Laws and licenses for Martial arts weapons in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Laws and licenses for Martial arts weapons in India

Post by rommel43 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 pm

I am a martial arts hobbyist, and I wish to specialize in weapons. I have manufactured a number of WOODEN weapons for a Ninjutsu practitioner in Mumbai, and now I want to turn to metal weapons, Eg. Kusarifundo, Sai, Butterfly swords, etc.
I am told that there are licenses one can apply for in order to manufacture these weapons. Is anyone aware of the full procedure? Please help

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vakil Saab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Laws and licenses for Martial arts weapons in India

Post by Vakil Saab » Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Any bladed weapon longer than 6 inches is prohibited and cannot be sold or kept. Everything else is legal and permitted. As long as your weapons are not bladed/sharply pointed it is perfectly legal to manufacture, sell and keep them. Go ahead and make your swords, just never sharpen them.

For more details, please refer Arms Act and take advice of your local lawyer.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue May 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Vakil Saab, Where in the Arms Act/ Arms Rules is 6" blade length mentioned? AFAIK the length restriction is 9", unless of course there is a Central Government notification (under Section 4 of the Arms Act) in force in a particular jurisdiction.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vakil Saab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Vakil Saab » Tue May 17, 2016 10:04 pm

mundaire wrote:Vakil Saab, Where in the Arms Act/ Arms Rules is 6" blade length mentioned? AFAIK the length restriction is 9", unless of course there is a Central Government notification (under Section 4 of the Arms Act) in force in a particular jurisdiction.
The thing with criminal laws is that each state has it's own amendments and notifications. In many cases, even the High Courts have made amendments in criminal provisions, which is valid only in the respective states. Strictly speaking the Arms Act is silent on the dimensions of the blade; so you're not wrong. However, in common parlance when one refers to any "act", the allied rules, schedules and notifications are meant to be included.

Now each state (not the central govt.) has issued separate Gazette Notifications fixing entirely different permissible dimensions for . For instance in Madhya Pradesh, it should not be more than 2 inches wide and 6 inches long (Notification No. 6312-6552-II-B(i) dated the 22nd November, 1974); whilst in Uttar Pradesh it cannot be more than 4 inches wide and 6.3 inches long. These notifications have an overriding effect on the Category V description of 9 Inches.
For a businessman who may want to sell his products pan-India, it is always advisable to err on the safer side.

BTW I'm a great fan and regular visitor of this forum since many years. Recently decided to sign up. :cheers:

Vakil Saab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Vakil Saab » Wed May 18, 2016 12:20 am

rommel43 wrote: I have manufactured a number of WOODEN weapons for a Ninjutsu practitioner in Mumbai, and now I want to turn to metal weapons, Eg. Kusarifundo, Sai, Butterfly swords, etc.
Few years ago, I imported an aluminum Ilaito practice Katana from Japan and it did burned a hole in my pocket. Indian swordsmith industry (mostly centered in Western UP) usually makes only substandard replicas of Roman swords and pirate cutlasses, which are for some strange reason quite popular in Europe.

The quality weapons are made only by traditional Koftgari craftsmen of Rajasthan etc. who work only with Gold and Silver -- making it out of reach for middle class chaps like me.

If you can make quality and good looking weapons then you can contact the COs of various Army units who regularly buy/import these for gifting to visiting seniors/dignitaries. Good luck with your venture.

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you Mundiare and Vakil Saab. I greatly appreciate your help in this matter.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Since Arms & Ammunition is a Central subject, and Section 4 of Arms Act talks about the Central Government issuing a notification in the Official Gazette, I really wonder about the legal validity of the State Government notifications.
Arms Act 1959 wrote:4. LICENCE FOR ACQUISITION AND POSSESSION OF ARMS OF SPECIFIED DESCRIPTION IN CERTAIN CASES
If the Central Government is of opinion that having regard to the circumstances prevailing in any area it is necessary or expedient in the public interest that the acquisition, possession or carrying of arms other than firearms should also be regulated, it may, by notification in the Official Gazette, direct that this section shall apply to the area specified in the notification, and thereupon no person shall acquire, have in his possession or carry in that area arms of such class or description as may be specified in that notification unless he holds in this behalf a licence issued in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the rules made there under.
Arms Rules 1962 wrote:SCHEDULE I
Category V. Arms other than firearms: Sharp edged and deadly weapons, namely---- swords (including sword-sticks), daggers, bayonets, spears (including lances and javelins); battle-axes, knives (including kirpans and khukries) and other such weapons with blades longer than 9" or wider than 2" other than those designed for domestic, agricultural, scientific or industrial purposes, steel baton; "Zipo" and other such weapons called "life preservers"; machinery for making arms other than category II; and any other arms which the Central Government may notify under section 4.

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Section 43 of Arms Act 1959 allows the Central government to delegate it's powers to the State government. In accordance with Section 43 of Arms Act 1959, the Central government has delegated this power to issue notifications under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 to the State governments under Rule 19 of Arms Rules 1962. Thus the notifications issued by State governments have force of law.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks for the clarification GBM, makes sense (y) :)

www.gunowners.in

rommel43
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rommel43 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Guys
I have moved to Singapore and will be studying here until the end of December. I found a supplier here with very good quality weapons, and I want to buy them and bring them to India. Obviously won't be sharp. Is it possible for me to label it as a Memento? Or should I write directly to the Customs department seeking advice?

Sumit meena
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sumit meena » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 am

Hello, i have one question, recently i have started making woodworking tools, few tools like spokeshave and plane are really sharp. These tools are made for wood working enthusiasts, as it is difficult to sharp these tools i have designed a technology to sharp razor sharp blade with cold sharpening technique to retain the tempor of the blade.
The reason to write this question is, i want to start spelling these tools, do i have to apply for any licence. And also i was thinking to start a shop fod sharpening high end knives, as i believe no one in india can sharp better then us. How do i go about it. Please help!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 am

Sumit meena wrote:Hello, i have one question, recently i have started making woodworking tools, few tools like spokeshave and plane are really sharp. These tools are made for wood working enthusiasts, as it is difficult to sharp these tools i have designed a technology to sharp razor sharp blade with cold sharpening technique to retain the tempor of the blade.
The reason to write this question is, i want to start spelling these tools, do i have to apply for any licence. And also i was thinking to start a shop fod sharpening high end knives, as i believe no one in india can sharp better then us. How do i go about it. Please help!
There is no need for a license for the above.

www.gunowners.in

drewannrez
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by drewannrez » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:44 am

The Police grants a license to manufacture, import, repair or sell firearms and other arms to natural persons. In case of legal entities, at least one natural person must be appointed as legally responsible for each store and follow the same procedure for obtaining the dealer’s/gunsmith licence.