License Exemption for Defence Personnel

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: is license required to members of Indian Armed Forces

Post by Risala » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:54 am

pdn70";p="42601 wrote:
penpusher";p="42596 wrote:pdn70,

An officer of the armed forces does not require a license to keep a handgun as long as he is in service.A similar query has already been answered earlier.

thanks buddy, that's alright ,but how can one procure an IOF pistol or revolver without a valid arms license? can any body answer?
Defense Services officers usually keep a personal weapon without a Lic that has been issued by the Ordinance Branch via the COD Jabalpur.Wpns issued from COD are called NSP wpns.
However while in service one can keep a personal fire arm re hand gun without lic even if not issued from the COD.
On retiring from service he or she would have to apply for a lic and have the same endorsed on it/
To apply for and be issued an IOF rev or Pistol from the OFB even a offr from the armed forces would require a lic.

penpusher is correct this Q has been answered earlier look arround.

For Advertising mail webmaster
guncrazy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by guncrazy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:19 am

Army or in that case any commissioned officer can keep a weapon i.e, rifle/pistol/revolver which is declared in records and verified by the commanding officer secondly Officer's/JCO's can apply for any particular bore to MGO branch through proper channel and after the committee at OS-15A branch approves the availability and the seniority the issue orders are notified to COD jabalpur, the Officer/JCO can collect the same from COD jabalpur, in case of JCO's licence for the particular weapon is required in case of officer he can keep it on the issue note till the time he is serving before his retirement if he wishes to keep the weapon he has to get it endorsed on the licence procured please refer to DSR the para's are mentioned in the links mentioned above, for procurement of IOF pistol/revolver/rifle he has to pay the price as per the civil market and before that he has to get a valid licence from civil authorities no matter he is an officer or a JCO and Dear Sanjay congrats on becoming IFG guru but half gyan is always considered dangerous :oops:

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:57 am

Guncrazy,
Thanks for filling in the details,it been 16 yrs since I quit so the memory is kind of hazy :)
I did carry a hand gun while in service without a lic,the relevant DSR Para's are 944 & 945.
Good to see you after such a long time & do post more often.
Cheers

guncrazy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by guncrazy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 am

I am not so regular watching IFG after that yellow card episode but I am in touch with Abhijit I wrote coz the info you gave was from you and I don't want one of us to be embarrased have fun :wink:

pdn70
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pdn70 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:14 pm

thanks sukhbir, sanjay,Guncrazy.
I think that the invention of the Bullet is the most remarkable event in the history of mankind. It has the power to ensure both Humanity and Inhumanity.

REGARDS, PDN.

pdn70
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pdn70 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:36 pm

hi abhijit,
my friend also had a long pending query for the same. Thanks for such de.scriptive answer. U are adroitly genius. i am highly impressed. thanks.
I think that the invention of the Bullet is the most remarkable event in the history of mankind. It has the power to ensure both Humanity and Inhumanity.

REGARDS, PDN.

wingcosethi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: License Exemption for Defence Personnel

Post by wingcosethi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:32 am

The relevant letter for the exemption of license for defense officers. One fact the I was not aware of was that the retired officer is exempted from paying the license fees for the gun.

Govt of India vide notification GSR 991 dated 13 July 1962, had excluded certain personnel of the armed forces from operation of certain provisions of the Arms Act.
Armed Forces personnel under the said notification are entitled to hold arms and ammunition provided by the govt or regimental funds for sporting purposes without license. Such personnel have to be issued a pass by their CO for the purpose.
Armed Forces personnel and ex-servicemen are also exempted from paying fee for an Arms license and also the renewal fee for the same.
All such exemptions are explicitly mentioned under the Arms Act & notifications issued under it and details are available with the authorities competent to issue Arms’ licenses