Do airguns need a license?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
gagansan1
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Do airguns need a license?

Post by gagansan1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Do we have some kind of list of guns which don't require Licence?

For Advertising mail webmaster
ToshiOzzy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Do airguns need a license & import Air gun .177 from Abroad?

Post by ToshiOzzy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:11 am

Hello All, I want to buy "Remington AirMaster 77 Kit 4x20 Scope, Rings, Ammo & Targets, caliber - 0.177" and also "Remington .177 Cal, 7.9 Grains, Pointed, 200ct, caliber - 0.177", Qty - 200, Weight: 7.9gr " from http://www.pyramydair.com which will be imported to Nagaland state in India. Can I buy these gun and ammo legally without arms licence as I have none ? Please guide me as I want to buy at the earliest. Would highly appreciate if anyone drop a line here.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Do airguns need a license & import Air gun .177 from Abroad?

Post by nagarifle » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:41 am

ToshiOzzy wrote:Hello All, I want to buy "Remington AirMaster 77 Kit 4x20 Scope, Rings, Ammo & Targets, caliber - 0.177" and also "Remington .177 Cal, 7.9 Grains, Pointed, 200ct, caliber - 0.177", Qty - 200, Weight: 7.9gr " from http://www.pyramydair.com which will be imported to Nagaland state in India. Can I buy these gun and ammo legally without arms licence as I have none ? Please guide me as I want to buy at the earliest. Would highly appreciate if anyone drop a line here.

hi Toshiba

you do not need license for air guns as the do not come under the arms act if they pass the ideal wood test.

beware if you import via post they will be hold up in Kal? and you would need to go there afaik there is no other foreign post office near by. if you read the airgun import via post thread etc you would come to see the easy and the difficulty of the the whole process.

all the best in you venture.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Actually the Notification No is G.S.R. 992.G.S.R. 991 pertains to the Act coming into force on 1st October ,1962.

bangaram
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

high powered airgun

Post by bangaram » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:18 pm

can we use high powered airguns in india. Does it require any arms license to possess

Naveenmudipalli
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

what license i need...?

Post by Naveenmudipalli » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Hey i want an Air Rifle, does anyone know what license i need if any and where do i need to go to apply for one.
Also does anyone here have one and what brand is it and how much did it cost you ?

I just want one to shoot at targets in the garage..

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: what license i need...?

Post by nagarifle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 pm

no, unless you have a high power one which does not pass the ideal wood test. see more in the air gun section of the forum and the legal section for any more questions that you may have.
Nagarifle

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: high powered airgun

Post by brihacharan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

bangaram wrote:can we use high powered airguns in india. Does it require any arms license to possess
Hi Bangaram,

In India many of the old British rules & regulations are still followed, it includes guns too. In the UK 600fps is the limit for airguns, anything higher one needs a license. If you are already in possession of one - well good luck. But if you are planning to import or get one during one of your trips abroad, it will be impounded & tested. I suggest you read other postins on this subject and their experience. You may also check with your local rifle clubs on this issue.
Regards
Brihacharan

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: what license i need...?

Post by mundaire » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ABABUJAY
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re:

Post by ABABUJAY » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:46 pm

mundaire wrote:OK, finally got hold of a copy of the famous Central Government notification No. G.S.R 991 dated 13-7-1962 where it had excluded arms and ammunition of the de.scriptions specified in Column (1) of Schedule II from certain provision of the Act and subject to conditions mentioned therein. Posting the relevant parts here FYI:

Schedule II

Arms & Ammunition
(1)
(2)
(3) Air guns, air rifles and air pistols which satisfy the following test, namely that - the projectiles discharged from such guns or pistols do not perforate a target 12 inches square formed by deal-wood boards of even grain, free from knots, planed on both sides and of thickness of 1/2" and 1" for air pistols and air guns/ rifles respectively:
Provided that in making and estimating the test the following conditions shall be observed, namely:-

(a) the weapon shall be held horizontally with the muzzle at a distance of five feet from the target,

(b) the test shall be repeated twenty times for each class of projectiles which can be discharged from the weapon; and

(c) perforation shall be deemed to be effected-
(i) in a case where the projectile is a dart, if the point of the dart pierces the back of the target, and
(ii) in any other case if the projectile passes completely through the back of the target.

Provisions of the Act (which the above are exempted from)

All; provided that the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, retain all or any of the provisions of the Act in respect of air pistols or of any class thereof in the case of any class of persons or of any specified area.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
dear friends
as per arms act import of arms is prohibited after1984,(exemption for renouned shooters (my dominator1250 got detained) but in my detention notice its stated as below:

ALL ARMS AND AMMUNITION DETAINED PENDING PRODUCTION OF AN ARMS LICENCE, PAYMENTS OF DUTY ETC IF NOT CLEARED WITHIN ONE MONTH WILL BE DISPOSED OF UNDER THE PROVISION OF CUSTOMS ACT 1962

wat does the above statement implies?

as i have already stated, my dominator has failed the deal wood test. the wood used by them was the one used to make vegetable box.
And regarding deal wood test, they are supposed to use pine wood and no wherein the arms act they hve mentioned the type of pine wood, as there are many varieties of pine
i am aware of the strength of teak wood and compared to its strength with pine the difference is meagre.
(i assume the strength of any material is based on its density )
so i feel if the deal wood test was conducted properly even a power full air rifle wud pass the test unless canadian pine is not used.
so i am planning to challange the results of balastic dept.
i also need ur suggestion advice before proceeding
below is the list of densities of different kind of wood.
frends please enlighten
regards
babu

Wood - seasoned & dry kg/cu.m
Afromosia 705
Apple 660 - 830
Ash, black 540
Ash, white 670
Aspen 420
Balsa 170
Bamboo 300 - 400
Birch (British) 670
Cedar, red 380
Cypress 510
Douglas Fir 530
Ebony 960 - 1120
Elm ( English ) 600
Elm ( Wych ) 690
Elm ( Rock ) 815
Iroko 655
Larch 590
Lignum Vitae 1280 - 1370
Mahogany ( Honduras ) 545
Mahogany ( African ) 495 - 850
Maple 755
Oak 590 - 930
Pine ( Oregon ) 530
Pine ( Parana ) 560
Pine ( Canadian ) 350 - 560
Pine ( Red ) 370 - 660
Redwood ( American ) 450
Redwood ( European ) 510
Spruce ( Canadian ) 450
Spruce ( Sitka ) 450
Sycamore 590
Teak 630 - 720
Willow 420

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:26 pm

what it means that it is classifieds as firearms as it did not pass the 'ideal ' wood test. will only be reliesed once a fire arms license is produced for arm. and fully duty paid.

you have one month to do something or lose it.

as per the act the wood has to be 1 inch thick etc not layers of chip wood etc or vegi box. worth the challenge.

the wood has to be.
12 inches square formed by deal-wood boards of even grain,
free from knots,
planed on both sides and
of thickness of 1" for air rifles

if the test is not done according to each point then it is unlawful test.

if you can get the test done again as per the above and see the result. if they will not, then you can only take it to court and ask for stay order against the customs from doing anything against the air rifle.

as the court for its understanding on what should be the deal wood test.

can not think what else can be done.
Nagarifle

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Do I need a License for a .22 Air rifle?

Post by Raptor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 am

Hi

Request counsel from anybody out there with requisite expertise to help me out.
"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:53 am

Thank you gentlemen ,that answers me question...... :D
"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

pandian1948
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pandian1948 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Friends

This applies for both .177 / .22 Pistol or Rifle.
Take a deal wood board of 1" thickness.
Place the same at a distance of 5 feet from the muzzle of the gun.
Fire a shot.
If the pellet penetrates the board, then your gun needs a licence.
Otherwise no.

Pandian, Chennai
********EDITED*********

nicedew
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nicedew » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:59 pm

.22 air rifle need a license in india? :?: