanks to recession and sky rocketing price of 500CI's :(

Par jo bhi hai ....................Yeh Bullet meri jaa manzillon ka nishaa....

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:31 pm

Has anyone tried K&N Filters in their Bullets??

http://knfilters.in/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

peacecracker
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by peacecracker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:20 am

Many are positive with K&N.Head to team-bhp ,there some guy even tried bullet "twin-spark" mod!. :P

While Had the bullet ,I did few simple modifications for smooth cruising.like using Phosphor Bronze Valve Guides,using Adjustable Cam Spindles etc.Many Expert Bullet Mechanics are aware of these modifications.
Banglore based Mr.Guru Nandan's Article will be useful.He has a Workshop there in Banglore.not much knows about their services;but he even "teaches" self repairing.
Read:
http://www.cybersteering.com/cruise/fea ... ullet.html
http://www.nandanmotors.com/
Bulletech:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bulletech/

Happy Riding!

fatehpal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by fatehpal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:18 am

8)
Last edited by fatehpal on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:29 am

Thats a wonderful trip dude.. hope you enjoyed it as much as my imagination from seeing your pics :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------