HOW TO GET YOUR ARMS LICENSE PROCESSED

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

HOW TO GET YOUR ARMS LICENSE PROCESSED

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Dear All,

Though I am very new on IFG and got my AL about 6 months ago, I am not the proper person to advise any one. But I would like to put forward some views and points, as per my experience to get an AL. Hoping it would help someone. First I would specify the process of the application.

1. You apply to the Licensing Authority.
2. The Authority sends it to the DCP of your area, who forwards it to your local Police Station for verification.
3. The PS hands over the application to a local police man to verifies address and other details. The whole process is largely dependent on this police man's report.
4. The SHO signs the report and forwards it to the ACP of the area, who forwards it the DCP's office.
5. The DCP may hold the file till he meets the applicant and that is the time the applicant needs to be aware of the documents submitted with the application and the requirement of the weapon that the applicant is convinced about.
6. The DCP's office then forwards it to the Licensing Authority and then are no formalities remaining. Normally the Joint Commissioner (who is the one who approves the License) signs the application immediately after that.

Now my opinion to be successful in the whole process are as follows. And most importantly be very humble and do not throw your weight around. I waited for hours outside the senior Police Officers office to meet them without any reference or appointment.

1. As per my limited experience, I believe that most of the people do not apply for an AL anticipating a lot of hassles involved. But go ahead as you wont succeed if you do not attempt.
2. You should be convinced yourself of the reason for requirement of the weapon (if you are yourself not convinced of the reason then you wont get it).
3. Once you are convinced yourself make the application with all supporting documents as required by the Authority, including the inputs regarding the reason you require the AL. The reason being actual threat or perceived threat that you are convinced about.
4. Follow up at each step that the application goes through, preferably starting a day before the application reaches that point.
5. I feel that if you meet the person involved, before your file reaches that person, it is better, as the person will not hold your file or give a non favorable report if you have met him or are there once the file reaches that point.

Finally do not hurt anyone 's ego. That is how I got my AL in 20 days. Hope it helps someone.

Regards
Last edited by aadhaulya on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: HOW TO GET YOUR ARMS LICENSE PROCESSED

Post by hamiclar01 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:36 am

Many thanks for your input. Congratulations on getting your license.
aadhaulya wrote: 3. Once you are convinced yourself make the application with all supporting documents as required by the Authority, including the inputs regarding the reason you require the AL. The reason being actual threat or perceived threat that you are convinced about.
This is what always stumps me in licensing applications. What documentary evidence to support an actual or perceived threat must be attached, particularly if there have been no previous incidences involving me.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:14 am

Dear hamiclar01,

Are you yourself convinced of the perceived threat? If you are then you should give that reason and obviously you will have no official document to support it. That is why you need to be aware of the reasoning given in the application and able to explain the exact reason for acquiring the license, to each and every official you meet.
I believe that all the officials would like to help you, if they are sure that giving you a license would not be a threat to the society.

Regards

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:10 pm

unfortunately this does not work across India, so bit pointless, and babus are there not to help you but to hinder you. ask all the arms licnece cases pending in courts.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Dear Nagarifle,

This was based purely on my experience, about 6 months ago.
I have absolutely no contact with any Babu or politician. I just decided to take it up and followed up like any other job in the private sector industry. The only difference being that here you can effectively follow up on mail and phone. Where as in the government departments it does not work and you have to take time out for personal followup and it worked for me.
Hopefully, it may also work for my wife and daughter as well.
Hoping and keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Wonderful what reason did you provide exactly for acquiring one.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:41 pm

Personal and family protection. I have two daughters only and i was working as a Director of an Automobile dealership. We had to close the dealership due to fall in the sales during this slowdown in the Automobile business.
We took some time to settle the dues as there are heavy losses in closing down a running business.
This was the reason I thought that I needed some protection for myself and my family.

That is the reason I mentioned that you should be convinced of the reason yourself, before you attempt to convince someone else.

Regards

jatindra Singh Deo
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jatindra Singh Deo » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:27 pm

@aadhaulya ji I have question regarding this .My AL is pending with my SP for sometime and he is reluctant to approve the same .I have applied for the same under sports category and provided my club membership proof along with my annual .22 50 mts participation certificates in prone/standing at my club .My permanent residence is in Odisha but keep shifting base due to professional reasons ,but make sure I am back for my club competitions .Even if I am in Bangalore I have initiated my police verification for KSRA membership .

The SP at Odisha is citing my current location as a stumbling block and quotes some home ministry guidelines even under sports category .I tried to be honest while the verification and the local police cleared my file but the SP is holding on to this location clause and I seem to pay the price for being honest .I could have easily lied but didn't ,as I was at my place during the same .I know a lot of people staying out station having a AL .My father has a AL in his name and we have a large farmhouse adjacent to our residence ,can I apply under other categories as well ? I want a .22 cal AL purely for sporting purposes.

There is another issue with the authorities there are urging senior citizens to deposit the firearms with the govt ,is there a clause with age requirement for a AL?

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:38 pm

jatindra Singh Deo wrote:@aadhaulya ji I have question regarding this .My AL is pending with my SP for sometime and he is reluctant to approve the same .I have applied for the same under sports category and provided my club membership proof along with my annual .22 50 mts participation certificates in prone/standing at my club .My permanent residence is in Odisha but keep shifting base due to professional reasons ,but make sure I am back for my club competitions .Even if I am in Bangalore I have initiated my police verification for KSRA membership .

The SP at Odisha is citing my current location as a stumbling block and quotes some home ministry guidelines even under sports category .I tried to be honest while the verification and the local police cleared my file but the SP is holding on to this location clause and I seem to pay the price for being honest .I could have easily lied but didn't ,as I was at my place during the same .I know a lot of people staying out station having a AL .My father has a AL in his name and we have a large farmhouse adjacent to our residence ,can I apply under other categories as well ? I want a .22 cal AL purely for sporting purposes.

There is another issue with the authorities there are urging senior citizens to deposit the firearms with the govt ,is there a clause with age requirement for a AL?
Jitender,

It seems that there are two issues involved in your case.
1. The cops verify your address where you have stayed for the last 5 years (I think it is 5 years). So they would require a separate police verification and the authentication form two neighbors for each address. Depending on the number of places you have quoted as your temporary address the process becomes a very cumbersome job.
2. There is an unwritten rule being followed by most of the LA's that they issue a license only for the purpose of self protection.

But this is against the Arms act and rules. Therefore, you may have to go to court to get your license.

Also, it is easier to get a shotgun license for crop protection for your farm house and a possibility exists that you may get a rifle license for the same.
As for senior citizens there is no age limit mentioned in any act or rule. Here in Gurgaon you need to submit a medical certificate of fitness at the time of renewal of the license and there is no issue of age.

Though Abhijit and GBM would be able to guide you better on this issue. I am giving you the information that I have.

Atul

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:05 am

Hi Jitender,

I agree with Atul Ji. I think 2-3 years ago..if you want to apply under sports category you need to meet the sport authority secretary and get recommendation letter and submit to the police.

I dont think now this process would be different. This is how it is in Hyderabad/Telangana.

And for crop protection you might end of getting an option to choose between DBBL/Rifle. I have the same endorsed on mine.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

jatindra Singh Deo
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jatindra Singh Deo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:12 am

@audhaulya @stampmaster thanks a lot for your inputs .The sports secretary i.e a state level beaurocrat in the ministry of sports ?

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:09 am

Congrats on your license, Atul! You were really lucky to have met a few good people in the govt. offices!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:15 am

Thanks EssDee, I followed up vigorously. Like going to the department and asking them why they had not forwarded my file. Then visited the office where the file was supposed to be sent the next day. They got tired of my visits and themselves started calling the department for the ifle if it got delayed by more than a day.

Atul

azizQuadri
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by azizQuadri » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi,

I've been chasing the processing of my AL for the past 8 months, initially i have relied on a arms dealer in my city. After realizing that he is wasting my time, i started following up with the officers, finally today i was called by my area DCP for interview and he is convinced that i shall be granted the license and said me that" do not worry i will send it today to the cp office (commissioner office) from my side the work is done "

I called up dealer on the way back home and he says that it is to be processed by another 5 high rank officials :x

kindly guide me as to exactly what is the process and duration taken for AL after the DCP sends a positive report ?

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:57 am

A arms licence application is to be decided "" GRANTED or DENIED "" within 90 days from the date of application.It should be decided within 60 days from the reciept of police report. In your case why did you take the help of the socalled ''ARMS DEALER"". this is a WRONG path. Always send the application by registered post.
Now since your application has not se the light, dont go to any office or officer in person. Send ypur reminder by REGISTERED POST only. Repeat reminders every 30 days by RPAD. you wil get the final result.
As per the new Arms Rules 2016 , every service is time bound. By sending your reminders by RPAD, your case gets more stronger by the days of delay.
JAI HIND