Delhi Arms License Rejected

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Delhi Arms License Rejected

Post by nagarifle » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:34 pm

mundaire wrote:Sumit, as per the new rules (in force for a few years now) you cannot participate in any competition organised by NRAI unless you have a Shooter's ID card. This has NOTHING to do with being/ not being an NRAI member.

The process for this is fairly straight forward - you fill out the Shooter ID card form (with photograph) and deposit it with your State Association OR have it endorsed by the State Association and deposit it with NRAI. A small processing fee is charged (maybe a 100-200 bucks, don't recall the exact figure). They process the forms every few weeks and send the Shooter ID Card to your State Association OR if you keep following up with them - you can go pick it up directly from the NRAI office.

Here too (for Shooter ID Card), having a State/ District Association membership is required while an NRAI membership will NOT help a whit as the application HAS TO be endorsed by a State body.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
sorry for hijacking the thread.
Abhijeet could you please advice if one wants a shooters card and is a member of NARI but if there happens to be no state assoc. what should one do? many thanks in advace, (offer you beer but last i heard you wer fasting from it ROTFL )
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:02 pm

I figured I'd post pictures of my new acquisition here. Its a Mauser HSc in .32 ACP. The gun belonged to a friend who had barely used it and is in excellent condition.
photo (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nm
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by nm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Congrats!!!

It's pristine....
You are lucky to have a friend like him :)

NM

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:10 pm

nm wrote:Congrats!!!

It's pristine....
You are lucky to have a friend like him :)

NM
Thanks. I actually had an arms dealer tell me that the barrel is 'fake' since he has never seen one in such a good condition. A quick look at the proof marks and he thought otherwise :D

When are you taking me shooting?

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Congrats on your acquisition of your Mauser HSc in .32 ACP :)

In which year was it manufactured and imported and how much did you pay for it ?

Regards

F-N-FiveSeven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:03 am

Join the NRAI. Its easier through them...In view of the recent shootouts they have got a little selective. If your living in central city you may not get it that easy.
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

dheeraj1982
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dheeraj1982 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:40 pm

hi inplainsight,

i had applied for my arms license last month for self protection and shooting/target practice....just recived a letter frm LA that they have not accepted my request as i dont have any specific threat nor any participation/recomedations certificates from NRAI.... can you please guide wht do nxt

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Weapons not for showing off, but self defence: Delhi High Court

Post by renjith747 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:52 pm

One does not have a fundamental right to keep a weapon and its possession nowadays is more for “showing off” as a “status symbol” than for self defence, the Delhi High Court has said.

The observation by Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva came while rejecting a private company official’s plea for an arms licence, a request which was denied to him by the licensing authority of the police as well as the Lieutenant Governor (LG).

Upholding the decisions of the licensing authority and the LG, the court said, “We are not living in a lawless society where individuals have to acquire or hold arms to protect themselves.”

It said that the object of the Arms Act was to ensure that weapons are available to citizens for self defence, but it “does not mean that every individual should be given a licence” to possess a weapon.

“The object of the Act is self-defence. The grant of Arms license is a privilege conferred by the Act. There is no fundamental right of an individual to hold an arm (weapon).

“Possession of arms today has become a status symbol. Individuals seek to possess arms mostly for the purposes of showing off that they are influential people. Arms are even being used indiscriminately for celebratory firing at marriages etc.,” the court said.

The petitioner had sought an arms licence on the ground that he daily deals with cash ranging between Rs 2-3 lakh and needs a weapon for his safety and to secure the money.

The court rejected the contention, saying that the cash belonged to the company and if there was any need to protect the money, the company would have taken the requisite measures.

“The amount of cash mentioned by the petitioner is only about Rs 2-3 lakh a day. Merely because an individual deals with cash of Rs 2-3 lakh a day and that also of a third party does not by itself show that there is any threat to that individual,” the court said.

The same view was expressed by the LG while rejecting the man’s plea for an arms licence.

The court said the petitioner has not shown any circumstance that could create a perception that there is a threat to his life.

“License to hold an arm is to be granted where there is a necessity for the same and not merely at the asking of an individual at his whims and fancies,” the court said.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... GvtcK.html

Court simply rejected the application by citing there is no threat to life unless it is proved by an individual.The rejection criteria is not evaluated as per the arms act 1959 and how can an ordinary civilian is entitled to own an arms license?.

Regards
Renjith

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:05 am

Extremely unreasonable and poor quality judgement bereft of any sound logic. Supreme Court has in Vidhya Singh v. State of Madhya Pradesh (1971) 3 SCC 244, held that "the right of self-defence is a very valuable right, serving a social purpose and should not be construed narrowly." and this same ratio decidendi has been consistently held by Supreme Court in catena of judgments since then. Thus it is also a law laid down by Supreme Court under Article 141 of the Constitution. It also means every legislation that in any way has implications with the right of self defense, like Arms Act 1959, it's Arms Rules and Notifications need to pass the following test that -

1. Right of self defense is a very valuable right
2. Right of self defense serves a social purpose
3. Right of self defense should not be construed narrowly

It is extremely unfortunate that Delhi High Court failed to respect law of the land as laid down by Supreme Court.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:12 pm

In addition to the above post, posts in this thread may also be read with this post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25256#p249461
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992