Help needed for a newbie..

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
policepatrol
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Help needed for a newbie..

Post by policepatrol » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Hello everyone
Very happy to see a lot of people interested in guns here. I'm an engineer in a govt company APGENCO. I have read few topics here about acquiring gun license. But i personally feel there is no conclusion on certain topics. If any one starts a thread here,after the discussions made on the forum the moderator or the expert conclusion should be made to make the new people to jump to a conclusion. May be there are few threads with conclusion.i have not read the site completely. pardon if I'm wrong.
Secondly, I want to get a gun license. I stay at kothagudem [its a muncipal corporation]in Khammam district,Andhrapradesh. I love guns and wanted to own one for me. If would be grateful if any one can answer these for me.
1. Do we need to apply for the arms license after buying the gun or purchase it after getting the license?
2. How far does an IOF pistol shoots?
3. To whom should i submit the application and which type of form should i take?
4. i have no life threat and i'm not with big property.so which cause should i show? can i show it as target practise ? i feel that the chances of rejecting are more if i show it as target practise. I feel as they think its foolish to own a gun for practise. what should i do to increase the chances of granting license?

I guess these type of questions have been answered before but i shall be grateful if anyone can answer me point wise.

Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Help needed for a newbie..

Post by vikram.dutta » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Hello policepatrol,

I am no expert in legal matters, but I think I can help you with some of your queries.

Firstly go through the topic "Applying for an Arms License in India" in the Legal Eagle section. Here is the link http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=504 This thread should answer almost all your queries.

Now coming to your queries point wise:

1. Rule is : You apply for a licence, get the licence and then purchase the weapon.
2. This link should provide you the details about the .32" IOF pistol http://ofbindia.nic.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/4.htm
3. Application should be made to the local licencing authority of Khammam District.
4. I don't feel they think its foolish to own a gun for practice. Experienced IFG'ans will know better how to increase the chances of getting a licence granted(if there is any way :wink: )

Regards
Vikram

N.B. If you new on this forum, please post a formal introduction on the appropriate section "Introduction & Welcomes", so that everyone can welcome you formally.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:08 pm

1. Do we need to apply for the arms license after buying the gun or purchase it after getting the license?
You have to get arms license first, only then you can buy the gun, else you may land in prison for violating Arms Act 1959.
2. How far does an IOF pistol shoots?
There are many variables like the skill of the shooter, is he trying to shoot to kill a human or trying to burst a rubber balloon? Going by the data at IOF website(http://ofbindia.nic.in/products/data/am ... /sc/12.htm) it appears the cartridge starts loosing accuracy after around 30 yards. I do not think you will be able to shoot accurately at 30 yards or even 5-10 yards without good and regular practice. But this does not mean that the stray cartridge is non lethal beyond 30-40 yards.
3. To whom should i submit the application and which type of form should i take?
To the Licensing Authority that has jurisdiction over your residence to grant license. Usually it is the District Magistrate/Deputy Commissioner of your district. You can use this application form http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/arms_licence.pdf
4. i have no life threat and I'm not with big property.so which cause should i show? can i show it as target practice ? i feel that the chances of rejecting are more if i show it as target practice. I feel as they think its foolish to own a gun for practice. what should i do to increase the chances of granting license?
Getting arms license is not a question of "threat" or "need" etc., it is your legal right. You do not have to be under a "threat" or own "big property" etc. to get arms license. People need to safe-guard against random acts of violence. Need for self defense can arise anytime, anyplace without any prior warning. Nobody can be expected to have premonitions about impeding "threats" etc. Applying for arms license is your legal right. Self defense is your fundamental right guaranteed under Article 21 of Constitution. When you apply for firearm license for self defense, your legal right and constitutional right get closely inter related, hence license cannot be denied on any vague or flimsy grounds by any licensing authority. This opinion has also been upheld by Courts. For details please read AP High Court judgment: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=15 Moreover one of the objectives of Arms Act 1959, clearly states that "weapons for self defense are available for all citizens under license unless their antecedents or propensities do not entitle them for the privilege"
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vikram.dutta » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:21 pm

@ goodboy_mentor : Sir, you have answered the queries quite thoroughly. Very informative. I also tried to contribute to IFG by putting in my effort. :oops:

Regards
Vikram

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:30 pm

I am not a "Sir" just an ordinary citizen. Nothing to feel embarrassed, everyone's contribution is equally valuable. Please feel free to post. :)
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vikram.dutta » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Thank you. :cheers:

policepatrol
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by policepatrol » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Thankyou vikram and goodboy_mentor for your answers and valuable time. I'll check the previous posts and wire back again if i have any doubts..

Regards.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi policepatrol,

Welcome to IFG!

I agree with you that that there are some burning issues/topics that do not have a sure shot, conclusive answer on this forum. However, I think this can be attributed to the very ambiguity of some the Indian Regulations; this is further compounded by the various interpretations that local authorities feel free to make of these rules. Grrr.... :evil:

@ goodboy_mentor: I like your very, thorough, to the point replies, with links - truly helpful and impressive! :D Way to go!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

policepatrol
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by policepatrol » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Thank you kalyan. goodboy_mentor seems very helpful and his his answers were very clear and easy to understand even for new people like me.

-- Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:52 pm --

I read that weapons were classified as PB and NPB categories in the forum. can any one let me know

which type of weapons come under NPB category?

Is the IOF only valid company for indian civilians to supply arms and ammunition? or even beretta and colt can be used?

regards

-- Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:09 pm --

What is the minimum age required to get the arms license? My son is 21 now. can he apply for an arms license?

regards

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:55 pm

@ goodboy_mentor: I like your very, thorough, to the point replies, with links - truly helpful and impressive! :D
Thank You :)
I read that weapons were classified as PB and NPB categories in the forum. can any one let me know
which type of weapons come under NPB category?
There is lot of prevailing confusion between prohibited arms, prohibited ammunition and prohibited bore arms/ammunition and non prohibited bore arms/ammunition. Let me try to explain:

Prohibited Arms: As per Arms Act 1959, Sec. 2(1)(i) "prohibited arms" means---

(i) firearms so designed or adapted that, if pressure is applied to the trigger, missiles continue to be discharged until pressure is removed from the trigger or the magazine containing the missiles is empty, or

(ii) weapons of any description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other such thing, and includes artillery, anti-aircraft and anti-tank firearms and such other arms as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify to be prohibited arms;

Prohibited Ammunition: As per Arms Act 1959, Sec. 2(1)(h) "prohibited ammunition" means any ammunition containing, or designed or adapted to contain, any noxious liquid, gas or other such thing, and includes rockets, bombs, grenades, shells, articles designed for torpedo service and submarine mining and such other articles as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify to be prohibited ammunition;

Reference: http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india ... r_1_2.html

Prohibited Bore Arms: Arms in Arms Rules 1962 SCHEDULE -I category I(b) and I(c) falls in prohibited bore arms.

Prohibited Bore Ammunition: Ammunition for arms in Arms Rules 1962 SCHEDULE -I category I(b) and I(c) falls in prohibited bore ammunition.

Non Prohibited Bore Arms: Arms in Arms Rules 1962 Schedule I Category III falls in non prohibited bore arms.

Non Prohibited Bore Ammunition: Ammunition for arms in Arms Rules 1962 Schedule I Category III falls in non prohibited bore ammunition.

Reference: http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india ... ule_I.html

Contrary to the popular perception and belief, PB arms/ammunition do not have any extra "power" or ballistic properties over NPB arms/ammunition. Example:
1) 9 mm parabellum made by IOFB is PB and .357 Magnum is NPB. .357 Magnum is much more powerful than 9 mm
2) 7.62*39 mm of AK 47 is PB, 7.62* 51 mm used in SLRs is PB but 7.62*63 mm(30-06) is NBP. 7.62*63 mm is much more powerful than 7.62*39 mm of AK 47 and also slightly more powerful than 7.62*51 mm

PB/NPB is the legacy of the British Raj. It was done by them to ensure that Armed forces and civilians have different bores for their firearms. Purpose: In event of any mutiny the ammunition looted from government armories does not fire from civilian firearms. All modern day democratic countries, encourage their citizens to keep firearms in same caliber as armed forces so that in event of hostilities/war, there is no logistical problem for manufacture and supply of arms/ammunition. This PB/NPB concept is the irrelevant in free India, unfortunately this discrimination is still continuing and it is still there in Arms Rules 1962 because of the ignorance and apathy of bureaucrats.
Is the IOF only valid company for indian civilians to supply arms and ammunition? or even beretta and colt can be used?
IOF is the only legal manufacturer in India for rifles/pistols/revolvers and their ammunition. It also manufactures 12 bore shotgun cartridges. Only 12 bore shotguns and their ammunition is legally manufactured by private companies in India. Import of firearms/ammunition is on restricted list of EXIM policy. Practically speaking only "renowned shots" and Indians under "Transfer of Residency" can only bring in arms/ammunition from abroad. For details please refer: http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 79&start=0
What is the minimum age required to get the arms license? My son is 21 now. can he apply for an arms license?
Yes he can apply.
Last edited by goodboy_mentor on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:37 am

Thanks very much policepatrol Gaaru!

You have a son who is 21 yrs old? Your age on your handle 'policepatrol' and profile says - 21 - perhaps, you sort of registered on your son's details? Just curious - no offence meant! :D

Again, very exemplary replies from goodboy_mentor - kudos mate! BTW your location = NCR, had got me stumped for a while till I Googled it - National Capital Region around Delhi, including Haryana, Rajasthan, and UP! Phew - I really am out of touch with my homeland?! :(
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:28 am

we can help our selves by getting a copy of Arms Act and rules and reading it.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

tonysilas
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tonysilas » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Yes...i agree with you nagaraifle. But where can we get it?
‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Yes...i agree with you nagaraifle. But where can we get it?
The complete links for http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/ are already there, in my last post above. If you want the latest copy of Arms Act, you can also download from here: http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/arms%20act-1959.pdf