RTI on P & NP Bore with Home Dept, Govt of Maharashtra

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

RTI on P & NP Bore with Home Dept, Govt of Maharashtra

Post by ruger_rugged » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Gurus,
After a long battle and lengthy process of appeal, I have been granted a licence for a Revolver. I would like to thank all you guys for your continuous support. Now I am planning to write a RTI asking Home Deptt, Govt of Maharashtra clarifying its position on Prohibited and Non-Prohibited Bore in Maharashtra. As you guys know there are dual standards for various calibers. For example:
1) .357 Magnum and .38 Special is a NP Bore in Delhi, Punjab, Harayana etc etc whereas it is PB Bore in Maharashtra. Why?
2) 45 ACP is NP Bore in Mumbai whereas it is PB in rest of Maharashtra. Why?

I would like to ask them on what basis they decided that .357 & .38 Spl is PB and how does 45 ACP is in two categories in the same state.

As per Arms Rules 1962

Prohibited Bore - Everything included in Schedule I Category I(b) and I(c)

Non Prohibited Bore - Everything included Schedule I Category III

Therefore as per definition all those calibers that don't belong to prohibited family are NP Bore. I would like to ask them for a list of all the Prohibited Calibers and all those which are capable of chambering and firing Prohibited ammunition.

Gurus please advise.

I am based in Pune, MH and would appreciate if you guys wanna join me so that we

straighten up the babus. :deadhorse:

I look forward to you guys especially from Pune, Thane and Mumbai for support on this.

:cheers:
Last edited by ruger_rugged on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
SYED833
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: RTI on P & NP Bore with Home Dept, Govt of Maharashtra

Post by SYED833 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:15 pm

congrats on your acquiring the licence..do tell us more about the appeal process when you have time..
regards..
syed.

ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ruger_rugged » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:13 pm

SYED833 wrote:congrats on your acquiring the licence..do tell us more about the appeal process when you have time..
regards..
syed.
That is a really long story. It took me about 1 year from applying till final approval (including rejection and appeal etc etc). I am also planning to write an article in News Paper with the tittle
"Story of a Handgun Licence Application" or something more appropriate tittle. Gurus please suggest?

:cheers:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Yes you are absolutely correct that:

Prohibited Bore - Everything included in Schedule I Category I(b) and I(c)

Non Prohibited Bore - Everything included Schedule I Category III

This is very clearly also available at http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=538 but for some reasons these bureaucrats are not able to understand. Please note that bureaucrats always try their best to delay and deny the information even when asked for under RTI Act 2005. For this they always look for loopholes in the RTI application under which they can find excuses to deny information. I would suggest to keep the RTI application very short and precisely to the point so that they have no room for misinterpretation, delay and denial. Avoid any interrogatory questions, since they are not within preview of RTI Act 2005. Keep question limited to seeking certified "copies" of "information". I am providing a sample application, please feel free to modify to suit your purpose.

Request for information as per RTI Act 2005

As per our Constitution's SEVENTH SCHEDULE, (Article 246)
List I—Union, List 5. Arms, firearms, ammunition and explosives are under the Central Government. Please provide me certified copies of the following:

1) Information under Arms Act 1959, Arms Rules 1962 defining the meaning of prohibited bore and listing of individual prohibited bores till the date of your reply to this application made under RTI Act 2005.

2) Any additional information received by your office from the Central Government for the purpose of listing of individual prohibited bores to further the objectives of Arms Act 1959, Arms Rules 1962 till the date of your reply to this application made under RTI Act 2005.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ruger_rugged » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Thank You Goodboy_mentor

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:44 pm

You are welcome.
"I am also planning to write an article in News Paper with the tittle Story of a Handgun Licence Application" or something more appropriate tittle. Gurus please suggest?
The common perception among the most people including the media is that getting arms license is not a matter of right but some "threat", "need" etc. It would also be educative to the readers of your story, if in your story, you could put in information from http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 85#p117785
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ruger_rugged » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:59 pm

"I am also planning to write an article in News Paper with the tittle Story of a Handgun Licence Application" or something more appropriate tittle. Gurus please suggest?
The common perception among the most people including the media is that getting arms license is not a matter of right but some "threat", "need" etc. It would also be educative to the readers of your story, if in your story, you could put in information from http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 85#p117785[/quote]

Surely will.

1 more question. Can I ask in my RTI application that I will personally come to pick up the reply? Coz u know these babus they may send me an empty envelope?
I want to make sure that I get this information.

Actually I personally went to the section in Home Dept that handles these matters. To my surprise I came to know that the babus did not know any thing about it and I was pissed off at this. The truth is that these babus are not loyal to their jobs. They are not trained as they should have been coz the ones training them are also untrained and this is a viscous circle. For decades the babus in these high offices have been working without full and proper training. We will have to wake these babus out of this deep slumber of DECADES. :deadhorse:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Can I ask in my RTI application that I will personally come to pick up the reply?
Of course, you can surely write this in your RTI application that you will personally come and receive the reply for your application done under RTI Act 2005. You will be able to personally receive the certified copies in person. Also please do not forget to write on the top of your application "Application under RTI Act 2005" because I have read an experience of one applicant, where the PIO received such application(without any mention of "Application under RTI Act 2005") and on 29th day after receiving the application, he was not able to understand that the application has been made under RTI Act 2005 passed by our parliament and declined to provide the information because of this. :shock:

ankur_ank
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ankur_ank » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi there.
I'm a resident of lucknow n hv been refused 2 times for the license of pistol n a .22 bore rifle,i dnt knw why.Is there any way through which i cn obtain a licence(Edited-Moderator),as in the current political situation in U.P. it is nearly impossible to get one.
I've also heared that it's cumpulsory to grant a licence of a .22LR to a member of a recognized rifle club within 1 month even if the police varification is pending.Plz assist me what should i do to get a gun permit....

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm a resident of lucknow n hv been refused 2 times for the license of pistol n a .22 bore rifle,i dnt knw why
As per Arms Act 1959, Section 14(3) whenever firearm license is refused, licensing authority is supposed to provide the reason in writing if demanded. Did you demand reasons for refusal in writing? Please refer: http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india ... r_3_4.html
It is really unfortunate that you are paying money for something that is your right. It is every citizen's right to obtain an arms license unless he is disqualified, like committed heinous crimes etc. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a natural right, a human right, a fundamental right. It is a fundamental right guaranteed by Constitution under Articles 19 and 21. I have tried to explain this at http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 15#p117785
.Is there any way through which i cn obtain a licence,as in the current political situation in U.P. it is nearly impossible to get one.
Political situation cannot dictate whether you can enjoy your right or not. First please obtain in writing from the licensing authority why you have been refused license.