Gun deposit upon non-renewal of license

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Gun deposit upon non-renewal of license

Post by Kshatriya » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello,

My father is an Ex-serviceman & is around 78 years old. He has a rifle license and as per the new Arms Rules 2016 he is unable to get his license renewed, it has expired on Dec 31, 2016. I am his elder son & have applied for a license under legal heir/family heirloom basis in Lucknow. Now, with the elections announced, and the Model Code of Conduct under imposition, the whole process of allotment of license has been delayed by a couple of months.

I want to know whether I should deposit the Rifle with an Arm's Dealer & get it released & ascribed in my license, if & when its allotted.
Also, should my father surrender his license to the authorities or since there is a provision for renewal even after many months, by paying some extra fee, that will not be necessary. Can he surrender the same, once the Rifle is transfered in my name?

I am apprehensive, that in case the License is not issued in my name, and we have already deposited the license with the authorities & the gun with the Arms Dealer, we will be left in a limbo.

I already hold a pistol license in my name.

Request guidance.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Gun deposit upon non-renewal of license

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:50 pm

About Arms Rules 2016, it appears it has lapsed and licensing authorities ought to be following Arms Rules 1962, you may read this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24511&start=225#p245811

There is no need for your father to surrender the gun or license so long he has valid license. Once you get the license his weapon can be endorsed on your license and subsequently his license revoked upon his written request.

Since the licensing authorities are the one who will be creating problems, may listen to them and do as they say.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992