Help regarding handgun license

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Sombit
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Help regarding handgun license

Post by Sombit » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:33 pm

I am a MBBS graduate from Kolkata. Often have to carry cash around. Due to safety reasons i am planning to opt for a handgun licence. Now currently i am not affiliated to any rifle clubs. I have heard that they help expedite the process.
So I am asking from the experienced in this forum, how to approach the situation. Any tips or advise. Ideas on how to proceed.. Anything would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Help regarding handgun license

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Rifle Clubs do not help "expedite" the process. If you want to become a member of any rifle club, it is your wish. There is no legal requirement or compulsion to be a rifle club member or "carrying cash" or to be a "rich man" under Arms Act 1959, for purpose of "self protection" license. If you want arms license for purpose of "sport" then it can or may help. You have to first decide if you want to apply for self defense or sport. If the application is rejected, there is nothing to worry or panic. Politely get the reason for rejection in writing and appeal to the appellate authority. If the application is again rejected, there is nothing to worry or panic. Politely get the reason for rejection in writing and approach High Court. High Court will give appropriate directions. This is the usual process that often happens. Once you are at point of approaching High Court, show another post to your lawyer, he will understand what needs to be done. For reading that post click here. The material in that post is such, if you want to approach High Court tomorrow, your lawyer will be able to take you to High Court tomorrow.

In future please post in proper section. This post ought to be in legal eagle section. If thread of same topic is already there, instead of raising new thread it is better to post in same thread. It prevents scattering of same information, it keeps the discussion on same topic consolidated in same place. That makes it easy for future visitors or readers to find information easily at one point only.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Jkdatta66
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Jkdatta66 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:55 pm

It is not necessary to become a member of rifle club to obtain a handgun license for self protection.The licensing authority has to satisfy itself about your requirement,it most cases there is no response or the application is rejected,you can ask the licensing authority to inform you about the reasons for rejection,and in case there’s no response an application under RTI can be filed,once the information regarding rejection is obtained an appeal can be filed.In most cases High courts give favourable decisions.

Sombit
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Sombit » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Sorry, my bad. Thought legal eagle section is to notify new rules coming out only.

Added in 5 minutes 50 seconds:
But if you don't mind me again, i went to your link. The legal terms went over my head. Just 1 more help please. Can you tell me how to opt for a licence citing sports purpose. And how would that be different from a defence gun.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 am

There is no difference in license application procedure. Only difference is, instead of writing "self protection", you will right "sport". And they may ask you to submit documentary proof for sport. For that you will have to submit photocopy of rifle club membership identity card etc.

For practical purposes, there no difference between sports gun or defense gun. Gun is a gun. For competitive sports there are precision guns and ammunition, they are called match grade pistols, rifles or ammunition. They are very expensive, just forget about match grade pistols or rifles.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992