Airguns while doing TR(transfer of residence)

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Arun.srinivasan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Airguns while doing TR(transfer of residence)

Post by Arun.srinivasan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 am

Hi,

Quick info on Me: been abroad in US for past 5 years with 1 month holiday leave in middle. Pure hobbyist air rifle plinkThinking about getting shooting gun permit here in US.

With the recent change in the rules concerning bringing air guns through customs, I’m seeing varying posts on firearms being allowed while doing TR. I’m more of a plinking/target shooting person with my air rifle (daisy red Ryder) . Not interest in higher caliber firearm.

What are my options in bringing it with me through the Transfer of Residence route?
What are documents that I would need?
Would I need to have anything that shows that it is a 0.177 cal B.B. gun and has only 350 FPS ( less than 2 Joules of muzzle energy)?
Would having firearm license in US help ?
Do I need to be a member of a shooting club in Indiaeven before I consider bringing it with me ?
Can I also bring a CO2 B.B. gun ( daisy power line 340) with me in addition to air rifle?

Has anyone brought air rifle/gun through this route? Have you faced any issues in recent time ( post arms rule of 2016) through this route?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I think this is the best forum for this question. I have seen the passion in lot of posts here for people having guns and helping others overcome legal hurdles. Any and all comments / inputs are greatly appreciated.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Airguns while doing TR(transfer of residence)

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:52 am

I never come across incidence of Shifting a BB gun through TR. I think a Shooting Club Membership will help, other than that you need to Apply through proper channel for a TR Shifting of weapon ( Though its not a restricted Cal. in India and a BB Air Gun but Custom people can create any astronomical excuse to seize the Weapon) . Your purchase Bill for the weapon at USA will prove that its a .177 cal and for safe side you can keep the Technical details of your Gun to strengthen your point.
I would request the Members and Moderators who have a past exp. of shifting any sort of weapon through TR or exposure about the complete process to guide you in this matter.
Regards
Regards

Shivaji

Arun.srinivasan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Arun.srinivasan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:30 am

Thanks so much Shivaji. Appreciate your response. I was even thinking about getting a cannon from Kolkata or ordering a National rifle thinking .177 is not even allowed. But I have grown so attached to this, I feel I should take the extra step to bring it with me. I have been shooting daily everyday atleast 50 bbs (built with an excellent trap that lets me reuse 100% of my bbs). I’ll try posting the trap setup in a separate post. But since mine cannot fire pellets, i’m not sure of its effectiveness against it.

:skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet:

I’m planning on even printing out all rules and have them handy for showing to customs officer. Considering I currently don’t have a Indian rifle club membership, I understand there will be extra steps needed to go through this route, but i’m okay with doing things the right way.

I hope that if one person does things the right way, it can serve as a future guide for others wishing to follow down the same path.

Also, while reading through the verbiage on the arms rules of 2016 something struck me odd -
Off Topic
In another post in IFG, It says that a circular was put out that restricted the import of .177 cal air rifles to only shooting club membership or NRAI membership, but on careful examination, it shows that the import duties are free for members of shooting club and a letter is needed from NRAI stating the same, to avail that benefit. I don’t see any restriction being put on to only members. I might be missing the key coomunication then, but a reference to that would be highly appreciative.
But as per Arms Rule , it is also implied that .177 air rifle does not need an arms license if having less than 20 Joules or 15ftlbs muzzle strength. I’m thinking that if I get a letter or confirmation from the office of commissioner of police or a district magistrate or an affidavit from a lawyer confirming on the stated rules of customs, arms rule of 2016, then I would be right to bring the air rifle but I would be needed to pay the 105% if import duty on the price of the air rifle and the ammunitions.

This air rifle costs 25$ in Walmart(which is what I bought it for), but I think they would ge looking at the retail price which is 69$. So if i’m ready to shell out 100$ for airlines + 69$( minus depreciation value for holding on to this rifle for over a year) for customs then I should be good is my personal thought. Even if I pay all this, I get the rifle and the pellets for around 13k which is a solid 4K less than in India.

Any references to commissioner office in Chennai, would be greatly appreciated to further confirm on this.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:01 am

Is a shooting club membership mandatory for air-guns? As per the TR rules for firearms, you just need a firearm license in India. Air guns are not firearms. And its very unlikely that a person living abroad for 5 years will be a member of a shooting-club in India.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:44 am

AS its a sentimental issue attached with your gun so better you take a membership in any Shooting club in chennai during your visit to India and get a letter from them regarding Your Air Guns for Practice Purpose. Though custom may not stop you for your Guns if your TR papers are OK but be on safer side have every thing ready in your hand to avoid trouble during shifting.
Regards

Shivaji

Arun.srinivasan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Arun.srinivasan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 am

Rahul, I agree the verbiage is rather ambiguous.

Shivaji, I’m getting a couple of police contacts to try to get a NOC or even a .22 caliber arms license for bringing in .177 caliber B.B. gun through TR. One person seems to be a distant relative of mine in Tirunelvelli and another is a friends father who is in police department in Bangalore. I agree that though TR seems a valid legal route, membership of rifle club membership in India might be needed.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:46 am

Wish you all the best. Do share your experiences.

Arun.srinivasan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Arun.srinivasan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:33 am

Rahul, long time has passed, but a final update on the matters. Due to the persistent denial of the airlines staff to take BB gun in my checked in luggage, I had to leave my BB gun with a friend in US. But on landing in Chennai airport, I was at customs paying duty for my tv and I gave a small talk with the customs officer and this is what he had to say. Yes you can bring your bb or pellet gun of .177 caliber only. But a bill showing atleast a year of ownership and a manual showing the gun is within the specified air gun limits is needed to be produced to customs along with a letter specifying that no modifications has been or will be done to this rifle or gun and we are only bringing it for pursuing the target shooting sports is needed. Duty is mandatory on the bill. Easily 50% of the bill. Pellets are also dutiable if you cannot provide a air rifle club membership.

Alas, I won’t be traveling back at all considering my personal family has been in shambles in India(lot of health related issues). This could help someone else trying to bring this in. Airline has the sole jurisdiction for allowing bb/pellet guns on the luggage. Qatar was strict and didn’t allow at all.

Regards,
Arun S

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Sun May 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi Arun, thanks for the update and I understand your pain. My air-gun also met the same fate, had to give it away to a friend before I returned last year. Most airlines consider airguns/bb guns in the same category as firearms, hence the restrictions. And not to mention, the TR rules in India.
You can still buy an imported airguns in India from some dealers, at exorbitant prices of course.

Arun.srinivasan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Arun.srinivasan » Sun May 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi Rahul,
I have ordered NX100 yesterday from airgunshop website. Since my area is in red zone, not sure when I would get it. Imported air rifles and getting it from local dealers is an hassle and unwanted bite into my budget, like the red Ryder is being sold for 16k, I got it for 30$. Considering the SDB and Precihole guns and their excellent reviews now, better to get them and train with them, before eventually moving to pro target rifles. My interest is plinking and target shooting, so even a canon or gi mod 35 would do, but I would miss my BB gun still. It was pure fun wit that.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Mon May 04, 2020 8:42 pm

Definitely a wise decision.