Listing procedure for obtaining an Arms licence in Punjab in 2018

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Listing procedure for obtaining an Arms licence in Punjab in 2018

Post by Ajaaybeer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 am

I am elaborating the fresh arms licence trend in Punjab and the step by step process . When i wanted to get it made, there was none to guide about the steps involved. So i am enlisting process .
The licencing process varies from state to state. I can only quote an example from Punjab but it wont be applicable as copy and paste to other states and also varies a bit from district to district.
Here it is listed how it goes here:
1). D.M issues a file under signature to be filled and deposited in Suvidha centres .
( Some times they levy a fee of Rs15k to Rs 20k on issuing a fresh file as one time fee and doesnot ask for any money at time of collection of licence. This keeps varying . Money either at beginning or at end. This is not a bribe but sort of forced collection by govt. in name of redcross or cow welfare or other fund.)

2). You fill a file attach relevant doc. which includes a map of your house (costs around 200Rs), a medical certificate (Rs 500 fee govt deposit) , a training certificate in weapon handling and operating ( Rs 3000 govt fee and 3 days time period in routine ) . Besides your ids, adhaar , photos etc.

3). Now there is also a character certificate to be signed by M.C and a M.L.A
( purpose is no legal but force you to approach and strike the gates of M.L.A as they are assigned quota and its a political oriented process)

4). File is deposited after filing and it moves to Arms Branch clerical staff who forward it to local police station for police clearance report.
(This depends on clerical staff as to when do they forward it to police station , may take a day or a week.)
( I took it by hand )

5). Then police station forwards it to D.S.P and then to S.P office and then it moves to S.S.P office who may or may not call you to satisfy credentials and need of a licence.
( Police station may take a few days to make and forward your clearance report ( Rs 200 govt. fee in treasury for police report and sent to D.S.P office through routine post. I took it by hand to D.S.P office just to speed up from where it moves forward with just signatures.)

6).If S.S.P clears it moves to Arms clerical branch from where it is forwarded to D.M office where again D.M calls you to verify if you actually need it and may ask you to deposit a amount from 15k to Rs31 k either with Redcross or With Cow welfare and attach a reciept. (This is illegally extracting money actually by government )
This may again take many days but i went to clerical branch and took my file by hand to D.M office.

7. After D.M clearance then your file finally moves to Suvidha centres where computer operator again does computer entry for category of weapons endorsed to generate a computer sticker of licence . ( computer certificate version of licence). Here fee for each category of weapon is Rs 3k . For 3 weapons you deposit Rs 9 k . This fee is endorsement fee of category of weapon endorsed on licence.

8. Then you take it to Arms branch where they stick a hologram on computer licence generated and stamp it .

9. For entry of each weapon a totally different process starts again and rs 900 fee for each weapon entry.

10. This is how it goes in Punjab. Total cost varies from person to person . My cost went upto Rs 37k to make a licence after Rs10 k fee waiver by D.M and took me 15 -20 days with christmas winter break in between. And i didnt give bribe to anyone and filled my file myself.

I wanted to obtain it on merit without standing at the gates of ruthless politicians who belittle you for such favours. But truth is you cannot totally bypass political interference. If you dont goto them to get it made , you will be made to goto them atleast to obtain their signatures.
But in Punjab before code of conduct is in place for coming elections, it is the right time for fulfillment of such requirements as an arms licence , when it has been observed that this entire process is bypassed. You just fill your file and attach relevant docs and they will get it done and no need to run pillar to post. Choice is yours!

Goodluck
Ajaaybeer
Last edited by Ajaaybeer on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

For Advertising mail webmaster
sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Listing procedure for obtaining an Arms licence in Punjab in 2018

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Mr. Ajaaybeer, why during Elections the process it bypassed? I understand that politicians are busy and have lesser political powers at that time but I believe that rest of the process should be same.

Regards

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Ajaaybeer wrote: But in Punjab during election days, this entire process is bypassed. You just fill your file and attach relevant docs and they will get it done and no need to run pillar to post. Choice is yours!
During elections, code of conduct is imposed and no file regarding arms license is passed by any officer. I don't know who told you that its easy to get arms license during elections.

Added in 24 minutes 32 seconds:
Ajaaybeer wrote:The licencing process varies from state to state. I can only quote an example from Punjab but it wont be applicable as copy and paste to other states and also varies a bit from district to district.
It is very easy to get arms license in Punjab as compared to Rajasthan and Haryana.

In most districts of Punjab, DM won't accept your application to get arms license if you don't have approach.

Before 2010, arms licenses were issued in Punjab without any approach. But in March 2010, the central government issued orders (and then home minister, P. Chidambaram was behind it) which asked all DMs to cut down on licenses, stopped issuing all India validity and imposed ban on purchasing more than 50 cartridges in a year on individual licenses. But thankfully in Arms Rules 2016, ban on ALL India validity was removed and cartridges were increased upto 200.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ajaaybeer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Added in 5 minutes 54 seconds:
sumbriavikramaditya wrote:Mr. Ajaaybeer, why during Elections the process it bypassed? I understand that politicians are busy and have lesser political powers at that time but I believe that rest of the process should be same.

Regards
Dear fellow member, i have edited the post for more clarity. I meant just before the elections when govt. is still in power and code of conduct is yet to be implemented. Its the time when most of the schemes are implemented and with-held subsidies are released and also among other things arms licences are issued like Prashad at a religious place.
Last edited by Ajaaybeer on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:58 pm

Mr. Ajaaybeer, I understand that. The time before the elections are the prime time of development and implementation.

Regards

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ajaaybeer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Vineet wrote:
During elections, code of conduct is imposed and no file regarding arms license is passed by any officer. I don't know who told you that its easy to get arms license during elections.

I sometimes wonder why people take it offensive if someone tries to share some knowledge. Dear fellow IFGian you are right at this because In either way its a common sense/understanding that during code of conduct no such works take place thus i have edited the post for better understanding. I forgot that most people interpret the words and not the spirit of whats written.
Positive criticism is still welcome!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Dear fellow member, i have edited the post for more clarity. I meant just before the elections when govt. is still in power and code of conduct is yet to be implemented. Its the time when most of the schemes are implemented and with-held subsidies are released and also among other things arms licences are issued like Prashad at a religious place.
@Ajaaybeer
But it is highly risky as the newly formed government,after the elections, may issues the orders to re-inquire and quash the subsidies,schemes,licences,BPL Cards, etc. granted by the earlier govt. :shock:
Same was done by Capt. Govt. here in Punjab last year where he cancels the amenities which were granted just before the six months of elections by SAD govt. :neutral:
Otherwise luck do prevails on someones part :twisted:

aditya choudhary
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by aditya choudhary » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:23 pm

@ Ajaaybeer:- Now the medical certificate fee has changed in Punjab. Its 1500 RS fee government deposit.