New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Ravishism
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

Post by Ravishism » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Anand wrote:Hi Ravishism,
Since your license is valid only for UP, either it has to be converted to an All India License or you will need a journey license(Short term permit that extends beyond your normal UP state limit). Once either is procured you will have to explain to the LA at Mumbai that you would like to re-register under address change , and they will guide you as to what is exactly needed. An NOC from UP may be required to re register in Mumbai.

Carrying anywhere that is covered by your license is ok (certain places may be expressly prohibited though) for less than 6 months. Earlier, it used be that you would have to inform local PS if you were visiting a place for more than 24 hrs(or 48 hrs, I cant remember) with your firearm.
Anand
Thanks Anand. Below are some of the further questions which i have now:

1.What if i bring my gun from my home state on Short term licence to Mumbai, and LA in Mumbai denies to re-register Licence here?
2.While obtaining Short term licence in my home state, will LA be asking for some kind of document/Licence issued by Mumbai LA ?

I know i am sounding confusing....cause i am really confused :wink:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Nainsumit wrote:Sir.
According to new arms rule 2016 cartridges for per arm is 100 and per year is 200 .. wanted to ask that is it implemented through out....
Okay , actually I too want to know the answer of this question.
Rule 23 of The Arms Rules 2016 empowers the licencee to keep and bear 200 and 100 cartridges accordingly.
But to my surprise the Arms Dealers here, in Nawanshahr - Punjab, refuse to issue anyone more than 25 cartridges per firearm per year :shock:
When I showed them the relevant rules ,he denied and suggest me to apply to D.M with 'Extension of Cartridges' form.
I faced same reaction from the staff of D.M's Office also :evil:
So now after going nowhere, I'm convinced to fill that form which will shells me a month's time and a thousand of bucks ,or more, to get that extra ammunition :x

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:42 pm

The Licensing Authority is expected to follow the law which is applicable though out India. If they are behaving differently, they must be appraised of the relevant point in the Rules and an application put in for increase in ammo quota. Kindly note that it is 100/200 per firearm and not all together.

Also NRAI members are allowed to have 300/600 for handguns, 200/500 for long guns and 500/1000 in case the firearm is of .22 caliber. It may be worth your while to get NRAI membership and then apply for increase for the higher number of ammo.
Regards,
Anand

hb
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by hb » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:27 pm

If anyone can help with information in arms act for change of address. I would be very grateful.

We are shifting our gun shop to a new location.

Rgds
Hb

rhleng1
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rhleng1 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:50 am

The Arms Act 1959, Chapter 2 Sub Section 3, protects the use of .22 airguns by mentioning it clearly. Arms notification 2016 cannot override Arms Act.
Hope this is Helpful.
To learn who Rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to Criticize

kesh1982
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by kesh1982 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:23 am

rhleng1 wrote:The Arms Act 1959, Chapter 2 Sub Section 3, protects the use of .22 airguns by mentioning it clearly. Arms notification 2016 cannot override Arms Act.
Hope this is Helpful.
The new rules supersede all other rules as per the latest Supreme Court order.

Mrlearner
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mrlearner » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 pm

Ravishism wrote:
Since your license is valid only for UP, either it has to be converted to an All India License or you will need a journey license(Short term permit that extends beyond your normal UP state limit). Once either is procured you will have to explain to the LA at Mumbai that you would like to re-register under address change , and they will guide you as to what is exactly needed. An NOC from UP may be required to re register in Mumbai.

Carrying anywhere that is covered by your license is ok (certain places may be expressly prohibited though) for less than 6 months. Earlier, it used be that you would have to inform local PS if you were visiting a place for more than 24 hrs(or 48 hrs, I cant remember) with your firearm.
Anand

1.What if i bring my gun from my home state on Short term licence to Mumbai, and LA in Mumbai denies to re-register Licence here?
2.While obtaining Short term licence in my home state, will LA be asking for some kind of document/Licence issued by Mumbai LA ?

1. The LA in Mumbai can not refuse to re-register the arm license. But of course, it is India, they can prolong it on one ground or another either due to ignorance of rules or for other purposes (I hope you understand the other purposes). Normal practice is that all Licensing Authorities on change of address cases, register the license provisionally. Then, they ask for Genuineness/NOC from the last LA to find out about the genuineness of the license or to know whether any proceedings are pending with the earlier LA or not. Simultaneously, they ask for the police report to know that the person is actually residing at the given address in his jurisdiction or not. After receiving both the reports they should finalize the registration process. There is no legal difference between provisional registration and final registration. Provisional registration only indicates that some information is pending. Just ensure that your license has UIN.
2. In the home state, the LA will ask only for one simple application and the proof of address where you are shifting. Mostly they do right in the journey license the purpose i.e. Registration with the New L. A.

I hope it serves your purpose.

Regards.

P.S. - The above information is provided in good faith. I will not accept any responsibility for the consequent actions.

Mrlearner
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mrlearner » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Reddick wrote:
Nainsumit wrote:Sir.
According to new arms rule 2016 cartridges for per arm is 100 and per year is 200 .. wanted to ask that is it implemented through out....
Okay , actually I too want to know the answer of this question.
Rule 23 of The Arms Rules 2016 empowers the licencee to keep and bear 200 and 100 cartridges accordingly.
But to my surprise the Arms Dealers here, in Nawanshahr - Punjab, refuse to issue anyone more than 25 cartridges per firearm per year :shock:
When I showed them the relevant rules ,he denied and suggest me to apply to D.M with 'Extension of Cartridges' form.
I faced same reaction from the staff of D.M's Office also :evil:
So now after going nowhere, I'm convinced to fill that form which will shells me a month's time and a thousand of bucks ,or more, to get that extra ammunition :x
As per my knowledge, Rule 23 is immaterial for a particular licensee. That only prescribes the maximum quantity that one can possess.
While granting a license for any weapon, the licensing authority also grants the quantity of ammunition that can be possessed by the licensee. This is specifically mentioned in the arm license booklet itself. Normal practice is to grant it as 25/50. It means 25 at a time and 50 during the year. If you want to keep more, then simple application to LA will serve the purpose. The LA will endorse the changed quantity on your license. Then you can buy the endorsed quantity from any arm dealer. The arm dealer will put a stamp on your license book regarding issuing such and such quantity of ammunition. You should also ask for a receipt.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

vikascha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vikascha » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Sirs

This is my first post on this forum and Iam a gun lover like all of us are... I have one SBL india made gun and want to purchase a new one.I have one observation of arms act 2016 and seek clarifications from the learned people of the forum please.
1. At page no 193 of the Arms act 2016 under PERMISSIBLE arms point III(d) it states "smooth bored breech loading shotguns (including semiautomatic)".What I presume is,it is permissible to buy a 12 bore semiautomatic shotgun.

Please advise urgently.

Regards
Vikas Chauhan

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:39 pm

Yes 12 bore semi auto is allowed now as per Arms Rules 2016.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

vikascha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vikascha » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks Vineet ji...any suggestions about costs of some good quality imported semi autos available

Regards

shadowring
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by shadowring » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:37 am

Further ammendments to Arms Act, 1959 is going to be notified. Some good ones like 5 years validity period before each renewal and some which will have significant impact to all licensee.
“Never mistake motion for action.”

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:18 pm

shadowring, Can you elaborate on your statement? Can you tell us what your source is, and what else the "some good ones" are please.
Regards,
Anand

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Yep, it's happening viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27338 , in fact the proposed changes contain some seriously bad ideas, so I wouldn't be celebrating if I were you.

What will you do with a 5 year renewal if you are forced to give up your guns?
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Ravishism
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ravishism » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:18 pm

Mrlearner wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 pm
Ravishism wrote:

Anand

1. The LA in Mumbai can not refuse to re-register the arm license. But of course, it is India, they can prolong it on one ground or another either due to ignorance of rules or for other purposes (I hope you understand the other purposes). Normal practice is that all Licensing Authorities on change of address cases, register the license provisionally. Then, they ask for Genuineness/NOC from the last LA to find out about the genuineness of the license or to know whether any proceedings are pending with the earlier LA or not. Simultaneously, they ask for the police report to know that the person is actually residing at the given address in his jurisdiction or not. After receiving both the reports they should finalize the registration process. There is no legal difference between provisional registration and final registration. Provisional registration only indicates that some information is pending. Just ensure that your license has UIN.
2. In the home state, the LA will ask only for one simple application and the proof of address where you are shifting. Mostly they do right in the journey license the purpose i.e. Registration with the New L. A.

I hope it serves your purpose.

Regards.

P.S. - The above information is provided in good faith. I will not accept any responsibility for the consequent actions.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response.
BTW i have successfully got my license registered in Mumbai.
Thanks again.

Regards,
Ravish