Customs Notice for importing rifle scope.

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Bhaskara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Customs Notice for importing rifle scope.

Post by Bhaskara » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Hello everyone! My first post and I wanted some advice since I am very new to shooting.

In October I ordered a rifle scope from AliExpress for my new Polaris NX100. I was under the impression that you could import scopes although importing the guns themselves were illegal. Now I have received a Call Memo cum Show Cause notice from Kolkata Customs stating that I am possibly liable to penal action, asking me to send a bunch of documents and calling for a personal hearing. So my questions regarding the issue are -

1) What is the best way to respond to this in order to avoid a personal hearing? I am in no position to go to Kolkata in person.
2) Is there a way I can close the matter without paying any penalties? I am willing to forfeit the item.
3) What happens if I don't respond?
4) Is it okay if I respond to them through email?
5) Has anyone of you gone through such a case ? How did you respond?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

For Advertising mail webmaster
vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Customs Notice for importing rifle scope.

Post by vsraja » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Respond them through email. Stating that you ordered this scope for attaching on an air rifle permitted for target practice.Also send them the online paid receipt. They may clear your order after some weeks or months and it will reach your door step and you have to pay some amount as customs charges. That's it. It's not a matter of too much worrying.
With regards,
vsraja

Bhaskara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bhaskara » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Thanks a lot. I am torn between which would be the better course - forfeiting claim on the item so as to avoid further issues, or requesting them to release it. Also, should I apologise? I am not sure as to the legal status of scopes, and if I have broken any law.

vast
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vast » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:59 pm

There is no chance to get your scope if u received a letter from kolkata customs
But dont worry dude Open the dispute in aliexpress and you'll get your money back
And I want to know Bashkara where are u from (which state)

Bhaskara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bhaskara » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:35 pm

vast wrote:There is no chance to get your scope if u received a letter from kolkata customs
But dont worry dude Open the dispute in aliexpress and you'll get your money back
And I want to know Bashkara where are u from (which state)
Thank you. I am from Assam. At this point I am more worried about the legal ramifications than about receiving the item, which I can live without. I just want to avoid penalties.

vast
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vast » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:35 am

Nothing will happen
Even ive experienced it before

sjohn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sjohn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:56 am

I received a similar notice for ordering a pcp hand pump from amazon.com from the customs office in Mumbai. I responded via email and received my item after 5 months.

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Which scope did you order from aliexpress?

Regards

Bhaskara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bhaskara » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:39 pm

sjohn wrote:I received a similar notice for ordering a pcp hand pump from amazon.com from the customs office in Mumbai. I responded via email and received my item after 5 months.
Thanks. I have not heard kind things about the Kolkata customs and have less hope.

Bhaskara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bhaskara » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:40 pm

sumbriavikramaditya wrote:Which scope did you order from aliexpress?

Regards

New Airgun Hunting Scope Riflescope 3-7X20 Telescopic Optic Cross Reticle Illuminated with 11mm Rail Mount For Airgun Shotgun
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cLMJ9fDO

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 am

There is nothing to panic. Some members have already told you what they did and then received their goods. This is the common trick used by corrupt elements in the Customs. The panicked customer never legally responds to them. They wait for the specified period as per their rule book and then officially "auction" or sell these type of goods in the local market. Then you will go to those markets and buy your own goods as "imported" goods at extortionate prices.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Bhaskara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bhaskara » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will email them and see what happens.

sdib49
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Customs importing rifle

Post by sdib49 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Dear Member

I want by some Airsoft product from evike.com for personal hobbies and I am from india which mention bellow can you advice what is the procedure to import those snd is it possible.

1. CheyTac Licensed M200 Intervention Bolt Action Custom Sniper Rifle (Model: Black / Custom CO2 Version + Scope)
2. Matrix Combat Uniform Set (Color: Woodland / Medium)
3. 5.11 Tactical Single Pistol Bungee Cover Magazine Pouch – Storm
4. Army Force Tactical 1911 Hard Shell Level 2 Retention Holster (Color: Black - Paddle)
5. Evike.com 42" Deluxe Padded Rifle Case with External Magazine Pockets (Color: Black)
6. 6mmProShop 120 Round Pistol Mag Size Airsoft Universal BB Speed Loader (Color: Smoke)
7. Matrix Match Grade 6mm Airsoft BBs (Weight: .20g / 20000 Rounds / White)
8. Matrix Match Grade 6mm Airsoft BBs (Weight: .30g / 5000 Rounds / White)
9. 6mmProShop Chey-Tac M200 AIR 100rd Magazine
10. CYMA Advanced Hi-Capa Airsoft AEP Handgun Package (Color: Black)
11. 5.11 Tactical High Abrasion Tactical Glove (Color: Black / Small)
12. EMG / Sharps Bros "Overthrow" Licensed Full Metal Advanced M4 Airsoft AEG Training Rifle (Color: Black / 16" RECCE)
13. Matrix 300rd Metal Hi-Cap Magazine For M4 / M16 Series Airsoft AEG (Color: Black)
14. Evike MAX Precision 6mm Airsoft BBs (Weight: .25g / 5000 Rounds / White)
15. HFC 4" Bull Barrel Savage Bull Full Size Airsoft Gas Revolver (Color: Black)
16. Matrix Special Operations RRV Style Chest Rig – Black
17. Emerson / Lancer Bump Helmet w/ Flip-down Retractable Visor (PJ Type / Black)
18. 6mmProShop M82 Gen 2 Custom Long Range Airsoft AEG Sniper Rifle (Color: Black)
19. Spare Magazine for Snow Wolf M82 SW-02 SW-013 Barrett Series Airsoft AEG
20. AEG Battery Starter Package w/ Smart Charger (Battery: 9.6v 1600mAh Small Type)
21. Matrix 3-9x50 Illuminated Reticle Sniper Scope – Black
22. WELL MB4411D Bolt Action Airsoft Sniper Rifle (Color: Tan - Package C)
23. WELL 30rd Magazine for MB4404 MB4405 MB4411 MB4410 Series Airsoft Sniper Rifles
24. Matrix Match Grade 6mm High Performance BBs (Weight: .43g / 2000 Rounds)
25. (Black November Deal!) Beretta ARX160 Elite Carbine Airsoft AEG by UMAREX (Color: Black)
26. JG Metal 300rd Hi-Cap Magazine for M4/M16 Series Airsoft AEG Rifles (Package: Single Magazine)
27. AEG Battery Starter Package w/ Smart Charger (Battery: 9.6v 1600mAh Small Butterfly Type)
28. Matrix Iron Face Carbon Steel "Striker" Gen2 Metal Mesh Lower Half Mask – Black
29. AIM Green Laser Sight Aiming Module System w/ Integrated Mount
30. CYMA Full Metal M870 3-Round Burst Multi-Shot Shell Loading Airsoft Shotgun (Model: Full Stock Full Metal)
31. Evike Zombie Stopper 30 Round Shells for Multi & Single-Shot Airsoft Shotguns (Qty: 12 Pack)
32. 6mmProShop Custom Airsoft AEG Sub-Machine Gun (Model: Swordfish-A4 - Optic + Mag Package)
33. Evike.com / Tenergy NiMH High Output Butterfly Type Battery with Small Tamiya Connector for Airsoft AEG (Size: 9.6V 1600mAh)
34. AIM Sports M1 Garand / AK Type Rifle Sling - (Tan)
35. Avengers Lightweight MOLLE Patrol Pack (Color: Black)
36. (Black November Deal!) 3-9X40 Professional Scope for Airsoft Rifles with Scope Rings
37. Condor Garner 6" Size Zip Tactical Boot - Black (Size: 7)
38. Foxeer Legend 2 35mm Ultra HD Airsoft Action Camera with 20mm Rail Mount
39. Avengers 6D9T4A Tactical Vest with Magazine and Radio Pouches (Color: Urban Serpent)
40. Hazard 4 Stick-Up Modular Universal Pistol Holster (Color: Black)
41. AIM All Purpose Silicone Lubricant Oil Spray for Airsoft / Firearm (QTY: Two Bottle)
42. Spare shell set of 6 for HFC / G2 and compatible Gas Revolver series

Dibyendu

Bhaskara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bhaskara » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:30 pm

So I emailed them on the 14th of last month, and till now got no reply, nothing. Tracking in IndiaPost shows "retained for unspecified reasons", last updated on 2nd of November. I suppose there is no hope.

rushi_p85
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rushi_p85 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:17 pm

Bhaskara wrote:So I emailed them on the 14th of last month, and till now got no reply, nothing. Tracking in IndiaPost shows "retained for unspecified reasons", last updated on 2nd of November. I suppose there is no hope.
Have you got your scope?