Do airguns need a license?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
SUFFIX
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: The "deal wood test"

Post by SUFFIX » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:55 pm

mundaire wrote:OK, finally got hold of a copy of the famous Central Government notification No. G.S.R 991 dated 13-7-1962 where it had excluded arms and ammunition of the descriptions specified in Column (1) of Schedule II from certain provision of the Act and subject to conditions mentioned therein. Posting the relevant parts here FYI:

Schedule II

Arms & Ammunition
(1)
(2)
(3) Air guns, air rifles and air pistols which satisfy the following test, namely that - the projectiles discharged from such guns or pistols do not perforate a target 12 inches square formed by deal-wood boards of even grain, free from knots, planed on both sides and of thickness of 1/2" and 1" for air pistols and air guns/ rifles respectively:
Provided that in making and estimating the test the following conditions shall be observed, namely:-

(a) the weapon shall be held horizontally with the muzzle at a distance of five feet from the target,

(b) the test shall be repeated twenty times for each class of projectiles which can be discharged from the weapon; and

(c) perforation shall be deemed to be effected-
(i) in a case where the projectile is a dart, if the point of the dart pierces the back of the target, and
(ii) in any other case if the projectile passes completely through the back of the target.

Provisions of the Act (which the above are exempted from)

All; provided that the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, retain all or any of the provisions of the Act in respect of air pistols or of any class thereof in the case of any class of persons or of any specified area.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Hi Abjijeet,
Do you have by any chance the original copy of this Notification?

-regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Do airguns need a license?

Post by andy_65_in » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:40 pm

i think with the import of airguns having recommenced i dnt think this topic has any relevance now?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm

andy_65_in wrote:i think with the import of airguns having recommenced i dnt think this topic has any relevance now?
there is no evidence given by anyone, just say so
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Diana350
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Where to buy a Dominator 1250 + Scope and pump in Bangalore

Post by Diana350 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Dear all,

I'm new to this forum, I'm Loup a french citizen living in Bangalore since two years,
I'm a member of the riffle association of Paris since 15 years, and got my license
Unfortunately I never brought my riffles in India yet,

Therefore right now and I'm looking for a Dominator 1250 fully equipped including,

- Transportation box
- Scope Walther FT 8-32x56.
- Ect.....details below
http://www.armurerie-auxerre.com/catalo ... -1591.html

I'm ready to buy asap, can someone help me to get it in Bangalore
Thanks for your feedback
Cheers

Loup

iswgirish
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by iswgirish » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:41 pm

SECTION : XIV
IN THE SUPREME COURT OF INDIA
CIVIL APPELLATE JURISDICTION

PETITIONS FOR SPECIAL LEAVE TO APPEAL ( C ) Nos. 436 – 438 OF 2012

WITH

PRAYER FOR INTERIM RELIEF

M/s Toy Airgun, Air Rifle, Air Pistol & Pellets Manufacturers
Association …. Petitioner

VERSUS

People for Animals & Ors …. Respondents

To,

1 People for Animals
A-4, Maharani Bagh,
New Delhi – 110065
Through Ozair Husain

2 Union of India
Through Secretary,
Ministry of Home Affairs,
North Block, New Delhi

3 Union of India through the Secreatary,
Ministry of Environment & Forests,
C.G.O Complex, Lodhi Road,
New Delhi.

4 Union of India
Through Director, Animal Welfare,
Ministry of Socail Justice & Empowerment,
Shastri Bhawan , New Delhi

5. Animal Welfare Board,
11, Venkataraman Street,
Srinivasa Avenue,
Raja Annamalai Puram,
Chennai – 600028
Through Director

6. National Rifle Assocaiation of India
Through Mr .B.S. Sethi
The Secretary General,
Room No, 1116, Gate No. 26,
Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium
New delhi

WHEREAS the Petition for Special Leave to Appeal with Prayer for Interim Relief
above mentioned ( copy enclaosed ) filed in the Registry by Mr. Anmol N. Suryawanshi, Advocate on behalf of the Petitioner above named, was listed for hearing before this court on 4th January, 2012 when the cout was pleased to pass the following order:-

“ Exemption from filling c/c of the impugned order is allowed,

Delay condoned
Issue notice in all the SLPs
The interim order of the High Court dated 1st Novemeber, 2002 shall continue until further orders.”

NOW THEREFORE TAKE NOTICE that the above Petition for Special Leave Appeal with Prayer for Interim Relief will be posted for hearing before this court on 16th March 2012 at 10.30 o’ clock in the forenoon or so soon thereafter as may be convenient to the court when you may appear before the court either in person or through counsel and show cause to the court as to why the special leave as prayed for be not granted and the resultant appeal be not allowed.

TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that this court has passed an interim order pending disposal of the special leave Petitions after notice as quoted above.

TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that the prayer for interim relief after notice will also be listed before the court on the aforesaid returnable date.

You may file your affidavit in opposition to the petition as provided under Rule 13 (1) of order XVI S.C.R 1966 ( as amended) within 30 days from the date of receipt of notice or not later than two weeks before the date appointed for hearing whichever be earlier but shall do so only by setting out the grounds in opposition to the questions of law or grounds set out in the SLP and may produce such pleadings and documents filed before the court against whose order the SLP is filed and shall also set out the grounds for not granting interim order or for vacating interim order if already granted.

TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that if you fail to enter appearance as aforesaid, no further notice shall be given to you even after the grant of special leave for hearing of the resultant appeal and the matter above – mentioned shall be disposed of in your absence.

DATED THIS, THE 16th DAY OF JANUARY, 2012.

ASSISTANT REGISTRAR.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:49 pm

Girishji,

What does this mean and who is it addressed to ???

M.
iswgirish wrote:You may file your affidavit in opposition to the petition as provided under Rule 13 (1) of order XVI S.C.R 1966 ( as amended) within 30 days from the date of receipt of notice or not later than two weeks before the date appointed for hearing whichever be earlier but shall do so only by setting out the grounds in opposition to the questions of law or grounds set out in the SLP and may produce such pleadings and documents filed before the court against whose order the SLP is filed and shall also set out the grounds for not granting interim order or for vacating interim order if already granted.

TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that if you fail to enter appearance as aforesaid, no further notice shall be given to you even after the grant of special leave for hearing of the resultant appeal and the matter above – mentioned shall be disposed of in your absence.

DATED THIS, THE 16th DAY OF JANUARY, 2012.

ASSISTANT REGISTRAR.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:45 pm

It means exactly what it says in the last paragraph.

It is addressed to People for Animals & Others - Respondents.

Girishji, if you could also update the details about what all the petitioners have have said in their SLP? I mean the questions of law or grounds set out by the petitioners in the SLP.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:40 pm

So if the Respondents don't respond then the case is closed and we can rejoice ?

M.
goodboy_mentor wrote:It means exactly what it says in the last paragraph.

It is addressed to People for Animals & Others - Respondents.

Girishji, if you could also update the details about what all the petitioners have have said in their SLP? I mean the questions of law or grounds set out by the petitioners in the SLP.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:10 pm

It means if respondents fail to enter appearance as said in the notice, no further notice shall be given, the case shall be proceeded and disposed off in the absence of respondents. Respondents will not be able to say afterwards that they were not given the opportunity to be heard. It does not mean anything else. In other words the petitioners and Supreme Court will carry on with the case in absence of respondents and final decision will be given by Supreme Court after whatever it thinks to be correct as per its wisdom.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

sanjay123
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

AIR GIN THAT DO NOT NEED A LICENCE

Post by sanjay123 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:41 pm

WHICH TYPES OF AIR GUN THAT DO NOT NEED A LICENCE ???ARE THERE ANY IF THERE PLZ LET ME KNOW IT SHOULD BE A LITTLE POWERFUL

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: AIR GIN THAT DO NOT NEED A LICENCE

Post by Vikram » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Gordon's export version is slightly more powerful than the regular version,I heard. :wink:

Re license, there is something called 'deal wood test'.If a pellet when fired from an air rifle pierces the plank of the said deal wood, it would require a license. As such you do not need a license for an air rifle that you can buy in the gun shops/sports shops.

National IHP air rifles are known to be the best among Indian made air rifles.If you can afford it, go for the imported ones.

BTW, Please switch off your capslock when you type.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

lakecity_shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lakecity_shooter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Go for a IHP 35
"Defeat is a choice so as victory,You are never beaten till u decide"

prasen123
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by prasen123 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Go for IHP compressed air or pneumatic peep sight. all open sight rifles are going to be out out of competition

ramtiger
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ramtiger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:29 pm

lakecity_shooter wrote:Go for a IHP 35
:agree:

iswgirish
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by iswgirish » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanx to all IHP air rifle lovers Pl note In May'2011 Hon'ble High Court had rejected our review petition and we filed appeal in Supreme Court and got Stay last month. It was due to same reason IHP Factory was closed for almost 10 months after May'11 verdict and cud opened after Stay order.

I hv just informed that Case is still on and can go to any side