Transfer of arms from Father to Son

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Optimus_PB
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Transfer of arms from Father to Son

Post by Optimus_PB » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:44 am

Hello Guys,

I stay in Thane(Maharashtra) My father owns a SBBL indian made field gun, licensed under Sports category(validity: Indian Union), he is over 75 years old and would like to transfer his gun to my name. Also I am looking to take up Trap and Skeet seriously. Please help me with my following questions:

- I would like to get a DBBL O/U for Trap and Skeet, do you suggest he should purchase DBBL and then I should do the transfer or i should acquire the license first transfer the existing SBBL and then get a DBBL O/U. Note: He has been owning this gun for good amount of years and hasn't faced much bureaucratic issues in getting licenses, renewed etc.

- I understand from this forum that you cannot transfer a license you have to apply a fresh one and then do the transfer, however during my father's license renewal, he made a casual inquiry of the License transfer and he was told by a senior that there's no harm in applying for a license and gun transfer together. Any suggestions?

- Is there a procedure/authority where I can directly apply for a Indian validity license rather than getting the district, then state level and then the Indian validity.

- Is there a way I can get good amount of ammo quota during the application process itself or i have to wait for what they sanction and then ask for extension, in any case then how much max can i ask for, I understand the "Renowned Shots" get 15000 a year, but is there someone out there who is not a renowned shot and has a decent amount of quota.

- Do i risk getting a display license if applying inheritance as the reason? also will that have any affect on my ammo quota.

Thanks
Optimus

For Advertising mail webmaster
doctor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Transfer of arms from Father to Son

Post by doctor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:36 am

Optimus_PB wrote:- I would like to get a DBBL O/U for Trap and Skeet, do you suggest he should purchase DBBL and then I should do the transfer or i should acquire the license first transfer the existing SBBL and then get a DBBL O/U. Note: He has been owning this gun for good amount of years and hasn't faced much bureaucratic issues in getting licenses, renewed etc.
If your father has that gun with him more than 23- 25 yrs then theres a very high chance of you getting a license under inheritance .
as such the license approval process in thane is not stringent as in Mumbai, however its still difficult with the new atmosphere post Mumbai attacks.
Optimus_PB wrote:- I would like to get a DBBL O/U for Trap and Skeet, do you suggest he should purchase DBBL and then I should do the transfer or i should acquire the license first transfer the existing SBBL and then get a DBBL O/U. Note: He has been owning this gun for good amount of years and hasn't faced much bureaucratic issues in getting licenses, renewed etc.
Dont ask your father to sell of his gun and go for a dbbl , instead after getting a license wait for a period of 1- 2 years participate in number of shooting events and then buy a gun of your choice.
Optimus_PB wrote: I understand from this forum that you cannot transfer a license you have to apply a fresh one and then do the transfer, however during my father's license renewal, he made a casual inquiry of the License transfer and he was told by a senior that there's no harm in applying for a license and gun transfer together. Any suggestions?
Don't rely on any senior officer below the rank of DCP for any thing .
you mentioned your fathers age as 75 plus, how many shooting events have you attended since you may be approx in the age group of 35-45 yrs pardon me if i am wrong. your age may go against you in you claiming for a sports cat license .
join a shooting club participate in a few shooting competitions , and then apply for a gun license under the sports category and then transfer the gun in your licence.
your father is a lucky person to still have his license and getting it renewed post 75 yrs in the sports category, i doubt he has shot in any of the shooting events since last 15-20 yrs.

Optimus_PB wrote:Is there a procedure/authority where I can directly apply for a Indian validity license rather than getting the district, then state level and then the Indian validity.
No way are you getting a indian validity straight away , you will get a mumbai district validity and then as and when you participate out of Mumbai you apply for temporary journey permits and when you have enough of these permits then you can apply for a state or an all india validity.
as for the ammo quota get a licence first and then apply for increasing the quota.
Optimus_PB wrote: Do i risk getting a display license if applying inheritance as the reason? also will that have any affect on my ammo quota.
Yes, if applying inheritance as the reason you risk getting a display license. if your father had a license under self protection there was a chance that you could have applied under the self protection category .
on a display license you DO NOT get any ammo.
hope this helps.
Doctor

kaushalrb
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kaushalrb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 pm

I have recently transferred a weapon from my father to me.

There is a Arms and Ammunition policy of the Central home Ministry on their website. The policy has a clause which allows you to transfer the arms from Father to son and also other relatives.

Use this document. You don't need to give even a single rupee. The policy is clear and very helpful.

Meet the DCP of your area and show him the policy. Apply under family Heirloom category. NO ONE CAN REFUSE..

Even ammunition will be granted as policy mentions this too.

All the best

kaushalrb
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kaushalrb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Use the arms and ammunition policy of the Home Ministry. Family Heirloom. It gives you the right to transfer from Dad to son, daughter. Remember it is your RIGHT. Not anyone's mercy.

Make use of it. Meet the DCP post applying under family heirloom. Attach the policy.

Optimus_PB
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Optimus_PB » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks Doctor, Kaushal, thanks for your help.

Kaushal a couple of questions for you:
-How was your proedure and what arm did you get transfered?
-Can you help me with the link?

Optimus

kaushalrb
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kaushalrb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi,

Below is the policy issued by Union Home ministry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dc_newbie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:36 am

Hello All,

I was in the same boat and had to apply for a new Arms License in Faridabad after my Dad passed, in order to transfer my inherited weapons. My father had 3 - one his, one from his father and one from his grandfather. It took me almost 6-8 months and several trips to follow up - but I was able to get the license in the inheritance category. I even went to the Home Guard Training even though I have a decent amount of firing and gun safety experience.

If anyone is applying in Faridabad - please feel free to post here and I will be glad to help.

Dc_newbie

aditya_722
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by aditya_722 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I my father wants to transfer his license gun in my name.
He is over 70 years and possession of his license is over 25 years. How is the procedure. Can somebody help?

Ganesh_Green9
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ganesh_Green9 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:35 am

kaushalrb wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Kaushal
I lost my father last year and I want to transfer his weapon to me. I need your help to understand the following. If possible please share your contact number.

1. In Heriloom I can get it transferred
2. What form I need to fill and is this the website https://ndal-alis.gov.in/armslicence/ ???
3. Meet the DCP (I am in Mumbai)
4. Fathers Licence expires in July 2021
5. Use - we have land away from Mumbai and its jungle area for self protection.

Please let me know what should i do.

Below is the policy issued by Union Home ministry.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm

Now all arms licences are to be applied ONLINE ONLY. So please dont MEET any guy whoever he may be.

If you want a straight foward gun licence, under the heirloom category. just do the following :-

1) If your ancestor is alive and he is willing to allow YOU to inherit HIS weapon, he has to express his willingness in writing preferably on a 25/ 100 rupee bond paper (as per your state ) with all the licence book details and counter signed by a Notary .

2) Apply concurently stating your need to inherit your ancestral arms under the inheritance category

3) Dont meet ANY guy in any department ( Do so if you are a VIP kind of a person and that much fussy about legal procedures and time ). Most licencing branch officers will tell that they have to reach the bottom of the ocean and bargain with you. Many have been misled and ripped off.

4) If your ancestor , whose weapon you want to inherit, is unfortunately deceased,
a) get his will if any Probated .
b) His/ Her death certificate
c) Legal heir certificate
d) If no will is made , then get a No Objection Certificate from all the legal heirs mentioning their name , Aadhaar number, licence number, weapon number, type etc and weapon deposit reciept details.
e) copy of licence book and the weapon deposit reciept.

Good luck . Apply straight foward , Hold your head high and get your licence. Jai Hind

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed May 19, 2021 6:32 am

aditya_722 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:31 pm
Hi everyone,

I my father wants to transfer his license gun in my name.
He is over 70 years and possession of his license is over 25 years. How is the procedure. Can somebody help?
I did that almost 25 years ago...but i acquired licences first and then went for a transfer..where my fathers was given permission to transfer to me.however his licences were surrendered to their licencing authority.you have to have a licence first.your father has to inform his licencing authority that he wants to gift these weapons to you etc.